Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rotating CV Joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
troth
One of my CVs has been clicking lately. So I pulled them out while changing the clutch.

Definitely some putting in there, but I’m wondering if I can get away with just repacking and rotating them. My question is which way do you usually rotate them? Inside to outside, left to right, or both? Is it just the inner race that needs to move or the whole assembly?

Any rule of thumb for when new ones are definitely necessary?
tazz9924
QUOTE(troth @ Jun 21 2019, 07:27 AM) *

One of my CVs has been clicking lately. So I pulled them out while changing the clutch.

Definitely some putting in there, but I’m wondering if I can get away with just repacking and rotating them. My question is which way do you usually rotate them? Inside to outside, left to right, or both? Is it just the inner race that needs to move or the whole assembly?

Any rule of thumb for when new ones are definitely necessary?

usually if they start to click i replace them. That would indicate to me the clearances are larger than allowable and the joint is done. Maybe thats not the case but a set of beetle cvs cant be that much
Mark Henry
Run your finger through the bearing grooves, if you feel a divot it's done.
You can flip them, but CV's is such a sucky messy job I only use prefect used or new.
76-914
Right to left/left to right beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.