Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice on SCAT engine selection 2.0L vs 2056
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rbzymek
So i need to replace the 1.8 and I would really like a 2056. I also want to keep the L-Jet for the great driveability. If I request SCAT to build a 2056 with a normal 2.0L cam will that work with L-Jet? As an alternate should I just buy a 2.0L with FI cam? Since I will be using a vane meter system I would expect that I can dial in the AFR with my wide band meter. Has anyone done that before?
Ray
Tdskip
Certainly get advice here but I’d not hesitate to pick up the phone and call them. I’m sure that other people have asked this seem quite reasonable/intelligent question and they have a point of view.

You could always have one of the well regarded engine builders here build you whatever you wanted, it’s another good option to keep in mind.
914Sixer
76 912E was a 2.0L with L-Jet. 2.0L VW Bus also used L-Jet. I would think there is information on the VW Bus side that would have answers for you. Look around the forums over on theSamba.com
Mark Henry
I've built a 2056 Ljet, but it had 2.0 914 heads and a WEB #73 cam.
Ran great smile.gif
Bleyseng
I am running a Raby 9550 (a Web 73 basically) and Len Hoffman heads with Ljet in my 77 Westy. Yeah, easy to adjust the AFR so yes its a no brainer.
rbzymek
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 24 2019, 01:57 PM) *

I am running a Raby 9550 (a Web 73 basically) and Len Hoffman heads with Ljet in my 77 Westy. Yeah, easy to adjust the AFR so yes its a no brainer.

Thanks for the feedback and advice on which cam to use which was my biggest concern. I am open to more comments if they are out there.
Ray
rbzymek
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Jun 24 2019, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 24 2019, 01:57 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback and advice on which cam to use which was my biggest concern. I am open to more comments if they are out there.
Ray

By the way, besides SCAT, where should I look for a 2056 long block and Web 73 cam? I prefer to have an expert do the engine internals. The engine pull and replace will be enough work for me.
thelogo
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Jun 24 2019, 11:21 AM) *

So i need to replace the 1.8 and I would really like a 2056. I also want to keep the L-Jet for the great driveability. If I request SCAT to build a 2056 with a normal 2.0L cam will that work with L-Jet? As an alternate should I just buy a 2.0L with FI cam? Since I will be using a vane meter system I would expect that I can dial in the AFR with my wide band meter. Has anyone done that before?
Ray

Can i ask why the scat longblock instead of
Rebuild your 1.8 ?

Including all the original Ljet stuff. And you have the perfect compatibility

Of course using bigger p's and c's and head work if you want . 1911? +
djway

Ray

The car I drive was all messed up and someone had been inside the AFM to compensate for other issues.
I made an attachment for the exhaust tip then ran up and down the freeway, pull off and adjust the tension, got back on until I got the mix right.
It works.
sixnotfour
By the way, besides SCAT, where should I look for a 2056 long block and Web 73 cam? I prefer to have an expert do the engine internals. The engine pull and replace will be enough work for me.

Original Customs..MI.. http://www.originalcustoms.com/index.php
Tangerine Racing.. CT. http://www.tangerineracing.com/contact_us.htm
saigon71
Another cam option for stock FI is the FAT 440MP. Slighltly more aggressive than stock.
rbzymek
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 24 2019, 09:01 PM) *

Ray

Rebuild your 1.8 ?

It went seriously overtemp last week before I noticed the temp gauge. I adjusted the AFR at cruise to 14 and it may have had a stuck vane/thermostat. I will do a compression check tonight but I think I lost one cylinder.The SCAT 2056 for around $3600 looks hard to beat unless you know a better way. I need more cc's and a higher compression ratio to improve the 76 HP with the 1.8. Perhaps I need to investigate the 1911 option and price it out. I am concerned that the heads are toast but maybe not. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Ray
rbzymek
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Jun 25 2019, 05:35 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 24 2019, 09:01 PM) *

Ray

Rebuild your 1.8 ?

It went seriously overtemp last week before I noticed the temp gauge. I adjusted the AFR at cruise to 14 and it may have had a stuck vane/thermostat. I will do a compression check tonight but I think I lost one cylinder.The SCAT 2056 for around $3600 looks hard to beat unless you know a better way. I need more cc's and a higher compression ratio to improve the 76 HP with the 1.8. Perhaps I need to investigate the 1911 option and price it out. I am concerned that the heads are toast but maybe not. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Ray

So I reached into the fan and pulled out a plastic grocery bag.....the reason it went overtemp in the first place. Compression is 88-95-95-105, not great. Next change the oil and spark plugs to see if it will run decently.
Ray
thelogo
Are you for real a plastic bag

? poke.gif
Tdskip
That is a bummer. It sounds like the engine is tired at this point. It’s certainly easy to have a fresh engine show up and just put the ancillaries on and off you go. You can always try selling your engine as a core to offset some of the cost.

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like you want to buy a rebuilt engine from them so why not just do it?
rbzymek
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 26 2019, 06:12 AM) *

That is a bummer. It sounds like the engine is tired at this point. It’s certainly easy to have a fresh engine show up and just put the ancillaries on and off you go. You can always try selling your engine as a core to offset some of the cost.

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like you want to buy a rebuilt engine from them so why not just do it?

That's probably what I will do. I do have some other things going on plus I would like to drive the car this summer a bit if that is possible. Thanks for the cpre suggestion. I forgot to account for that.
Ray
JOEPROPER
Buy the motor and put it in. should take a weekend. You can drive it to the BBQ on 4th of July.
rbzymek
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Jun 26 2019, 07:55 AM) *

Buy the motor and put it in. should take a weekend. You can drive it to the BBQ on 4th of July.

Well there is a five week lead time so I will be a little late for the Barby. I will need to get some 2.0L tin and new intake runners as well. I also want to change the master cylinder and put in SS fuel lines at the same time. Probably in August......Thanks.
914werke
Here is one that will get you going before the 4th happy11.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 26 2019, 08:32 AM) *

Here is one that will get you going before the 4th happy11.gif

If im reading it right and like to think i am

Your letting it go for 5k or 10k

And where are you located

Cause this is a steal (unless your located in syberia)
914werke
Its the Eng. pkg that Mark/Jake kicked off waaayyy back when. Its been sitting warm & dry, as new, in my shop waiting. But like so many projects, things change. $5k
thelogo
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 26 2019, 09:07 AM) *

Its the Eng. pkg that Mark/Jake kicked off waaayyy back when. Its been sitting warm & dry, as new, in my shop waiting. But like so many projects, things change. $5k

Where is your shop ? Or motor located

If you dont need a /6. This is the ticket imho

flag.gif

Tdskip
Was $10 now $5K?

Looks like, net-net, about $2,500 more than the SCAT rebuild but you get a lot.
rbzymek
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 26 2019, 11:20 AM) *

Was $10 now $5K?

PM sent.
rbzymek
[quote name='rbzymek' date='Jun 26 2019, 12:01 PM' post='2725679']
[quote name='Tdskip' post='2725670' date='Jun 26 2019, 11:20 AM']
Was $10 now $5K?

[/quote]

Yup, placed the order for the SCAT 2056 long block with new heads and WEB#73 cam. Already have the new intake runners but I need some new tin for the 2.0 heads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.