Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Musing about 16 inch Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amfab
I was thinking today that 15 inch silver-petal w/ black background 5-lug Fuchs look best on a narrow body 914, but 16s give more tire options.

The problem I have with 16s is the wide silver band around the outside. It looks cool on the flared cars with 7s or 8s, but the 6 inch 16s look odd to me.

You can buy 17 or 18 inch Fuchs that have the center to rim ratio that look more like the 15s, but no one makes a 16 that looks like that, presumably because there are so many original 16s available that there isn’t much of a market for them.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has painted part of the wide silver rim on 16 inch Fuchs black—at least partially—to make it look more 15 inch-like. If no one has done this I guess I will just have to Photoshop one up to see what it looks like

-Andrew
mepstein
I've seen it done. Meh.
horizontally-opposed
I also prefer 15x6s on a narrow car, generally speaking, but your solution can be done pretty well—to the point that even Porsche people will miss the fact they're 16s.

The "most 15x6-ish" set of 16x6s I've seen are on a 912 with a four-cylinder 911 engine. It's pretty subtle from some angles. You can find the car by googling "Polo motor 912" or similar.
horizontally-opposed
The dead giveaway shot…
Larmo63
They look "better" painted that way, but not as good as 15s.

On another note, you gotta love Bahama Yellow. I grew up with my father's car in that color.

Were any 914s ever painted that color from the factory? (I've never seen one?)
sixnotfour
They look "better" painted that way,

agree.gif beerchug.gif
SKL1
I've actually got both styles, one for each 914. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
I cant wait to get my 16 x 7.5s weld ups, I made.. back from my son ,,going with the black out .. thumb3d.gif
HaraldD
Hello,

there are 7x16 and 8x16 944 Turbo wheels at my car.
They are anodized to the original finish like 15" wheels.
And I think, they looks great... ;-)

Harald

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
You are overthinking it... smile.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 20 2019, 12:35 AM) *

from the guy who drills holes in his door handles av-943.gif

btw 951 7s look better than 911 7s..x16

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 19 2019, 11:19 PM) *

I cant wait to get my 16 x 7.5s weld ups, I made.. back from my son ,,going with the black out .. thumb3d.gif

Nooooooooo.... biggrin.gif

Those are some of the best looking wheels under a narrow 914 I've ever seen. Just dialed. And I agree with you about 944 16x7s looking better than 911 16x7s—I just think these are even better looking. Hard to put my finger on why, but I think it has something to do with the way they stuff the fenders with tire.

Do you have any more pics? This, before you make them look like other wheels? poke.gif
sixnotfour
Do you have any more pics? This, before you make them look like other wheels?

not at the moment, but now that you mention it,, they have the inset painted silver,,i forgot that i polished the faces...
amfab
QUOTE(HaraldD @ Jun 19 2019, 11:20 PM) *

Hello,

there are 7x16 and 8x18 944 Turbo wheels at my car.
They are anodized to the original finish like 15" wheels.
And I think, they looks great... ;-)

Harald

Click to view attachment

The 7s or 8s do look great, its the 6 inch that look sort of strange to me. can I do 7s all the way around on a stock 74 narrow body with 195s or 205s?

-Andrew
amfab
That yellow car looks pretty good withe wheels painted that way. when I look close up on SKL1s wheels though I wonder what it would look like with 1/2 the silver painted...Like this:

Click to view attachment

and, yes, I am definitely overthinking it, especially since I already have a set of flat 15x6's.

I just put some Michelin 195/45-16 on my Fiat 500 and they are awesome and would make a good 914 tire, but they don't make them in 15
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 20 2019, 03:52 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 20 2019, 12:35 AM) *

from the guy who drills holes in his door handles av-943.gif

btw 951 7s look better than 911 7s..x16

That’s the point. dry.gif my car is done. Now, I can overthink things. He just needs wheels with round black tires...
sixnotfour
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 20 2019, 09:20 AM) *

Do you have any more pics? This, before you make them look like other wheels?

not at the moment, but now that you mention it,, they have the inset painted silver,,i forgot that i polished the faces...

only pic I can find,,because their in San Diego....
burton73
QUOTE(amfab @ Jun 20 2019, 08:25 AM) *

That yellow car looks pretty good withe wheels painted that way. when I look close up on SKL1s wheels though I wonder what it would look like with 1/2 the silver painted...Like this:

Click to view attachment

and, yes, I am definitely overthinking it, especially since I already have a set of flat 15x6's.

I just put some Michelin 195/45-16 on my Fiat 500 and they are awesome and would make a good 914 tire, but they don't make them in 15

Andrew,

You are on to something. Try an RS finish and have Rick at Fuchsrestoration.com do the extra black on the wheel like you have the idea for and call it an Andrew 6x16 black stripe special finish. I think that looks great.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.