Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight - early vs late
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
It might have been discussed before but I just realized there are different versions of the headlight carrier. Early is on the right with orange overspray.
Dion
Interesting. Never noticed. I’ll have to check my spares. Neat catch Mark.
mepstein
I'm guessing the bracket on the later part was easier or faster to weld to the rod.
bdstone914
@mepstein

I'm guessing the bracket on the later part was easier or faster to weld to the rod.

I think they changed when they went to the black
trim rings and black surrounds. 74 or 75?
preach
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 13 2019, 09:44 PM) *

That and looks like it ma have bends on the left and right sides for strength?
Olympic 914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 13 2019, 10:16 PM) *

@mepstein

I think they changed when they went to the black
trim rings and black surrounds. 74 or 75?

Early '73 car with black headlight surrounds. bracket like one on the left.

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
So, I have learned a bit on these parts tonight. It seems that there is a righty and a lefty. Word is that an "L" and an "R" are stamped on the side somewhere.

What I want to know is what the hell is the welded "U" do? I know there is a big headed nut that the U can catch on. But is it part of the beam adjustment? Does it do something in a night time collision?

What does it do? Which will answer the Why does it need adjustment?
bdstone914
@ malcolm2
sad.gif

So, I have learned a bit on these parts tonight. It seems that there is a righty and a lefty. Word is that an "L" and an "R" are stamped on the side somewhere.

What I want to know is what the hell is the welded "U" do? I know there is a big headed nut that the U can catch on. But is it part of the beam adjustment? Does it do something in a night time collision?

What does it do? Which will answer the Why does it need adjustment?

That is the stop which contacts the adjusting bolt which limits upward travel.
I read your other thread. I have not used that led brand but others I have used are tricky to get to boot on. I think late and early carriers can be swapped. Do you have the left on the left and right on the right sides?
malcolm2
I read your other thread. I have not used that led brand but others I have used are tricky to get to boot on. I think late and early carriers can be swapped. Do you have the left on the left and right on the right sides?

Gonna have to open it all up again tomorrow. I do know i have an early version on the left and a late version on the right.

I installed the LED that fit. It really is bright. Old Drivers side looks yellow.

Got a lead on the proper carrier so i guess i am getting that one vs. grinding the nubs off.
Mikey914
I suspect the change over was a redesign that occurred the same time they went to the black in late 72 early 73. Completely different set up brushes, and a flap.
These are the early parts

And yes the LED lights make a HUGE diference.
We have a new version that will do a GB on shortly. It's one of the best upgrades you can do to these cars. I'd rank it right behind brakes and motor, and much less expensive to do!
SirAndy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 9 2019, 08:16 PM) *

agree.gif

To be precise, it is NOT for adjusting the lights. When the light is fully opened, the threaded rod should just barely touch that part to prevent the light from wiggling while driving.

It is NOT a stop for the headlight since the motor is on a continuous cycle and needs no mechanical stopping.
shades.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2019, 04:13 PM) *

agree.gif

To be precise, it is NOT for adjusting the lights. When the light is fully opened, the threaded rod should just barely touch that part to prevent the light from wiggling while driving.

It is NOT a stop for the headlight since the motor is on a continuous cycle and needs no mechanical stopping.
shades.gif

I found it in Dr 914's book. He says, it is to keep the head light from tilting back AT HIGH SPEEDS. driving-girl.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2019, 02:13 PM) *

agree.gif

shades.gif

Thanks for the clarification.
Bruce
partwerks
What is the procedure for setting the lights, so they are flush with the brows, when in the down position?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.