Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bushing install tool.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BiG bOgGs
I’m getting ready to put my front suspension back together, but I don’t have the tool to press the bushings on. Would anyone direct me to one of our vendors that sells the tool?

Jim
mepstein
914rubber has them

@Mikey914
BiG bOgGs
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 24 2019, 05:34 PM) *

914rubber has them

@Mikey914

They only sell the tool if you buy their bushings. I already have the bushings, and they won’t sell me just the tool. I’ve spoken with them. sad.gif
rhodyguy
Unfortunate...but I get why. As it's an install and the tool becomes retired someone must have one in a drawer or box.
76-914
It's not that difficult. I did mine before I knew of a tool. beerchug.gif
Geezer914
Get some all thread, nuts, washers, and pieces of pvc pipe and make your own.
Larmo63
Bruce Stone has the tool. Get in touch with him and see who has it or if he will/ship/loan it to you.

Once the bushings are on, the tool becomes inconsequential.
johnlush
If these are the same tools used for the Elephant Racing rubber bushings I have them and would be willing to loan them to you. You pay postage both ways and promise you'll return them when finished. -John
BiG bOgGs
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 24 2019, 06:47 PM) *

It's not that difficult. I did mine before I knew of a tool. beerchug.gif

Could you pass on your technique? idea.gif
johnlush
Just to clarify, here's what I have. Is this what you're looking for?

Click to view attachment
BiG bOgGs
QUOTE(johnlush @ Jun 24 2019, 09:32 PM) *

Just to clarify, here's what I have. Is this what you're looking for?

Click to view attachment

Exactly what I’m looking for.
johnlush
Sent you a PM... Let me know where to mail them. -John
914Toy
You will need a bar clamp that opens up to at least 3 feet to force the bushings in place with the aid of the tools and plenty of liquid soap. View the video on Elephant Racing web.
iankarr
I tried the bar clamp method without success. If your bushings are URO, maybe they'll be a bit softer and looser.

Full disclosure: I shot the bushing install video for 914 Rubber (in my link below) and, I'm clearly biased about their quality. That said, believe me when I say this isn't a job you want to do twice. Use the best bushings you can afford.

There's also a really good chance you'll trash a bushing or three till you get them installed correctily. 914Rubber will take back any uninstalled bushings with no restocking fee...so you can get a few spares and not hold up your project.

Of course, I understand not wanting to lay out more $$ for something you already have. As Kent mentioned, there are definitely ways to install without a special tool. Very cool that John will lend you the tools. This community is amazing. Whatever you decide, good luck and be safe!
Larmo63
I used Elephant Racing bushings, borrowed Bruce's install tools, and they went on first time without a hitch.

I used my iPhone compass/level settings to get the right angles as suggested by Elephant on their site.

We're not re-inventing the Space Shuttle here.
iankarr
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 24 2019, 11:13 PM) *

I used Elephant Racing bushings, borrowed Bruce's install tools, and they went on first time without a hitch.

I used my iPhone compass/level settings to get the right angles as suggested by Elephant on their site.

We're not re-inventing the Space Shuttle here.

Well, I always wanted to be an astronaut.
bdstone914
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jun 24 2019, 07:52 PM) *

I tried the bar clamp method without success. If your bushings are URO, maybe they'll be a bit softer and looser.

Full disclosure: I shot the bushing install video for 914 Rubber (in my link below) and, I'm clearly biased about their quality. That said, believe me when I say this isn't a job you want to do twice. Use the best bushings you can afford.

There's also a really good chance you'll trash a bushing or three till you get them installed correctily. 914Rubber will take back any uninstalled bushings with no restocking fee...so you can get a few spares and not hold up your project.

Of course, I understand not wanting to lay out more $$ for something you already have. As Kent mentioned, there are definitely ways to install without a special tool. Very cool that John will lend you the tools. This community is amazing. Whatever you decide, good luck and be safe!

#cuddy_k
@BiG bOgGs

agree.gif Uro bushing are inconsistant and too soft overall. Don't use them. Uro claims to have a sport grade bushing which might be an attempt to fix the softer than stock ones they started with. No specs as usual from them.
Use a piece of 5/8" or larger thread-all and pull them on one at a time. Look at Ian's video. I too ground the bar clamp a poor choice. It take heat and lube on the bushings to install them correctly. Even with the tools it is easy for them to pull crooked and catch and tear on the sharpe corners of the rear of the trailing arm. I have done it several times even with the 914 Rubber bushings.
iankarr
Thanks, Bruce. Nice to have some company on the space shuttle. smile.gif
rhodyguy
Glycerin. Copious amounts.
Mikey914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 25 2019, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jun 24 2019, 07:52 PM) *

#cuddy_k
@BiG bOgGs

agree.gif Uro bushing are inconsistant and too soft overall. Don't use them. Uro claims to have a sport grade bushing which might be an attempt to fix the softer than stock ones they started with. No specs as usual from them.
Use a piece of 5/8" or larger thread-all and pull them on one at a time. Look at Ian's video. I too ground the bar clamp a poor choice. It take heat and lube on the bushings to install them correctly. Even with the tools it is easy for them to pull crooked and catch and tear on the sharpe corners of the rear of the trailing arm. I have done it several times even with the 914 Rubber bushings.

Yes this is not an easy job, it is very easy to destroy a bushing. There is a learning curve. You need to be fast, but you also need to accurate in driving these on.
Mark
Larmo63
Now this thing steers straight and with with no squeaks!!!

Click to view attachment
jmitro
a true shop press helps a ton LOL

seriously.

I also have the tool for install
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.