Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minimum rear brake rotor thickness?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
My rear rotors are badly pitted from rust, and I don't want to wait for new rotors to drive the car. Just got my new calipers from PMB Performance.

My local Firestone shop is the only place around that still turns rotors, but they refuse to turn mine because they do not have a spec for the minimum rotor thickness. They say it's an issue of legal liability. Pretty sure my rotors ('76, 66k miles) have never been turned.

Anyone here have that minimum thickness spec for the rear rotors?

TIA!

GN

PS: Yes, I'm impatient - wanted to be driving the 914 this weekend......won't have new rotors until Monday.........
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jun 12 2019, 04:45 AM) *

My rear rotors are badly pitted from rust, and I don't want to wait for new rotors to drive the car. Just got my new calipers from PMB Performance.

My local Firestone shop is the only place around that still turns rotors, but they refuse to turn mine because they do not have a spec for the minimum rotor thickness. They say it's an issue of legal liability. Pretty sure my rotors ('76, 66k miles) have never been turned.

Anyone here have that minimum thickness spec for the rear rotors?

TIA!

GN

PS: Yes, I'm impatient - wanted to be driving the 914 this weekend......won't have new rotors until Monday.........

Sure if you're in a hurry go ahead and put them on with a set of new pads Which will compensate with their thickness for any issues then replace your rotors when you get the time. This advice given with a disclaimer of liability on the advice of counsel..... idea.gif
JeffBowlsby
Rotors should have their min thickness embossed into the rotor edge.
Gatornapper
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 12 2019, 07:07 AM) *

Rotors should have their min thickness embossed into the rotor edge.

Jeff -

Apparently they did not do this back in '76........

Guys - cancel my request.......AutoAtlanta is getting me new rotors by Friday for a low Priority Mail shipping cost......yay!

GN
dr914@autoatlanta.com
8.0 mm marked on the side but very hard to see on an old rusted rotor. We have plenty in stock if you need them by friday
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.