Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any way to ID cylinders?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chi-town
Before I pull a head off my mystery motor aka 72-73 bus 1.7 case drilled for 914 dipstick with 914 heads and 130-140psi cold compression.

Is there any way to ID a cylinder from the exterior?
Mark Henry
Size? No
You have to remove the head and measure or it's often stamped on the piston top.
Check the head part number, if the head is 1.7 good chance the rest of the engine is 1.7

There may be a way on an engine stand to measure the sweep volume with a measured fluid, but I'll have a head off/on and measured many hours before you had this done.

While you're in there also measure the stroke, common to put a 2.0 crank and rods in a 1.7 case. Of course first clue would be stock 94mm pistons.
Chi-town
Thanks Mark, I'll pull the head and see what surprises await laugh.gif
VaccaRabite
With cold compression that good, why look? Add fuel and see how it runs.

Zach
Chi-town
It's just so I know what I'm selling smile.gif
jcd914
Get a bore scope and go in through the spark plug hole and see if you can read markings on the pistons.
colingreene
well what is it
porschetub
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 19 2019, 11:04 AM) *

Get a bore scope and go in through the spark plug hole and see if you can read markings on the pistons.

Can your bore-a-scope read through a carbon layer on the top of the piston...not likely lol-2.gif screwy.gif .
Sorry but "thems the facts".
The answer is no as mentioned.
jcd914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 18 2019, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 19 2019, 11:04 AM) *

Can your bore-a-scope read through a carbon layer on the top of the piston...not likely lol-2.gif screwy.gif .

It depends on what you have in the way of carbon build up, you can see a lot close up with a bore scope.

And if you could read, I said "see if you can read" but apparently you would rather put your time and effort into insults and ridicule than actually paying attention to what was posted.

Jim

Chi-town
Well the Pistons were shiney when I looked in with my bore scope before I test ran it so there's a possibility of there are markings on the crown.

I'm probably just going to pull the head just because
euro911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 18 2019, 07:24 AM) *
Size? No
You have to remove the head and measure or it's often stamped on the piston top.
Check the head part number, if the head is 1.7 good chance the rest of the engine is 1.7

There may be a way on an engine stand to measure the sweep volume with a measured fluid, but I'll have a head off/on and measured many hours before you had this done.

While you're in there also measure the stroke, common to put a 2.0 crank and rods in a 1.7 case. Of course first clue would be stock 94mm pistons.
Make sure you avoid inserting chopsticks in the sparky-plug hole(s) to measure the stroke laugh.gif
porschetub
[quote name='jcd914' date='Jun 19 2019, 04:27 PM' post='2723767']
[quote name='porschetub' post='2723695' date='Jun 18 2019, 05:18 PM']
[quote name='jcd914' post='2723671' date='Jun 19 2019, 11:04 AM']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It depends on what you have in the way of carbon build up, you can see a lot close up with a bore scope.

And if you could read, I said "see if you can read" but apparently you would rather put your time and effort into insults and ridicule than actually paying attention to what was posted.

quote,

Wow ,sorry you are sensitive to my reply ,not my intention to piss you off,just stating fact in this situation.

Chi-town
It was a 1.8 (92mm bore/66mm stroke)
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jun 21 2019, 09:42 AM) *

It was a 1.8 (92mm bore/66mm stroke)

1.8 is 93mm, 1.7 is smaller at 90mm so likely it's a 1.8 and you knocked the tool somehow.
Chi-town
More likely I'm blind laugh.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jun 21 2019, 02:43 PM) *

More likely I'm blind laugh.gif

I hear you...I need glasses for my glasses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.