Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No E-Brake Flash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlacaProductions
Greetings,
I’m away from the car and trying to do reserach on this so that I’m good to go when I get back. ’74 - single turn signal indicator tach.

Most have a constant flash from not resetting the MC switch after a brake issue or a ground issue at the e-brake handle. Mine seems to be the opposite - I have no light/flash.

No e-brake flashing light in the gauge and no clicks can be heard when e-brake is pulled.
turn signals/4-ways - everything else functions/flashes as normal.
e-brake switch and ground wire at the handle appear to be ok.

Is my flasher bad/incorrect? @Spoke - do I need one of your EP26’s? I’m wondering this because the car is new to me and may have had the relay replaced with an improper replacement (I know they’re not really available…)

Spoke
The '74-'76 schematic of the turnsignals and brake warning indicators is below.

The OEM flasher is designed to not hyperflash when a turnsignal bulb is out so it can flash the brake warning lights at the normal 1 second speed.

If the flasher is not the OEM flasher, the brake warning light when the ebrake or MC switch is on, then one would expect the light(s) to light and not flash.

If you have no light at all, then either the bulb is bad or the switches are not working or not connected.
FlacaProductions
ok - understood.
It could be as simple as a burnt out bulb...yes.

Is there ANY connection between that warning lamp and the seatbelt lockout wiring under the passenger seat? Or the FASTEN SEAT BELT light in the dash (which does not currently light and I don't really expect it to with the interlock bypass completed) and I believe the common thread for all of this is the emergency brake handle....

The reason I ask is that I have the blk/red and blk wires that are shown at the top of this pic connected to each OTHER but not in the connector that connects (sheesh) them to the 3 black wires. This was discovered when tracking down an inoperable cabin light. These two wires were NOT connected and once they were, the light operates correctly. What do the other 3 black wires connect to? (That's a lot of connecting...I hope I was clear...)

In any event - thank you for the input - I know this is in your wheelhouse and you've addressed this topic many times before - but each situation is juuuuust a little different.

Click to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jun 12 2019, 03:11 PM) *

ok - understood.
It could be as simple as a burnt out bulb...yes.

Is there ANY connection between that warning lamp and the seatbelt lockout wiring under the passenger seat? Or the FASTEN SEAT BELT light in the dash (which does not currently light and I don't really expect it to with the interlock bypass completed) and I believe the common thread for all of this is the emergency brake handle....

The reason I ask is that I have the blk/red and blk wires that are shown at the top of this pic connected to each OTHER but not in the connector that connects (sheesh) them to the 3 black wires. This was discovered when tracking down an inoperable cabin light. These two wires were NOT connected and once they were, the light operates correctly. What do the other 3 black wires connect to? (That's a lot of connecting...I hope I was clear...)

In any event - thank you for the input - I know this is in your wheelhouse and you've addressed this topic many times before - but each situation is juuuuust a little different.

Click to view attachment

The answer is yes for the 73 MY. All those circuits are switched grounds including the cabin light which is grounded through the door switch. The seat belt lamp has a diode IIRC but it is also a switched ground as is the e brake handle.

If memory serves in between the 74 MY they changed that setup.

For my old 73 the light flashed letting me know the door switch was bad or the door was open.
FlacaProductions
I'll check it asap - i don't think my previous 73 flashed when the door was open but the added circuitry of a 74 under the passenger seat certainly changes things....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.