Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Suspension recomendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcampbell2909
Hello all,

I have done some searching and have not come up with much for recent results to guide me in a direction to make a decision in improving my front suspension. This question is in regard to a '75. I need to replace my front struts as one is leaking oil and the other seems to have no resistance left at this point. I have been running with the front around 3" lower than stock height (adjusted using the small bolt on the torsion bars). I wanted to consider any upgrades/changes while I will be changing the struts.

Should I be looking at other options to lower the front? I was shopping for struts and noticed that there is a "sport" strut in the Bilstein line to be used with lowered springs-but I have not found the springs to match...

What are my best options at this point? Just replace the struts and continue to run with the adjusters where they are for ride height? Explore lowering springs? Other options? Is there anything else I should be doing while I am in there replacing struts?

Also, what is the current thought on the various struts that are available. I see a variety I see Bilsteins, Sachs, Boge, etc... This is a street car with a large stroker 4 cylinder, but will not see much if any track time.

Thank you for any assistance that can be offered.
Cairo94507
I like the 914 low for sure, but going 3" by just using the adjuster on the torsion bar is way to much. You need to reindex the torsion bar to lower the car correctly, get strut inserts that will work when lowered that much and be aware of the steering geometry and bump steer. One way to minimize the effect of lowering the car so much is to raise the spindles on the struts- but be mindful of what size wheels you are running so you do not have fitment issues. Talk with Elephant Racing or a host of other major suppliers and supporters of our cars. Do it right, do it once and then enjoy the lowered ride. Lots of people here with lowered 914's and I am sure they will chime in. beerchug.gif welcome.png
roblav1
3" lowered is Way too low! You probably bottomed the struts too many times and killed them.
jmitro
what is your goal? just a lowered stance while retaining a decent ride quality?

first of all the 914 in stock form doesn't use any front springs - just torsion bars. you can lower the front by reindexing the torsion bars as mentioned above. If you want to retain a decent ride quality stay with the stock torsion bars and get some good bilstein strut inserts.

Lowering the front end excessively will change the camber settings to positive under high cornering loads unless you raise the spindles, which is what I did on my car. Raising the spindles will also maintain the stock strut body length so the struts don't bottom out

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2570827
rcampbell2909
I must have spent too much time in the HAM shack yesterday for field day, when I wrote that post...I was thinking of the rear with the springs, as the previous owner installed KYB's and I have wondered if changing them would improve ride quality at all.

Anyway, back on topic. Yes, I am just looking for a lower stance with a decent ride quality. So if that is the case, am I understanding that I can achieve that with the Bilstein inserts for lowered suspension and reindexing the torsion bars?
rcampbell2909
I see there are a pair of Sway-A-Way 21mm torsion bars in the classifieds. What is the advantage to running a larger torsion bar in our cars? Would there be an advantage to this in my situation?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.