Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keep or Sell?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
I bought my '74 2.0 about ten years ago.

At the time, my DD was an appliance-like Kia and I missed sporty driving. However, I'd also just had a second kid. Now my kids are 10 & 12 years old, have lots of activities, and I have a DD that I love to drive. As a result, the 914 rarely gets driven. It still puts a huge grin on my face, but I go out of my way to drive it once every few weeks and then worry about what maintenance will be needed soon.

The Car
1974 914 2.0
L 13 M (Chrome Yellow), resprayed once poorly by a PO; mahogany interior
Mahle wheels (complete set of 5)
Engine had single Weber Progressive carb when I bought it, I've since had it rebuilt to 2056cc (well documented, parts from European Motorworks) with dual EMPI HMPX 40mm carbs.
Rebuilt the transmission with Dr. Evil.
Mileage is unknown; odometer was frozen when I got it. Presume 150K. About 4K since the engine rebuild.

One consideration: My 12 year old is a few years away from learning to drive, and I don't think he'll be driving the 914 (at least, not primarily). If we get him a car, that's four cars (including my wife's minivan), which just seems excessive.

I do love to drive it when the weather is right, but someone else would probably get more joy out of it than I do lately.

I feel like the value's appreciated a good bit; no idea if it'll continue to do so... Of course, on the whole, I've invested far more than I'll get back by selling.
bandjoey
I'll pick it up Saturday to take the misery of this car out of your sight... biggrin.gif

Keep It! Not only is it a joy to drive buy going up in value every year for when you're too old to drive a stick.
mepstein
As soon as you sell it, you will regret it.
mzalanka
Hard call. You've had it 10 years and I assume its a great driver. Ultimately it's going to be up to you and your priorities.

You did ask for advice, and, again, you've had it for a decade. Your post implies that you are at the very least ambivalent about selling and therefore this isn't the right time. If it isn't a hard "yes" right now then you shouldn't sell.

If you aren't hurting for the money, and have somewhere to stash it, my take would be to see what it's like to live a summer without it. Prep it for long-term storage and park it for a year, maybe longer. Insure it for comprehensive only to reduce the insurance cost. Actively try to not think about driving it, or maintenance, or selling, or whatever. Don't check Craigslist to see what the latest ask is like. Set a date on the calendar for sometime in 2020 or 2021. The seals will survive a year or two. I had a crated engine in dry storage for five years before I fired it up and it was fine.

Then when that day comes, you park the S, daily drive the teener for a week, and make your decision. You might find that it's great to not have to worry about oil and plugs and jets and your decision to let it go is easy. Or you might find that you really miss having a car you can tinker on. You don't have a concours car and you've gotten 10 years of (hopefully hard) driving out of it. The value could go up, it could go down, but for a Model S guy biggrin.gif we're talking relative peanuts. The value and what it could sell for is probably irrelevant, quite honestly.

Good luck.
ndfrigi
keep it if u really don’t need cash from it and if u have a dry storage/garage space for it. and yes you will regret later if you sell it. For sure your son will love acquiring it in the future!
914_7T3
QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 19 2019, 01:47 PM) *

One consideration: My 12 year old is a few years away from learning to drive, and I don't think he'll be driving the 914 (at least, not primarily). If we get him a car, that's four cars (including my wife's minivan), which just seems excessive.

How so?

confused24.gif

"Keep It"
mtndawg
Here's what I did... I have had 3 914's over the last few years. When My son was born I sold the 914 and bought a 996 because it has a small back seat, then when I came across a 914 that needed light work I pulled the trigger and have worked on it during the last couple of years while also driving the other car. Here's an idea...sell your current car and buy another in a year or two that needs some work and refresh it with your son so he's been involved in the process.
Mark Henry
If you save it for your son you will be the coolest dad in town and you'll have one of the very few kids that can drive stick.

thelogo
I also dont really drive it enough and thats
A waste in my opinion
Since the guy who sold it to me said he didnt drive it much and wanted it to go to someone who would actually drive it . and i told him i was that guy piratenanner.gif

Since im single ive held onto the car but wub.gif

If i had a wife, kids etc etc.

Something tells me i definitely would have sold mine.
wub.gif wub.gif
iankarr
If 4 cars are excessive, I’m in real trouble.

As for whether you should sell...ask yourself “does it bring me joy?”
flipb
Appreciate all the input. I guess since it's my first weekend/fun car, I've never thought about the decision criteria for when to keep or sell it. Every other car I've ever sold was a Daily that was being replaced by something else.

We have a one-car garage and the wife is remarkably understanding about letting the 914 live therein.

I know this site is filled with threads about people trying to track down the 914 they sold "way back when". I'm sure if I let it go there would be some regret. And I don't need the cash right now; I just don't want to get to a point where "warm up the 914" is a chore that I have to remind myself to do every few weeks. Also, if I keep it, it's probably time for another substantial project -- new fuel lines (they aren't original but I'd feel better with metal), lots of new seals, handful of other things.

The other thing weighing on me is that this car has been the ticket into two awesome communities... 914world, and Cars & Coffee events. I love bringing it to C&C; seems like every guy driving a $300K+ exotic comes by and says, "I once had a 914. Such a fun car."

They're not wrong.
flipb
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jun 19 2019, 09:54 PM) *

If 4 cars are excessive, I’m in real trouble.

The four in your signature are pretty close to my ideal. Maybe someday when driveway/garage space is more generous...
iankarr
Thanks. I guess my diagnosis would be automotive ADD with a predilection for 914s. Garage space is and will forever be the greatest challenge. Collecting watches is much easier, but less fun.

Btw the point you made about meeting people thru you car is the strongest argument. I can’t even begin to list all the great friendships my cars have fostered.
Mikey914
Only 4?
You know the answer. You will definitely regret selling it. Unless it's causing a marital rift, our your kid needs surgery, hold onto it.

May fair better than your 401K. Either way the dividends are priceless. driving.gif

steuspeed
74 is a good year. Probably 15-20K now and will keep going up. Get it on Hagerty insurance. I have 5 cars anda single garage. You can only drive one at a time. Does your wife have one pair of shoes? shades.gif
Racer
I've had similar "sell/keep" issues over the years with all my P cars. They have always been the 3rd or 4th car that is just an indulgence. I always want the weather to be perfect. For the trip to be special (nice weekend jaunt in the coun try, AX event, C&C etc). But with two active teens, I don't find as much time any more.. So.. I started making myself just use it. Maybe its taking the kid to practice? Maybe its the home depot run?

As you mention, an old car that keeps moving tends to need less "big maintenance" and because you use it, you tend to stay on top of its condition, instead of small item x growing into larger item y that then makes you just leave it under a cover in the garage.

My dad kept his 914 for 47 years. He had a bunch of other toys/kids/commitments along the way. Some years yeah, the car just sat.. other years, it was used a lot. If you have the space, don't need the money, and still enjoy it, I say, Keep it!

* btw, there is an autocross sunday with Potomac PCA.. sounds like a reason to break it out and use it!
JOEPROPER
I'd keep it. I'm sure i am not the only one here that has cars, motorcycles, boats etc that are not used much. I keep my stuff because it keeps me believing that one day, I will be able to use them which keeps my hope up. Collecting dust is better than no collection at all. (IMO)
Hopefully you'll make the decision that works best for you, but you probably already know the answer... Good luck!
Tdskip
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jun 20 2019, 12:56 AM) *

74 is a good year. Probably 15-20K now and will keep going up. Get it on Hagerty insurance. I have 5 cars anda single garage. You can only drive one at a time. Does your wife have one pair of shoes? shades.gif

Hagerty will almost certainly require the 914 stay garaged if that is a consideration.

The other side of the coin here is that if it is stressing you out having then it is time for it to go. They made a ton of these (relatively speaking) so they’re will be good cars for sale in the future.

If you aren’t having fun sell it. Yes it will cost you more if you decide to buy another one but you’ll have had the money from selling this one in your pocket that whole time too.
flipb
I've got it insured with Hagerty, I think for $16,000.

I'm also wondering if my next project list is worth doing regardless of whether I keep or sell; would want it to be in excellent shape either way.
poorsche914
Join the 120+ attendees at Okteenerfest in Banner Elk, NC (and the 60+ 914s) and then decide happy11.gif

driving.gif
Montreal914
Keep it and drive it! driving.gif

Many kids thinks this is such a cool car when I drop off my daughter to HS. Some dads are envious too... biggrin.gif

It's all faded but it's my DD smile.gif ...Groceries, kids practice, biking, work, coast rides, events. Just plain fun!

914's, meant to be driven and enjoyed! first.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 20 2019, 10:55 AM) *

Join the 120+ attendees at Okteenerfest in Banner Elk, NC (and the 60+ 914s) and then decide happy11.gif

driving.gif

That's my plan. I'm also thinking about selling my car in the fall but not before I drive it to Okteenerfest.
Beeliner
My mother bought a Jaguar XK-140 in 1956 at he same time they bought a Plymouth Fury. I was eight.
It was sold one year before I could drive. .......

We bought it back when I was 18.... My DD was a 914 starting age 21.

I sold the 140 years later without me asking my sister if she wanted it. She's the one eternally pissed off....

My grand daughter is 10... She gets the 914....

Keep yours...... Click to view attachment

Memories aren't the same as the real thing.....
mitchdiego1
QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 19 2019, 01:47 PM) *

I bought my '74 2.0 about ten years ago.

At the time, my DD was an appliance-like Kia and I missed sporty driving. However, I'd also just had a second kid. Now my kids are 10 & 12 years old, have lots of activities, and I have a DD that I love to drive. As a result, the 914 rarely gets driven. It still puts a huge grin on my face, but I go out of my way to drive it once every few weeks and then worry about what maintenance will be needed soon.

The Car
1974 914 2.0
L 13 M (Chrome Yellow), resprayed once poorly by a PO; mahogany interior
Mahle wheels (complete set of 5)
Engine had single Weber Progressive carb when I bought it, I've since had it rebuilt to 2056cc (well documented, parts from European Motorworks) with dual EMPI HMPX 40mm carbs.
Rebuilt the transmission with Dr. Evil.
Mileage is unknown; odometer was frozen when I got it. Presume 150K. About 4K since the engine rebuild.

I do love to drive it when the weather is right, but someone else would probably get more joy out of it than I do lately.

I feel like the value's appreciated a good bit; no idea if it'll continue to do so... Of course, on the whole, I've invested far more than I'll get back by selling.

I have had my 76 914 for 22 years, put a new motor in and first first 8 years it was a daily driver. got married 2001 with 2 young daughters (my youngest daughter hated me taking her to school in it) and I was broke, my trans went out in 2005 and my 914 sat. Oh I sat in it, started it, putted it as best I could until 2013. got a new trans and it was on. broke the muffler in 2016 and it sat for more 2 years!. about a month ago I pulled the plugs and sprayed some fogging oil in the cylinders and put new plugs and wires on, drained the old gas and put new gas in and it fired right up 1 turn of the switch! new muffler and it Just passed smog. I am getting it ready to get a new paint job. I would say don't sell. But that's just me! driving.gif driving.gif
worn
Space is probably the big problem. I bought a garage out of town. If your son learns to drive that car, he will be able to drive anything. He will be the coolest one at school. You will worry about him all the time. You will want side curtain air bags.
I will accept your car if you want and sell it back to you maybe. I am not thinking you will have much trouble getting rid of the car. I am lucky, i followed my sons into sports cars. Trying to keep up wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.