Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 Quiet muffler needed.... Opinions please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
Hey y'all, my GT has a much to loud and drone-y B&B muffler, I need quiet.

As some may know I have a hotrodded 3.6 993 that needs to breathe, so a stock muffler... is no bueno. I am thinking of the "Dansk Sport" muffler that is 3.2/3.6 compatible.

Opinions please on what y'all are running?

Thanks.... Marv biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
What Mark just said. beerchug.gif
mepstein
And for some additional money, Ben can modify the look and function.
Steve
I’m running Ben’s quiet muffler on my 3.2. I did not notice any power loss compared to the Triad I was running before. But no more drone and I can now here the stereo and carry on a conversation with a passenger.
burton73
https://vimeo.com/337333261

https://vimeo.com/337332800

How does this sound?

Bob B
burton73
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13EebfmiEFE

One more to hear the drone or no drone.

This is a Dansk sport. PMB got it for me. This is the 20 Min Cam break in

Bob B

3.0 with 3.2 big valve heads with special cam and PMO 46s
gereed75
I beta tested Ben’s quiet muff during a full track weekend on my 2.4 S motored six - no drone, very quiet (at least as quiet as stock, maybe quieter), no noticeable performance difference to a stock muff. Beautifully built.
PanelBilly
I had a custom one made and am happy with the results. It doesn't have a pipe hanging out, but exhausts at the corner of the valance

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Jun 17 2019, 09:55 AM) *
As some may know I have a hotrodded 3.6 993 that needs to breathe, so a stock muffler... is no bueno. I am thinking of the "Dansk Sport" muffler that is 3.2/3.6 compatible.

I have a set of PMS "Laguna" mufflers. Named aptly because they can pass the sound check at Laguna Seca.

I think they are a perfect fit for the 3.6L, quiet around town and on the freeway but sound angry above 4000+ rpm.

They are surprisingly effective even though they have no restrictions for gas flow, the outlet size you see at the end goes straight through.
driving.gif
horizontally-opposed
Good options above. Consider your local muffler shop, also, particularly if they are good.

The wildest 914 I ever tried was a 3.8 that held the normally-aspirated lap record for POC at Big Willow circa 2002 or so. When you stood on it, you could hear it for a mile, but that was due to Motec with ITBs and no filters. All intake.

When the guy reached in the window and started the car, it was quiet as a Cadillac. I want to say it was a Cadillac muffler, too...and the car clearly wasn't slow.
Carl La Fong
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 17 2019, 05:47 PM) *

I have a set of PMS "Laguna" mufflers. Named aptly because they can pass the sound check at Laguna Seca.

I think they are a perfect fit for the 3.6L, quiet around town and on the freeway but sound angry above 4000+ rpm.

They are surprisingly effective even though they have no restrictions for gas flow, the outlet size you see at the end goes straight through.
driving.gif

I had those on the Screaming Yellow Zonker. I thought they sounded great. My wife? Not so much. av-943.gif
Larmo63
Marv's amazing car has no heat, so heat exchangers won't be needed.

(at least I don't think they will)
campbellcj
I've been really happy with the Dansk SS 2in/1out 70mm sport muffler. It has the classic 911/914-6 sound and 'banana' design, but a bit throatier and seems to flow better. I lucked-out and found one new from a private party at around 1/2 price.
Luke M
After looking around at a few different options I went with Ben's SS headers and SS quiet dual tip muffler. I have a while before I install my setup so can't say for sure what it's gonna sound like. Based on what a few people have said the combo shouldn't be louder then stock.
mb911
The dual outlets are louder but as quiet as a 2 out can be.. 2 in 1 outs are the quietest.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 18 2019, 05:39 AM) *

I've been really happy with the Dansk SS 2in/1out 70mm sport muffler. It has the classic 911/914-6 sound and 'banana' design, but a bit throatier and seems to flow better. I lucked-out and found one new from a private party at around 1/2 price.

Thank you for all the replies.... this community is amazing.

This one here from campbellcj confirms my thinking. It is also supported by Steve Wong who made my custom chip, he assured that my engine will perform as intended. Lastly I think this one is the natural evolution... i/e what the factory would have done if they built a 3.6 914. I am in no hurry to do this and will most likely wait to find one on the used market because it is fun to do.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Jun 17 2019, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 17 2019, 05:47 PM) *

driving.gif

I had those on the Screaming Yellow Zonker. I thought they sounded great. My wife? Not so much. av-943.gif

Coolest 914 ever imho
(Yellow zonker)
mb911
I really think the absolutely best design is what the factory mufflers were. I have built 1000s of exhaust in my life both with my current cottage business and when I owned m&k .. I have tried it all. I made my 914-6werkshop quiet muffler a copy of the factory muffler with a little larger internals and all hand TIG welded stainless construction. It is lighter then stock and same sound levels and even more important engineering concept by porsche In 1965 so it isn't just a shop drawing idea.. It's based on what the factory did which in every dyno run I have ever seen has pointed to solid hp numbers.

Just food for thought.
Jeff Hail

You getting old on us Marv? biggrin.gif

Jeff
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jun 18 2019, 05:17 PM) *

You getting old on us Marv? biggrin.gif

Jeff

Why yes I am. And yes I wear earplugs every time I drive the car. It's noisy as shcnit, it's so noisy the wife won't even ride in it. So yeah, I hear ya.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 18 2019, 03:28 PM) *

I really think the absolutely best design is what the factory mufflers were. I have built 1000s of exhaust in my life both with my current cottage business and when I owned m&k .. I have tried it all. I made my 914-6werkshop quiet muffler a copy of the factory muffler with a little larger internals and all hand TIG welded stainless construction. It is lighter then stock and same sound levels and even more important engineering concept by porsche In 1965 so it isn't just a shop drawing idea.. It's based on what the factory did which in every dyno run I have ever seen has pointed to solid hp numbers.

Just food for thought.

is there a YouTube vid with one installed on a 3.6 available? Would like to hear. Thanks Ben.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Jun 18 2019, 05:25 PM) *
So yeah, I hear ya.

What ?
sixnotfour
boxster ??
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Jun 18 2019, 07:41 PM) *

is there a YouTube vid with one installed on a 3.6 available?

Here's a Youtube vid of my Tangerine-6 muffler on a 3.6L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuPlJRnN1i4
campbellcj
FWIW This is the Dansk I recently installed.

Dansk Catalog: http://catalogue.jpgroup.dk/pdf/PorscheDansk.pdf

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
I have a few options for this car. The Triad quiet/street -6 version may be another option for the PO to consider. (This one shown below will be posted for sale shortly. My engine/car does not run as well with that type of muffler.)

Click to view attachment
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 18 2019, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Jun 18 2019, 05:25 PM) *
So yeah, I hear ya.

What ?

Um what.... hearing loss from loud musiXXX I mean muffler.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 19 2019, 07:05 AM) *

Any idea the weight of the Dansk?
campbellcj
I don't know the weight but...too much! It's shockingly heavy compared to the open megaphones I had on the car for many years.
mb911
No disrespect to the triad but please consider the flow path of that muffler. They sound great and are inexpensive no doubt but basic flow dynamics here don't lend to a positive result.. And even though I use to own m&k the R pictured is in the same boat though improved over the Triad.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 18 2019, 03:28 PM) *

Just food for thought.

Ben... how much does the "quiet muffler" weigh? Thanks.
Steve
Keith and I will be at the Crystal Cove Cars & Coffee tomorrow morning at 7am and then onto the San Clemente Cars & Coffee at 8:30. Keith (914toy) and I both have Bens quiet muffler installed. Mine is a stock 3.2 with injection and Keith has a 2.7 with Weber’s. The muffler is lighter than other stock mufflers and the triad I had before. It is really nice being able to here the stereo, have conversations with passengers, etc. with this quiet muffler. Also no drone, whatsoever.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 21 2019, 08:13 AM) *

Keith and I will be at the Crystal Cove Cars & Coffee tomorrow morning at 7am and then onto the San Clemente Cars & Coffee at 8:30. Keith (914toy) and I both have Bens quiet muffler installed. Mine is a stock 3.2 with injection and Keith has a 2.7 with Weber’s. The muffler is lighter than other stock mufflers and the triad I had before. It is really nice being able to here the stereo, have conversations with passengers, etc. with this quiet muffler. Also no drone, whatsoever.

Thanks Steve. Good to know about sound and drone. I was coming back from WCR and in heavy traffic on the 605, the loudness & drone did me in... time for a change. Will not be at Cars n Coffee as I am heading out on vaca. I am not in a big hurry and would like to take a listen and a short ride in your car sometime.

smile.gif
dwelle
i have a '95 3.6 with B&B headers and started running this dansk/patrick motorsports muffler last year. i wanted that style to keep with the GT thing. it's pretty moderate sound wise under normal driving, but comes on strong when you put your foot in it. no drone for me at any RPM's. i find it very reasonable, and not nearly as loud as the M&K on my 911.
Click to view attachment
marv, i might like to connect with you about your cooling system. i've maxed mine out and it's not enough for the summer time heat here. currently looking for better options...
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(dwelle @ Jun 21 2019, 09:34 AM) *

i have a '95 3.6 with B&B headers and started running this dansk/patrick motorsports muffler last year. i wanted that style to keep with the GT thing. it's pretty moderate sound wise under normal driving, but comes on strong when you put your foot in it. no drone for me at any RPM's. i find it very reasonable, and not nearly as loud as the M&K on my 911.
Click to view attachment
marv, i might like to connect with you about your cooling system. i've maxed mine out and it's not enough for the summer time heat here. currently looking for better options...

Hi dwelle welcome to the world. My cooling system is straight from Patrick Motorsports. However I did some custom mods to it. There is an extensive build thread on my car here on the world it documents the cooler install. There is a link to it on the bottom of my signature. BTW your car....Damn sweet dude.. badass.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dwelle @ Jun 21 2019, 09:34 AM) *
i have a '95 3.6 with B&B headers and started running this dansk/patrick motorsports muffler last year.

@dwelle

bye1.gif
dwelle
hi andy.

just remembered i never replied to your PM over at pelican.

that's a great solution to cooing, but i'm trying to get mine cool without going thru the hood.

the search continues...
ChrisFoley
A pair of Setrab dual fan pack coolers works pretty good.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Heat shield
Click to view attachment
914Toy
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Jun 21 2019, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 21 2019, 08:13 AM) *

Thanks Steve. Good to know about sound and drone. I was coming back from WCR and in heavy traffic on the 605, the loudness & drone did me in... time for a change. Will not be at Cars n Coffee as I am heading out on vaca. I am not in a big hurry and would like to take a listen and a short ride in your car sometime.

smile.gif

FYI, Agree with Steve, but I have a low level drone under power in the low 2000rpm range, but I like it as it is not loud and reminds me of the sporty nature of these 6"s with Ben's mufflers. - a gapped compromise beerchug.gif
Keith, 914Toy.
mb911
Under 2000rpm my stock 18 Silverado has a low level drone. That is just lugging of an engine below its power band.. That's the nice thing about mufflers they all just move the drone up or down in the rpm range.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.