Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noise level comparison between a FI and carb engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
So there is a very significant noise difference between my 1.7 FM my car and the 2 L that I just drove down from Oregon. I know the cars are not identical so it’s not a complete apples to apples but the car with the carbs is significantly louder under pretty much all conditions.

I would expect an increased level of noise because unlike the FI system and the carbs are more open to the environment via the two air filters and how they’re mounted, just curious if that’s consistent with other people’s experiences?

Thanks and happy Saturday all!
drem914
Yes it is. I have had an FI 1.8 and then swapped to a 2.2 dual carb and the volume inside is decidedly louder.
Rand
Of course there is. It's basic physics. Two air cleaners put right up there are not covering up the sound.
JeffBowlsby
I DRIVE A STOCK FI 2.0L AND ITS PLENTY LOUD. WHAT DID YOU SAY?
sixnotfour
what loud,,,,
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=338797&hl=
Rand
Thank you for the sweet sounds. Who was complaining???
michael7810
I have carbs and all I hear is the valves clacking and the sweet exhaust sound. Click to view attachment
thelogo
Its a carb noise ....
Thats the sound of simplicity and reliability and performance
(Ask any /6 owner)

So if your looking for road manners at the cost of
Stupid complexity ( in the analog age)
then f.i is the ticket
mepstein
My first car had carbs, Monza exhaust and Yokohama A008’s. All 3 made a lot of sound and I grew tired of it on drives over an hour. Some people don’t mind. I did. We all have our own tolerances.
porschetub
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 23 2019, 11:31 AM) *

Its a carb noise ....
(Ask any /6 owner)

then f.i is the ticket

HHHHmmm,ask a six owner...ask about what? the 911 motor has a great stock air cleaner that kills most carb noise,however being a cam chain motor there is more noise which under revs makes the most wonderful mechanical noise wub.gif .

I ran K&N's for a while and there was too much induction noise over and around most RPM driving range for me.
The Honda bike mod seems to work for many with 4 cyl or there is a $$$$ CSP setup which is a fine piece.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 22 2019, 01:41 PM) *

Be very careful with the Honda housings.... I've got them and they really cut the induction noise to a pleasant bass note. HOWEVER the passenger side one let enough rain water in to hydro lock the engine.... weak hi torque starter gear shattered before bending a rod. I've since fashioned a rain hat out of a five quart oil jug for insurance...tacky but effective so far. Be nice for someone to design something that looks better...
Rand
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 22 2019, 03:31 PM) *

Its a carb noise ....
(Ask any /6 owner)

then f.i is the ticket

Dude, i KNOW we are going to always fight about it. But carbs are not better.
Especially if you insist on manners. Sorry my man, but just not better.

EVEVNTUALLY you will wake up and admit.
thelogo
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 22 2019, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 22 2019, 03:31 PM) *

Its a carb noise ....
(Ask any /6 owner)

then f.i is the ticket

Dude, i KNOW we are going to always fight about it. But carbs are not better.
Especially if you insist on manners. Sorry my man, but just not better.

EVEVNTUALLY you will wake up and admit.

Just tell me in the movie mad max beyond thunderdome
After the apocalypse . were they running carbs or f.i

thelogo
Hmm
thelogo
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 22 2019, 06:47 PM) *

Be very careful with the Honda housings.... I've got them and they really cut the induction noise to a pleasant bass note. HOWEVER the passenger side one let enough rain water in to hydro lock the engine.... weak hi torque starter gear shattered before bending a rod

WTF.gif

. I've since fashioned a rain hat out of a five quart oil jug for insurance...tacky but effective so far. Be nice for someone to design something that looks better...

hissyfit.gif damn that sucks .

So glad my mechanic talked me outta the
Gold wing covers
Rand
I know bro, and it's ok if carbs still stuck and why they aren't on modern cars
tongue.gif
I'm liking it all, and know we will always banter in the best of terms. Too bad you are wrong. tongue.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 23 2019, 01:47 PM) *

Be very careful with the Honda housings.... I've got them and they really cut the induction noise to a pleasant bass note. HOWEVER the passenger side one let enough rain water in to hydro lock the engine.... weak hi torque starter gear shattered before bending a rod. I've since fashioned a rain hat out of a five quart oil jug for insurance...tacky but effective so far. Be nice for someone to design something that looks better...

wow didn't know that ,thought they were the s#it,is it water pooling @ the top cover?
IronHillRestorations
With FI there's a much longer path from the intake valve to the air inlet, with some significant twists and turns that muffle the sound.
thelogo
Sounds like alot of guys would want a
911 esque type airbox for their carbs

Got to give it to porsche .

From the fan the airbox the engine to the muffler
These cars were almost engineered to sound
Cool .

( funny because the 2007 focus i just bought
People describe or complain about the engine being buzzy or mechanical sounding ) av-943.gif
jdamiano
I run the cleaners that came with the Redline Weber kit and no sound complaints. I have driven a stock car with the same 2.0 and factory FI and mine sounds better. As for the FI vs carb debate I would point you to this forum. It’s been awhile since you wouldn’t find a frustrated FI owner on posting for help. Usually a couple on the top of the list of posts. It’s an old system getting older every day. My carbs are fairly new and I could order new ones tomorrow if I needed. Combined with a Pertronix pointless distributor and you have a level of reliability you will never find with antique FI. Everyone with a driver 914 should have their original FI just in a box on a shelf where it belongs.
JeffBowlsby
D-Jet/LJet are really not that difficult and there is no performance gain with carbs on a stock motor. If there truly is a problem with the FI, be patient and take the time to evaluate each FI component, find the issue and fix it.

Putting the FI in a box and then carbs on a stock engine 914 just indicates the failure of the owner or his mechanic to understand and maintain the original FI. A person just does not wake up one day and say "I feel like swapping the perfectly good FI on my 914 with carbs today - just because I can."
davehg
In my 3.2, the FI is pretty docile. Starts easily, great gas mileage. But I made the mistake of taking a ride in my pal’s PMO carbed six. It was much louder and quite amazing, I couldn’t get the sound out of my head. It felt like the real air cooled Porsche experience.

https://youtu.be/F47q1IAHCH4

That’s the main reason I ditched the FI for my 2.7 twin plug build. That, and the extra horses.

Carbs are feature to me, not a bug.
thelogo
Combined with a Pertronix pointless distributor and you have a level of reliability you will never find with antique FI. Everyone with a driver 914 should have their original FI just in a box on a shelf where it belongs.
[/quote]
av-943.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Your the man beer3.gif
jagalyn
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 23 2019, 07:12 AM) *

D-Jet/LJet are really not that difficult and there is no performance gain with carbs on a stock motor. If there truly is a problem with the FI, be patient and take the time to evaluate each FI component, find the issue and fix it.

Putting the FI in a box and then carbs on a stock engine 914 just indicates the failure of the owner or his mechanic to understand and maintain the original FI. A person just does not wake up one day and say "I feel like swapping the perfectly good FI on my 914 with carbs today - just because I can."

Agree agree.gif
jdamiano
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 23 2019, 09:12 AM) *

Have you want to be patient every time you need to fix 40 year old FI and want to spend time maintaining it more power to you. If you want a higher level of reliability put some nice carbs on your car.
Rand
Dumb answer. Sorry bro but every time you suggest carbs, it still says you don't understand mondern fuel tech!

I love carbs in their place. But you gotta get real.

JeffBowlsby
I have owned and driven daily several 2.0's over the last 20+ years, all with the FI intact. The FI has never been a 'reliability' issue as suggested, so that is no argument at all. Have spent very little time even maintaining the FI, much less having any issues with it, its very reliable.

A /6 with original carbs can be an iconic experience - so carbs in their rightful place are a cool 'feature'.

If carbs are one's preferred solution, then there is no issue. But they cannot be justified as 'being more reliable', their technology is far more antique than any FI on the planet.
914_teener
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jun 23 2019, 05:57 AM) *

I run the cleaners that came with the Redline Weber kit and no sound complaints. I have driven a stock car with the same 2.0 and factory FI and mine sounds better. As for the FI vs carb debate I would point you to this forum. It’s been awhile since you wouldn’t find a frustrated FI owner on posting for help. Usually a couple on the top of the list of posts. It’s an old system getting older every day. My carbs are fairly new and I could order new ones tomorrow if I needed. Combined with a Pertronix pointless distributor and you have a level of reliability you will never find with antique FI. Everyone with a driver 914 should have their original FI just in a box on a shelf where it belongs.

Not true with the exception of the distributor. With a new electronic dizzy no way are carbs more reliablle unless you do all the "fiddling" on carbs yourself.

If tje last WCR is a sampling.....the only cars that had problems were.........wait for it.........

Carbs.
Bleyseng

What! I got my car in 1995 with 40 dells and 2 years later installed The Djet stuff back on after suffering with the carbs. Djet failed me once in all these years when the cht failed in my driveway. That agreement is weak as plenty of guys fight with their carbs
jdamiano
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 23 2019, 02:36 PM) *

Dumb answer. Sorry bro but every time you suggest carbs, it still says you don't understand mondern fuel tech!

I love carbs in their place. But you gotta get real.

Modern FI is awesome but that’s not what is on a 40+ year old 914. You can put new FI on a 914 but it’s expensive.
jdamiano
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 23 2019, 02:59 PM) *

I have owned and driven daily several 2.0's over the last 20+ years, all with the FI intact. The FI has never been a 'reliability' issue as suggested, so that is no argument at all. Have spent very little time even maintaining the FI, much less having any issues with it, its very reliable.

A /6 with original carbs can be an iconic experience - so carbs in their rightful place are a cool 'feature'.

If carbs are one's preferred solution, then there is no issue. But they cannot be justified as 'being more reliable', their technology is far more antique than any FI on the planet.

My point isn’t that carb technology is better. It’s that anything as technical as 914 FI that is 40+ years old becomes unreliable. My carbs and distributor are only a couple years old. If I could travel back in time and buy a new 914 I would want it equipped with FI. Your the FI guru so your experience is not typical. For the usual wrench like me new carbs and a new distributor would be a great option and in my opinion the best option. LE or concourse cars excluded.
jdamiano
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 23 2019, 04:51 PM) *

What! I got my car in 1995 with 40 dells and 2 years later installed The Djet stuff back on after suffering with the carbs. Djet failed me once in all these years when the cht failed in my driveway. That agreement is weak as plenty of guys fight with their carbs

My point is if you have crappy carbs buy new ones. If I could buy new affordable FI that would be my choice. If someone wants to maintain their FI more power to them but there shouldn’t be any shame deciding to replace it with brand new components.
jagalyn
There’s nothing better than a fuel injected 914 that has been properly maintained. They are a dream to drive. They also have a higher value than a modified carb’d engine car. It’s worth it to maintain the fuel injection... if you do, you will seldom have an issue.
Tdskip
Good discussion on carbs vs FI, but I think the sound level question was answered on the first page. evilgrin.gif

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback confirming what I was hearing and thought the trade-off was.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.