Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hot coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vmills
does anyone else's coil get very hot after not much time running? is this normal or do we have something hooked up incorrectly. The car starts and idles and drives. 1974 1.8 with stock l-jet.

also, is there any easy/cheap way to secure the rear window so it doesn't rattle and shake and make noise all the time?

thanks in advance for any help
Rand
It's normal for a coil to get hot. Not sure how hot is too hot.

Here's a classic thread on the rear window.
rhodyguy
you need to pull the rear window and replace the butyl. the old stuff will be hard as nails. you will prob scratch the paint when scrapping it off then you will wind up...
grasshopper
be carefull....I think i am the only person that this has ever happened to, but when i first started my motor after the pervious owner parked it in 1984...i replaced the coil, and it got REALLY HOT. It then exploded in the engine compartment. It caused some damage in the campartment also, because of the force. just be carefull
vmills
The coil is hotter than they get in other cars. Pretty hot to the touch, like you wouldn't want to hold on to it for too long with your bare hand.

thanks a lot for the link to the other thread

vic
Long Prong
sounds like the coil is dead...or something. Somethin' aint right.
SLITS
If the temperature of the coil makes you nervous, take it off the engine and move it to the firewall. Heat is generated by the electricity passing thru the coil and the temp of the engine doesn't help it any either.

The only time I ever had a coil explode (and burn my VW bus to the ground) was when the ignition was on, points were closed and the engine was not running. Lesson learned...............

vmills
I don't think the coil is dead, it's relatively new and we get a pretty good spark. What are all the wires that go on the coil and where do they come from? I think we have 5 on (the car isn't here, it's at my friend's house)...the tach, the ECU (main FI wiring harness), one from the relay board (port 6 on that 12 port connector I do believe), and 2 more I think, I don't remember where they're from though. does this sound right?

thanks
SLITS
How 'bout three........

1. + from ignition (relay board)

2. tach (relay board)

3. green from (dizzy) points
vmills
hmmmmmmmm...i bet that has something to do with our hot coil then....

thanks
vmills
Are you sure there shoulnd't be another one on there from the ECU? I really thought I saw that in haynes...it comes from the port #1 on the big ecu connector in the FI harness.

but I could be mistaken...i'm not very knowledgable about any of this stuff....all I do know is that there were definitely more than 3 wires on the coil when we got it - but we also got it right after it had an engine fire. there were also extra spark plugs floating around in the cooling maniforld - ha - i don't know how the car ran or at least how he could've driven it with spark plugs banging around in the back before we got it, but the owner said that it made daily trips from here to milwaukee.

thanks again for all the help.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jun 26 2005, 12:09 PM)
How 'bout three........

1. + from ignition (relay board)

2. tach (relay board)

3. green from (dizzy) points

L-Jet has 4.

Black one on the positive side of the coil to feed power.

Green one on the negative side of the coil that goes to the points.

Black with red stripe on the negative side of the coil for the tach.

White one on the negative side of the coil for the Fuel Injection tach signal.

If you have anything else there, you are going to have problems.

vmills
excellent

thank you, i'll investigate what that 5th wire is...maybe we don't even have it, i don't remember.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.