Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct Airbox for a 914-6 on the Samba
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Mike Fitton
This is the correct plastic airbox for a 914-6, price negotiable with this seller. You will have to source the correct plastic snorkel which points opposite the 911 one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=1473294
rgalla9146
Mike...I beg to differ.
If someone needs an air filter housing that will probably work on a 6 this might do.
It is correctly described by the seller as a 911 part.
The plastic studs, plastic wing nuts and plastic vent tubes tell me this is for a MFI
911 probably '72-'73
It is not correct for a 914 6
If someone need photos for their search I will gladly post
Rory
Mike Fitton
Here you go, all the info you need to decide:

http://mail.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=213849
gereed75
Throwing in my two cents. Hate to disagree with two esteemed members, but at least early six’s had the provisions for the extra cold start injection lines and metal connection for the vent lines.

I suspect that there were variations on these over the two+ years that they were installed. I think everyone can agree, they were plastic and the snorkel pointed towards the distributor and the snorkel was smooth. As to the consistency of which wing nuts and vent connection (plastic or steel) and whether smooth (no cold start injector tubes) or not, I am not so sure. It is possible I quess that later cars got the no cold start injector, plastic vent fitting and nuts 911 boxes.

What about the holes between the inlet ports. My understanding is these are there on the six boxes to accommodate the carb vents, and not there on the 911 MFI boxes. I suppose this too could be inconsistent and therefore inconclusive, and they could be easily added to a 911 MFI box.
skier2.0
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 21 2019, 10:35 AM) *

Throwing in my two cents. Hate to disagree with two esteemed members, but at least early six’s had the provisions for the extra cold start injection lines and metal connection for the vent lines.

I suspect that there were variations on these over the two+ years that they were installed. I think everyone can agree, they were plastic and the snorkel pointed towards the distributor and the snorkel was smooth. As to the consistency of which wing nuts and vent connection (plastic or steel) and whether smooth (no cold start injector tubes) or not, I am not so sure. It is possible I quess that later cars got the no cold start injector, plastic vent fitting and nuts 911 boxes.

What about the holes between the inlet ports. My understanding is these are there on the six boxes to accommodate the carb vents, and not there on the 911 MFI boxes. I suppose this too could be inconsistent and therefore inconclusive, and they could be easily added to a 911 MFI box.

I believe they sit lower than the 911 covers so they don't interfer with the engine cover. Also they have clips and holes on the sides for the cold start injection tubes. These tube had a recall due to fires.
gereed75
Nope don’t sit lower. Box and mounts are identical to 911.
Mike Fitton
I thought the indent on the underside made it a 194-6 Box.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Here you go to add to the confusion This one has a bottom drain and a metal plug.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 22 2019, 10:58 PM) *

Here you go to add to the confusion This one has a bottom drain and a metal plug.

Now we're talkin'
rgalla9146
another
gereed75
I have both a known 911 and a known correct six at home. Won’t be there till Tuesday. Will check for the indent then and take a few pix. Pretty sure both have the indent. I am Certain early sixes had the injector line holes, metal vent T connection and metal snorkel studs.
johnhora
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jun 22 2019, 06:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Mike..
I believe the dent on the bottom is for clearance on the MFI pump in 911

Mike Fitton
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jun 23 2019, 11:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Mike..

Checking with the experts on the early911S, will report back.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jun 23 2019, 03:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Mike..

The MFI pump is on the drivers side.
db9146
I beg to differ......MFI pump on a 914-6 is on the passenger side.
johnhora
Yes in.911 engine fan faces rear so dent is on driver side
rgalla9146
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jun 23 2019, 11:52 PM) *

I beg to differ......MFI pump on a 914-6 is on the passenger side.

OK, No matter what chassis it's in, any engine with MFI has the pump
over the 1-2-3 cylinder bank.
The bump on the air filter housing pictured is over the 4-5-6 bank.
I don't know why.
I do know it is not for a 914 6
Maybe for the 914 6 Turbo ?
johnhora
OK I think I see what you are talking about now...

Correct:the MFI pump is on the 123 bank.
you are referring to the somewhat similar dent on the 456 under side
next to the plastic hose connector.

That is the side and area for the oil cooler "tunnel" in the fan shroud.
Maybe the dent was there for extra clearance with the 2.2S , 2.4 MFI or 2.7

Check out the fan shrouds in this picture....the 2.2 and 2.4 seem to have a larger "tunnel"

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...code-fan-shroud

What you think?

rgalla9146
The bottoms of the air filters of the two Sixes I currently own.
There were four others along the way.
No bump to accommodate anything.
rgalla9146
The additional duct to the oil cooler as seen on all 914 6s
This engine has all stock equipment with the exception of the K&N rainshields
and my pop bottle puke tank.
Please note the S registry 'color chart' does not list the additional duct on a
2.0 engine.
gereed75
Hmm, I dug out my two airboxes. thinking one was 911 and one was 914-6. Thinking one would be indented, one not. Turns out both are not indented and both have the carb vent tube holes. I guess I have two six boxes??

The snorkel on what I thought was a 911 box points the six way but has a intake air heat Y connection on it. So is this an improper mix and match, or did some 911 boxes have no indent and carb vent holes??
johnhora
did some 911 boxes have no indent and carb vent holes??

Yes the 911T with carbs was the same airbox just a different facing snorkel
it had the holes for the vent tubes

Many of the snorkels were changed by owners....they would use the later short snorkel to supposedly get more air with less restrictions...some even attached large venturi adapters to the snorkel plate to get more air.....then came along the KN and other type cleaners.....the long snorkel is said to compresses the air thus making a more dense mixture
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.