Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel bearing or Cv?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sb914
So my car is making this droneing -grinding noise from the rear,started to click a little on take off which leads me to believe its a cv . But from what I’ve read,it could be the wheel bearing. I’ve read the cvs don’t make the grinding noise.When I looked I can see this grease-lube on the inside of my wheel even seeping from lug nuts.
I’ll pull the wheel and check it out but what do y’all gurus think? Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Clicking is usually a CV going bad.

Would be unusual for CV to get weeping out at the lug nuts. CV’s fling grease radially. Feel inside the trailing arm bore. If no grease is in there there it is likely a wheel bearing which will have a drone kind of noise.

Did you repack the wheel bearings? Too much lube in wheel bearing will weep like what I see on your wheel.

If you have both a click on take off and a drone at speed you may have multiple problems.

Another way to diagnose wheel bearing is whether the noise changes as you corner (1/4 G or less) which changes the wheel bearing load. Loading the bearing will usually make the drone louder but I’ve seen exceptions to that.
76-914
A bad wheel bearing is going to be warmer than a good one. An IR thermometer or touching it well tell you if it's hot after a drive. The pattern of that leak is confusing. I'd expect to see the ones caused by rotation but not the wide splotch that runs perpendicular with the others? WTF.gif You're welcome to drive it over here and put it on the lift Eddy. beerchug.gif
type2man
Rear wheel bearings on 914's are sealed, so the leak is obviously a cv going bad. Fix that first.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.