Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 1.8 L jet bucking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Coming home from a friends house last night the car started bucking. Luckily I just made it home. WTF.gif Where to start?
jim_hoyland
Try looking at: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=bucking

BTW-Found this thread by doing a search using +bucking, then selected titles only; a whole page of threads appear with "bucking" in the titles.
Good luck with this one, keep us posted;If I'm the next one to experience bucking, I'll rely on your analysis..... smile.gif
Geezer914
Thanks for all the reply's. I'll do the search on bucking.
Porschef
Dual relay, then vacuum leak
rfinegan
when my 1.8 was bucking it was the connector at the AFM. I had a pin or 2 push out of the connector and intermittent contact. ez fix and problem solved for me...
jim_hoyland
My 1.8 L-Jet never went through biking episodes; but if it did, the first thing I would check is the connector at the dual relay. The connector on the left side has 12v in, ground, starter, and fuel pump ( black/red). If that fuel pump connector is not making good contact, the fuel pump will go off/on.
I aventually connected those wires directly to the dual relay.
mepstein
My car bucked off and on for over 6 months. I did a bunch of things but I believe it was overhauling the distributor that fixed it.
ClayPerrine
Check the ground contacts at the rear center of the motor. Broken or loose grounds can cause bucking.

Dropping resistors can cause this also. They have a tendency to break wires in them.

With a 914, it's always the grounds. Except when it's not the grounds.

Geezer914
Tested the coil it read 9380 ohms from the negative post to the center. My spare coil read 8500 ohms. I think the coil over heated. I swapped out the coil and replaced the plugs, cap, and rotor. It has a Petronics ignition module. It ran great, but I need to take an drive for an hour or so to let things get hot and see if the same symptoms develop. poke.gif
Geezer914
Took a 45 minute drive and everything ran fine. Ordered a CHT from 914 Rubber to install for piece of mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.