Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2019 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
Time again for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix (PVGP) held in Pittsburgh's Schenley park. July 19,20,21

Registration for the parking at the ARPCA area on German hill is here

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2019-a...llegheny-144946

There is a ride planned on Friday and the event on Sat & Sun.

I spoke with the local president Bob Nadin and event organizer Jay Malobicky about having a dedicated parking area for 914's to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 914 and got a very positive response.

It also helps that a fellow teener owner works directing the parking.

The Porsche parking area will only accommodate about 250 cars and last year I was told twice before I even got to the gate that unless you were preregistered the Porsche parking was full. (I was) So to be assured a spot register early.

The fee includes parking on the lawn for 1 car, a catered meal for 2 and liquid refreshments (non-alcohol) bring your own chairs of course.

For more general PVGP information click > https://www.pvgp.org/general-event-information/

Looking forward to seeing many 914's parked here at this event.

Come on down....

red circle is Porsche parking area ARPCA. Enter at Gate E

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
I'm preregistered for the Porsche corral for my 930. See you there. The cars were amazing and it was fun watching the race practice.
preach
I'll be down from New Hampshire for the grand prix. Never thought of where to park the Cayman. Can you post links or send me the info on the parking if still available?
Olympic 914
QUOTE(preach @ Jun 29 2019, 09:14 PM) *

I'll be down from New Hampshire for the grand prix. Never thought of where to park the Cayman. Can you post links or send me the info on the parking if still available?

This link is for general parking. $20.

https://www.pvgp.org/public-parking-schenley-park/

Register at motorsportsreg link in first post, for $85 Sat, $75 Sun and get Porsche corral parking a meal for two and soft drinks

I prefer option two.

If I was bringing the Truck I would just park in in general parking. and take the shuttles

Spoke
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jun 30 2019, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(preach @ Jun 29 2019, 09:14 PM) *

This link is for general parking. $20.

https://www.pvgp.org/public-parking-schenley-park/

Register at motorsportsreg link in first post, for $85 Sat, $75 Sun and get Porsche corral parking a meal for two and soft drinks

I prefer option two.

If I was bringing the Truck I would just park in in general parking. and take the shuttles

agree.gif

Spend the money and get your Cayman in the Porsche Corral. If nothing else, you'll be parking your car in the middle of the car show and won't have to do the shuttles.
preach
I am now pre-registered for the corral both days and the run on Friday. We will be in a Cobalt Blue Cayman S with California plates.
Olympic 914
Bump...

Anyone else coming?
preach
Arrived in town yesterday evening. Staying in Upper Saint Clair at my parents house. Looking forward to the week's events.

Scheduled for the drive on Friday and both days next weekend.
gereed75
I will be in the parking corral on Sunday. If you are in town, don’t forget that there are some great car shows during the week. Just go to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix website for a schedule. Hope to see yinz there!
Rsjg911
What a wonderful event!

I grew up in Squirrel Hill and used to walk to the event and later drive my yellow 911 Cab to participate with the other Porsche members.

I left Pittsburgh in 2001 for Ft. Lauderdale but have all of the PVGP posters framed and hanging in my office. 1994 had Porsche as the Marque of the Year with a cool 550 as the poster car. If anyone has a PVGP poster #1 lying around I need it to complete my collection (yeah, right, NOT holding my breath!)

Anyway, this is a fantastic MUST SEE event, not to be missed. Schenley Park is beautiful and perfect for the longest vintage car race held in an American city; very undulating but with good straight-aways. In fact, I learned to drive there. I still remember Myron Cope riding around on a gold cart saying hello to everyone and signing autographs.

Now I can't complain that I will miss it this year...Parade is in Boca just 30 minutes away from me. I want to take my 914 but it just developed a leak in an injector which is putting some gas in the engine compartment. I posted about replacement earlier on the forum but no replies yet so hoping this might illicit a response.

Keep 'em on the Road!

Ron beerchug.gif

gereed75
Ron, I will be there Sunday. The current management has a whole table of vintage posters that they bring to try to get rid of. Not sure they have the first year, but I will check. What year is the first one and do you need any other years??
Rsjg911
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 15 2019, 01:22 PM) *

Ron, I will be there Sunday. The current management has a whole table of vintage posters that they bring to try to get rid of. Not sure they have the first year, but I will check. What year is the first one and do you need any other years??

Hi!

Thanks for the reply!

I believe the first year was 1982 or 1983. The first poster was just an 8.5X11 sheet of paper. I have all of the posters up until 2001 when we left Pittsburgh. I "need" anything after that but they might be expensive. If they are like $5 or so each I would be interested. Of course I will reimburse you for postage and a tube!

I appreciate your reaching out to me and know you will have fun. The Porsche Parade is here in Boca Raton in 10 days. Can't wait.

Ron
gereed75
They have an assortment of the old posters. In general they are just trying to get rid of them. I think last time I picked out 8 or ten and made a donation. I ran in the PVGP Historic races this past weekend and they had the old poster table set up in the driver area. Hopefully they will have it again this weekend at Schenley.

I know they have a lot post 2001. I’ll see what I can do.
Rsjg911
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 15 2019, 06:17 PM) *

They have an assortment of the old posters. In general they are just trying to get rid of them. I think last time I picked out 8 or ten and made a donation. I ran in the PVGP Historic races this past weekend and they had the old poster table set up in the driver area. Hopefully they will have it again this weekend at Schenley.

I know they have a lot post 2001. I’ll see what I can do.

I do remember they used to have a table set up with older posters. I don't know if Hank Kessler is still around, back in the day he was the president of the Allegheny County PCA and a GREAT GUY, but he had some #1s stashed away. Anything post-2001 would be gladly and appreciatively accepted!
Ron
Olympic 914
PVGP Saturday 7-20

Seven 914s showed up Saturday to the PVGP and we were arranged in a wonderful spot under the trees, a real bonus considering the 95+ heat that day.

(Or maybe this was just another slight by the TRUE Porsche owners to segregate the NARP contigent) happy11.gif bootyshake.gif av-943.gif

Anyways always a great time talking with other 914 and Porsche people in general. excellent meal by Mission BBQ was part of the package.

The Glacier Run on Friday was nice and Dan (aka Preach) showed up in his Cayman S. to enjoy the Pennsylvania scenery. An ambiguity in the directions caused the group to get a little fractured, but all found their way eventually, and ended up at the Double-Wide Grill for a dinner and impromptu car show after.

Glacier run

IPB Image

IPB Image

Which Way Do We GO?

IPB Image

PVGP

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

We got this wayward 914 moved down with the rest of the group later.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

If anyone else has pictures please add them.
jfort
I attended, but not in the 914. Great event. Enjoyed talking to some of the 914 owners. Well done by the local PCA club there.
Olympic 914
Because of the heat I didn't wander too far from the shade and water, but did see a little more than the Porsches on the lawn. (there were 220 of them) But wish I had walked around more.

This Formula Vee was 1300cc and other-worldly sounding, not like ANY VW I have heard before.

IPB Image

IPB Image

And this Angry looking Benz next to a later Gullwing were supposedly brought by the same guy.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Rsjg911
I attended the Porsche Parade in Boca Raton today (Day 1) and can honestly say there were more Porsches in PVGP than at Parade. Only 8 914s were there but three were 914-6 GTs, 3 914-6s and 2 914-4s.

I counted 7 356s and overall there were maybe 175-200 Porsches. Amelia Island was a much better attended event and apparently, so was the PVGP.
URY914
QUOTE(Rsjg911 @ Jul 22 2019, 03:26 PM) *

I attended the Porsche Parade in Boca Raton today (Day 1) and can honestly say there were more Porsches in PVGP than at Parade. Only 8 914s were there but three were 914-6 GTs, 3 914-6s and 2 914-4s.

I counted 7 356s and overall there were maybe 175-200 Porsches. Amelia Island was a much better attended event and apparently, so was the PVGP.

Sad to hear this.
preach
I just got back from this trip. Had a great time at the PVGP and it was great to meet Tom and Tony and all of the other 914 folk. The red 2.0 closest in the first group pic took 9th in People's Choice.
I look forward to next year.
brant
Wasn’t there a race? Why are there no track pictures ?
Spoke
Pictures of race practice on Saturday
brant
Nice
gereed75
Got down there on Sunday. Also parked in the special 914 spot but there were only 4 of us there that day. Sorry, no good pix

Ron - I was unable to access the drivers area where the old posters have been available since I was not driving at schenley. Sorry, If you have further interest I can give you a contact that can hook you up with whoever it is that displays the vintage posters. let me know.
Rsjg911
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 28 2019, 09:40 PM) *

Got down there on Sunday. Also parked in the special 914 spot but there were only 4 of us there that day. Sorry, no good pix

Ron - I was unable to access the drivers area where the old posters have been available since I was not driving at schenley. Sorry, If you have further interest I can give you a contact that can hook you up with whoever it is that displays the vintage posters. let me know.

Hi!
Sure. I would be interested in speaking with him/her to see if I can fill in some of my gaps.
Thanks much and it looks like you enjoyed another great PVGO.
Ron
Spoke
Here's the Porsche Corral with only 1 Porsche. Got there before the heat and volunteers were there. I must be in the front row.
preach
Click to view attachment

Friday before the run. Sadly my Cayman does not look that good all the time.
Cairo94507
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Some really nice looking cars. beerchug.gif
fslick
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 28 2019, 09:40 PM) *

Here are a few pics from Sunday. gereed75, I was admiring your car (and skis!).
(I'm the '73 Alaska Blue).

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
gereed75
Thanks Slick, Everyone had a pair of Olins back in the day. The greens Molnars are very rare - Bump ski from early 80’s.

Very clean 73. My first was a 73 Marathon blue. Fun day!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.