Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 steering columns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Johnjhort
Hi everyone

Are 914-4 steering columns interchangeable, can I swap in a later column and expect to 12 or 13 pin connections to work.
mepstein
not at all. Early are completely different.

welcome.png
Johnjhort
Ok thank you. My car is a 1970, what are my options
mepstein
What is the problem with your column?

I think the 70 & 71 have the same mounting piece but different # of pins. One is 12 pin, one is 14.But I'm not 100% positive.

@Chi-town might have a column from a parted car.
Johnjhort
The ignition key assembly, the key with tumbler is bad. On my later 914’s it’s easy to remove the lock assembly but I’ve noticed on this 1970 the whole key assemble with steering wheel lock is really in there. If I try to pull on it the wires will break from behind the lock assembly.
Chi-town
70-71 use different everything compared to 72+

The wires do not pull out the bottom!

If you want to swap to a later column you'll be doing some wiring as all the connectors are different.

@tweet can probably help you
Johnjhort
Ok thank you.
mepstein
QUOTE(Johnjhort @ Jun 23 2019, 10:27 PM) *

The ignition key assembly, the key with tumbler is bad. On my later 914’s it’s easy to remove the lock assembly but I’ve noticed on this 1970 the whole key assemble with steering wheel lock is really in there. If I try to pull on it the wires will break from behind the lock assembly.

That's a common problem with the early cars but that assembly is actually easy to remove. There's a procedure in a thread on this site. You remove the horn contact ring and a plastic spacer, press a little pin with an awl and pull out the lock assembly using the key as a puller. slips right out.
I sent my lock to "tweet" on this site and he repaired the assembly and made a better key that took less effort to turn.

@tweet
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jun 23 2019, 07:40 PM) *
If you want to swap to a later column you'll be doing some wiring as all the connectors are different.

If it only were that easy. I've done that swap and it involves a lot of cutting and grinding and swearing and then you still end up with completely incompatible electric connections.

The later columns not only have different mounting, they also have a different depth, meaning you will have to customize the steering shaft (more grinding) to get a geometry that doesn't bind. (And no, the later steering shafts won't work).

It's absolutely not worth it, would not do it again ...
dry.gif

914sgofast2
I have a 1970 as well. I discovered that the turn signal is the same as a 1970 VW Bug. The ignition lock and switch is probably the same as a bug as well, although the wire color coding may be different on the electrical part of the switch.
914Sixer
The only straight swap is the 72-74 into a 75-76. Late columns were sourced from the VW Rabbit. You reuse the lock assembly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.