Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB:Engine compartment smog sticker for 1971 1.7L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
PCH
Mine's pretty tired after all these years and more importantly, I am having trouble getting the car registered here in California with the unreadable sticker (They just don't seem to have any compassion for undocumented 914s). In particular, I am looking for a 1971 engine compartment smog sticker.

Anyone have one laying around?
Chi-town
Smog sticker? There is one in 71'? Isn't it just the engine time up specification sticker?

I just lost titled my 75' and it doesn't have one
PCH
Yes- that tuning specifications sticker is what they consider the smog sticker.

The problem for me is that I am trying to register Sweet Pea in California and she came from out of state. Because of that, there is a whole list of stuff that has be be verified, including the "smog sticker" before she can be registered.

She may just need to ask for asylum.

Woodside914
I believe the 1971's are exempt from Calif. Smog Check....although, I'm not 100% on how that applies to Out-Of-State vehicles coming into California.
PCH

That is true. "71s are exempt from the smog check. But-they have to have the sticker in order to be registered in CA if they are from out of state.
Al Meredith
try Auto Atlanta There are several stickers on page 161 in their catalog AL
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
Chi-town
My 75 came from Washington and the just checked the box that said "none" while doing the VIN verification

@sixnotfour that's a crash safety standards lable

I would grab a 75 lable from AA and trim the last sentence off laugh.gif
branston
QUOTE(PCH @ Jun 19 2019, 06:08 PM) *

Mine's pretty tired after all these years and more importantly, I am having trouble getting the car registered here in California with the unreadable sticker (They just don't seem to have any compassion for undocumented 914s). In particular, I am looking for a 1971 engine compartment smog sticker.

have you tried these guys. I'm not sure exactly which decal you need, but scroll through their website or email them.

https://car-bone.pl/products/technical-stic..._generation=and

https://car-bone.pl/

913B
popcorn[1].gif

Interesting. I Will Be watching how it turn out for you. I see this in my future as well. Could you keep us (me) informed how it turns out ?

Thanks so much

Ted

subie/914
QUOTE(PCH @ Jun 19 2019, 05:08 PM) *

I recently registered my 71 that was from out of state and had the same problem. What I did to get around the crazy Ca registration red tape was this : I went to the samba website and looked up a vehicle emissions sticker for a 1971 type IV bus . The seller has two different types, one is Ca compliant and the other is federal. Get the Ca compliant. I then made the sticker look weathered slapped it on the driver side engine compartment under the grill so it made it difficult to see and before you know it I passed inspection at AAA. The sticker for the bus and 914 are very similar and the people at AAA more than likely won't know the difference. I will say that this method is not fool proof but it worked for me. I could not find the the sticker anywhere, no one is making it, so I took the 71 bus route and it worked. They will also look for three VIN #s on the car. 1. windshield 2. drivers side door jamb sticker 3. Front trunk passenger side fender plate.
Good luck and reach out to me if you have any questions on my experience registering my Arizona 914 here in Ca. driving.gif
subie/914
Sorry for the double post . I did some research to make sure the sticker is still available and it is. The original emission sticker actually has the vw logo on it just like the type 4 bus had. Just different specs that most non VW/Porsche people wouldn't understand.
Go to Thesamba : look up 1971 bus emissions sticker . sticker is two parts , Large and small that go together. Very reasonable price ! This cheap little sticker got me through the registration red tape! Make sure to get the Ca compliant version if you go this route !
Good luck and feel free to reach out to me with any questions on my experience . I:headbanger:
PCH
Thank you to everyone.

I'm happy to report Sweet Pea is now a legal vehicle in California. She passed using a '75 label from AA that got a haircut. The label goes in the engine compartment behind the driver's seat.

I can also see that Subie/914 also has a good solution to the sticker problem and I would have taken that route had I known about it sooner.

The real irony is that Sweet Pea was already sporting her original label but it was pretty faded and unreadable in the engine bay.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

913B
Thanks for update
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(PCH @ Jun 24 2019, 01:58 PM) *

Thank you to everyone.

I'm happy to report Sweet Pea is now a legal vehicle in California. She passed using a '75 label from AA that got a haircut. The label goes in the engine compartment behind the driver's seat.

I can also see that Subie/914 also has a good solution to the sticker problem and I would have taken that route had I known about it sooner.

The real irony is that Sweet Pea was already sporting her original label but it was pretty faded and unreadable in the engine bay.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

I like how you call it sweet pea laugh.gif Good to know for other people trying to register in Cali.

-Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.