Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PORSCHE MUSEUM - 50th ANNIVERSARY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9146GUY
I just returned from a trip to Germany and was able to go to the Porsche Museum and look at both the 914 & 917 50th Anniversary displays. I was not impressed with the 914 display. One section of it was on the main floor and there were only a few cars displayed and they were hidden behind a half wall. The other section was in a service/restoration area between the souvenir shop and the open area snack shop. It had 6 or 7 cars on display, but you couldn’t access that area and the cars were very poorly displayed. Pictures had to be taken through the glass wall and the fluorescent lighting left a bit to be desired.

Anyway, I have the description of the cars in one photo and then the pictures of the referenced car follow. The link to my Google album follows:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7DmSqRBcKDZuJRxp6

Enjoy
Steve

If anyone is interested in the other display, the 917 display was awesome. The cars are obviously well lit and displayed where you can go right up to them and visit. I have the description of the cars in one photo and then the pictures of the referenced car follow. I have added a couple of additional pictures of non 917 cars at the end. The link to my Google 917 album follows:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F3iJspSqjK2q9sVT8
Firstcar
Steve,
Thanks for posting - these are great shots particularly considering the limited access. Funny how the museum refers to everything with more than the 911T engine a “914S”!
-Scott
Firstcar
QUOTE(Firstcar @ Jun 21 2019, 05:23 PM) *

Steve,
Thanks for posting - these are great shots particularly considering the limited access. Funny how the museum refers to everything with more than the 911T engine a “914S”!
-Scott

Just realized they were referring to the two 8 cylinder Piech and Porsche cars as the 914Ss and the basis for the 916.
ValcoOscar
On my bucket list to visit one day.

Thanks for sharing. Nice photos.

Oscar
burton73
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 21 2019, 02:41 PM) *

On my bucket list to visit one day.

Thanks for sharing. Nice photos.

Oscar

Oscar, you really have to go one day. It was one of the best things I have done in my adult life.
Steve, the collection of important 914 is superb. More even that was at the Luff show this year in importance of the cars and there were some great ones there. Surprising seeing a 916 and thinking it was a copy car. Yes, they were real!

That ¼ wall is a spot that some of the most important cars have been viewed.
A bigger surprise to me when they opened was I parked downstairs 25 ft. from the silver 914-8 that was a gift to Ferry Porsche. I was overexcited from that. I was only 60 at the time.

Yes Steve, thanks for posting

Cheers,

Bob B
914-300Hemi
Great photos. Thank you for sharing.
michael7810
Great pics. Thanks
falcor75
I'll be there in a week and a half, driving down from Sweden with the family. smile.gif
Unobtanium-inc
I love that the Factory is giving the 914 some love. Great shots by the way.
campbellcj
Really cool, thanks! I plan/hope to get there later this year during family vaca.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Thank you very much for doing this, too bad Porsche still does not care much for the 914. Also surprised that they would display a customer modified car. I guess that they will add a chevy v-8 or suburu powered 914 next? Porsche Atlanta headquarters will have a purer display starting July 14th and running for six months.
db9146
We were at the Porsche headquarters/Experience Center here in Atlanta back about a month ago. My family had given me a certificate for a Carrera S4 drive (what a blast).

I was really surprised that Porsche didn't have anything 914-related going on in the largest market they had for the 914!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jun 23 2019, 03:29 PM) *

We were at the Porsche headquarters/Experience Center here in Atlanta back about a month ago. My family had given me a certificate for a Carrera S4 drive (what a blast).

I was really surprised that Porsche didn't have anything 914-related going on in the largest market they had for the 914!!!

well they had something there, but July 14th will be the big day for the 914 move in

Click to view attachment
914four
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 24 2019, 10:35 AM) *

well they had something there, but July 14th will be the big day for the 914 move in

Are they planning a ceremony July 14th or will they just have the cars on display for the next few months?

Kelvin
Mueller
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 22 2019, 09:56 AM) *

Thank you very much for doing this, too bad Porsche still does not care much for the 914. Also surprised that they would display a customer modified car. I guess that they will add a chevy v-8 or suburu powered 914 next? Porsche Atlanta headquarters will have a purer display starting July 14th and running for six months.

Damn George, I didn't know you had such disdain for modified 914s. sad.gif

I think it is great they showed a non-factory modified car.

Not all your customers have stock 914s.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I tote the line. If there is an historic display at Porsche it should be cars in the stock dress as produced. Let the modifieds show up with the customers who own them OUTSIDE the museum.

We are putting seven cars into the Atlanta Porsche museum next Sunday, and they will all be representatives of what the factory originally produced, except for the wider factory Fuchs wheels on the m-471 and the graphics on the original Motor Trend car of the year. Will be:
m-471
matsuda black limited edition
white limited edition
red 16,000 mile 76
71 motor trend car
5406 mile willow green 71

Also the brumos GT will be in the display

I figured the first and the last of the four cylinders, the two colors of the limited edition the racing and non racing gts and the 916 to have a good display of factory cars

Steve and William are coming up and down to help detail them this coming week. Should be a good tribute to the 914, I think better than Porsche Germany

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 6 2019, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 22 2019, 09:56 AM) *

Damn George, I didn't know you had such disdain for modified 914s. sad.gif

I think it is great they showed a non-factory modified car.

Not all your customers have stock 914s.

whitetwinturbo
..........what a great experience. Thanks for the photos beer3.gif
Jacob
How much time did you spend in the museum?

What does it take to get a factory tour?
P313591
QUOTE(9146GUY @ Jun 21 2019, 02:53 PM) *

I just returned from a trip to Germany and was able to go to the Porsche Museum and look at both the 914 & 917 50th Anniversary displays. I was not impressed with the 914 display. One section of it was on the main floor and there were only a few cars displayed and they were hidden behind a half wall. The other section was in a service/restoration area between the souvenir shop and the open area snack shop. It had 6 or 7 cars on display, but you couldn’t access that area and the cars were very poorly displayed. Pictures had to be taken through the glass wall and the fluorescent lighting left a bit to be desired.

Anyway, I have the description of the cars in one photo and then the pictures of the referenced car follow. The link to my Google album follows:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7DmSqRBcKDZuJRxp6

Enjoy
Steve
If anyone is interested in the other display, the 917 display was awesome. The cars are obviously well lit and displayed where you can go right up to them and visit. I have the description of the cars in one photo and then the pictures of the referenced car follow. I have added a couple of additional pictures of non 917 cars at the end. The link to my Google 917 album follows:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F3iJspSqjK2q9sVT8

Home home is near to Porsche, spend the whole day there too.

9146GUY
We spent about 3 hours there but we have been there before. Plan at least a half day.

Take the headset tour. It's about 7 or 10 Euros and you just push the numbered button and it tells you everything about what you are looking at. It's cheap until you get to the goodie store at the end.

We had lunch at the museum and it was just a tad overpriced but quite good food. Dinner could be had (reservations) at Christopherous which is the museum's fancy eatery. Great steaks but $$$ required.

Enjoy your visit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.