Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not a fan of PMB Performance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
brainf18
I'm having an extensive suspension restoration done to my 914. Ordered about $2K in parts from PMB. The shop I'm working with scheduled techs and shop time around the expected delivery date. Parts did not ship together but came in several different boxes at different times and one of the parts has still not even shipped.

When I queried PMB and asked for updates so I could tell my shop what to expect I was Extremely disappointed with the lack of customer service and malevolence PMB demonstrated.

Bottom line is the parts were not delivered on time, they provided limited and inaccurate shipping information and had an extremely dismissive attitude when asked to provide basic tracking details.

If PMB would perform basic business practices and communicate realistic expectations for parts availability and provide accurate shipping and tracking information then their customers would probably be alot happier. Their Google ratings reflect the fact that I'm not the only person who feels this way. I should have checked the reviews before ordering.
mepstein
If you understood how part sourcing worked, your post would be different. Nobody stocks all the parts they sell on their shelves. That would be impossible. So is counting on the big suppliers who supply the retailers to supply and ship on time. Our shop orders a couple to $10K in parts weekly. If half of them showed up on time or at all, we'd be happy. They aren't ford and chevy parts that are made by the millions and stocked by thousands.
And even when we are pissed off at our suppliers, I have personally learned to hold my tongue (I didn't always) because the long term relationships has proven to be 10X more valuable than not having the specific part for a customer or myself.
I'm thinking back to the time at Hershey where I mentioned to Eric that I was looking for a 911 turbo stub axle. He personally found a vendor who was selling it for a crazy cheap price, walked me over to the booth and confirmed it was exactly
what I needed. Priceless!
So, I'm sorry but I won't commiserate with your disappointment.
raynekat
I agree....it's just part of the Porsche game. Porsche parts are not as available as say domestic auto parts are.

I've ordered a number of things from PMB without issue.
For my project, I got most of my suspension parts from Elephant Racing.
They are numero uno to me for Porsche suspension parts.
And even they had trouble delivering parts on time as some of their suppliers were back ordered.

Sometimes you just have to be patient.
I know it's tough when you car is at the shop, but with these older P cars, you really need to get this stuff way ahead of time compared to when you need them.
I understand that's not ideal or convenient at best.

Sorry for your experience with PMB.
Many folks here obviously have not had the issues you are experiencing.
wes
I’ve never had a problem with them and agree with above.
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 28 2019, 10:06 PM) *

If you understood how part sourcing worked, your post would be different. Nobody stocks all the parts they sell on their shelves. That would be impossible. So is counting on the big suppliers who supply the retailers to supply and ship on time. Our shop orders a couple to $10K in parts weekly. If half of them showed up on time or at all, we'd be happy. They aren't ford and chevy parts that are made by the millions and stocked by thousands.
And even when we are pissed off at our suppliers, I have personally learned to hold my tongue (I didn't always) because the long term relationships has proven to be 10X more valuable than not having the specific part for a customer or myself.

So, I'm sorry but I won't commiserate with your disappointment.

100% spot on. I work for a Auto Parts Manufacturer who sells to Wholesalers, Retailers and the consumer. I think the problem lies in the society we live in. Everybody wants something NOW!

to the OP, my Golden Rule is you do not schedule shop time until you have the parts in hand. That is a disservice to the shop. Another note, without PMB, your mechanic would probably be trying rebuild your stuff.

a personal experience, I ordered some Rennline Brake Lines for my 944 from Pelican 7 weeks ago, I got them last week. I understand it and no worries, I will wait for quality.
IronHillRestorations
Is it possible you don't have realistic expectations on sourcing parts for a vintage Porsche? How long have you owned a vintage Porsche?

So your problems are that you didn't get the specific delivery dates, their ability to provide tracking information, and demeanor on the phone? Sorry sir, but these are somewhat superficial.

How are the parts you recieved?

I know we live in a era with an expectation of instant shipping/tracking/ordering, but since the parts business for vintage Porsches is vastly different than Amazon.com perhaps you should re-evaluate what's important, which is the quality of the product.
Toolboy32
Do you want it done fast, or do you want it done right?
PMB does it right.

Parts have to be carefully collected....BEFORE you take your car to the shop.

brainf18
I completely agree with all your comments. This isn't my first rodeo. I'm working on my 14th Porsche, but first 914. If PMB had said, this may take some time, no worries. They didn't. They said "everything has been shipped and and all your parts are on the way." This was factually incorrect and when I queried them about it they were rude and dismissive. If others have had good experiences with PMB, great! That's how a customer service business should work. I however did not. I'm not the only disappointed customer. Check their google reviews...
ConeDodger
I just checked out your plethora of negative reviews. It’s a shame that the thousands of very satisfied customers didn’t bother to leave a review because they’d drown out the noise from the very-very few.
Eric is a man of utmost integrity. I have dealt with him for over a dozen years. He has always given me great service. Only my Tundra pickup has never used parts sourced through PMB. 5 cars. How is it that he has failed you so miserably while doing so well for me?
Let me say something about rude and dismissive as well... what was the method of communication? One cannot attribute ‘tone’ to written communication so text and email can’t really be dismissive and rude unless it is overtly dismissive and rude. More commonly, a person doesn’t get the answer they want, so the attribute dismissive and rude to the message.
When someone in the parts business says ‘it’s on the way’ it isn’t a lie. If they have ordered your drop ship then it is in a manner of speaking, on its way.
As an admin here, it is within Eric’s power to make this thread go away. He could also ban you. He would never do that out of a sense of integrity.
Long before his business began, Eric was in commercial customer service. I think he can weather your petty complaint.
dabird
Just checking in to say I also had a negative experience with PMB while having my rear calipers rebuilt, so it does happen. I will say, I eventually received my calipers and Eric did contact me and asked what he needed to do to "make it right". In the end, I felt just letting him know my experience wasn't the best was enough for me. I would do business with PMB again because form the best I can tell my experience wasn't typical
mb911
One thing I remind my customers of is that each part I sell is special for that client.. I build allot of parts to order.. That maybe what others are talking a bit about here as Eric does need to order parts for drop ship and once ordered he is at the mercy of his vendor.

As to a side note I am sure Eric appreciates your input for improvement to the process.
brainf18
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 29 2019, 09:18 PM) *

I just checked out your plethora of negative reviews. It’s a shame that the thousands of very satisfied customers didn’t bother to leave a review because they’d drown out the noise from the very-very few.
Eric is a man of utmost integrity. I have dealt with him for over a dozen years. He has always given me great service. Only my Tundra pickup has never used parts sourced through PMB. 5 cars. How is it that he has failed you so miserably while doing so well for me?
Let me say something about rude and dismissive as well... what was the method of communication? One cannot attribute ‘tone’ to written communication so text and email can’t really be dismissive and rude unless it is overtly dismissive and rude. More commonly, a person doesn’t get the answer they want, so the attribute dismissive and rude to the message.
When someone in the parts business says ‘it’s on the way’ it isn’t a lie. If they have ordered your drop ship then it is in a manner of speaking, on its way.
As an admin here, it is within Eric’s power to make this thread go away. He could also ban you. He would never do that out of a sense of integrity.
Long before his business began, Eric was in commercial customer service. I think he can weather your petty complaint.

If you look at all my reviews they are significantly more positive than negative comments. I'm an umpire, I call'em like I see'em. Its unfortunate but many business just don't care about customer service and posting factual reviews about good and bad experiences helps others.

You many have had great interactions with PMB. That's great. And I agree nuanced messages can be misconstrued via email, so thats why I called and spoke with a person as much as feasible. However, it was next to impossible to get E. on the phone and they weren't even open during posted business hours last Friday.

Maybe PMB was having a bad day or week...I don't know. What I do know is that I did not have a good consumer experience and my concerns are factually based...All of this could have been avoided if he'd simply apologized and gotten me correct information wrt when I could expect my parts to arrive. He didn't. He acted as if my request for tracking information was and inconvenience and somehow completely out of the norm.

Since you asked - Here are the facts

1. He said ALL my parts had been shipped. The fact is they had not.
2. I'm planning shop and tech time based on the inaccurate information PMB provided. The fact is because PMB can't or won't provide accurate information, I wasted time and money coordinating with my builder, also inconveniencing them.
3. I asked for tracking information. The fact is he said to "check my invoice" which only said they'd been drop shipped with no tracking info.
4. I called again to ask for actual tracking numbers and they did not or could not provide.
5. I finally called a vendor they "represent" and he was very apologetic and said, no one from PMB had contacted him about my order and the parts hadn't event been built never mind shipped. I said "no worries" thanks for the info. I appreciated the update, just gett'em sent whenever.

So is it too much to expect shipping and tracking info when parts are ordered? I don't think so. This is standard business practice. Is it too much to ask the vendor to be accurate in their communications? Again, giving customers accurate information about their orders is also standard and expected.

If you're saying I should cut PMB some "slack" because E. is a good guy then fine. My point is rather than become adversarial with me, he should reflect on the situation and the other negative customer reviews he has, and strive to improve.

Lastly if E. wants to delete this post them I believe it only reinforces the fact that he did not provide professional / adequate levels to customer service and now wants to sweep it under the rug. I guess we'll see...
IronHillRestorations
Next time shop at Automobile Atlanta! They never have customer service issues, and I'm sure you won't have to endure anymore "malevolence"!

If this isn't your first rodeo, did you forget about having parts in hand before scheduling shop time? I mean you don't have the brick layers show up when there aren't pallets of bricks in the yard.
carr914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jun 30 2019, 09:31 AM) *

Next time shop at Automobile Atlanta! They never have customer service issues, and I'm sure you won't have to endure anymore "malevolence"!

av-943.gif
brainf18
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 30 2019, 08:42 AM) *

One thing I remind my customers of is that each part I sell is special for that client.. I build allot of parts to order.. That maybe what others are talking a bit about here as Eric does need to order parts for drop ship and once ordered he is at the mercy of his vendor.

As to a side note I am sure Eric appreciates your input for improvement to the process.

Thanks for being one of the responders to take an unemotional, level headed view of this. As for your second point, I would hope so.
brainf18

If this isn't your first rodeo, did you forget about having parts in hand before scheduling shop time? I mean you don't have the brick layers show up when there aren't pallets of bricks in the yard.

I have also ordered parts from AA and have been quite happy with them. Not sure why you'd feel its OK to take a cheap shot at AA by dragging them into the conversation but its NOT OK for me to voice concerns about PMB? I can only assume your friendly with PMB and feel the need to come to his defense.

To address your second point: Companies large and small use "Just-In-Time logistics" to maximize efficiencies and reduce inventory storage costs. JIT logistics

JIT logistics is also a standard business practice. Perhaps you're not familiar with the concept but its based on suppliers providing predictable and reliable service, with accurate information about delivery times, so those downstream can plan accordingly.

This goes to the heart of the problem. A miss-match with my expectations for service and the reality of dealing with a company that's not up to normal business practice standards.
mb911
Just trying to fill in the blanks here as to why most are defending Pmb. I for one am a huge fan of PMB and Eric as he believed in me when I started my new venture of 914-6 parts. He also bought many parts site unseen so that he could see the parts and rep them. He has made mistakes in the past as I have and many others. He makes good on things. To another point ironhills (Perry) is likely one of the nicest guys in the world, extremely knowledgeable, a huge 914 resource. To that the 914 world is a much more laid back then the 911 world and the timeline expectations are different. I understand that 1st hand with my former business(mkexhaust.com) vs my new business..

Again I appreciate your experience and I also understand Why so many defend PMB and it just boils down to an unfortunate experience.. I am sure if PMB gets a chance to make it right he will..

Now would you be willing to share some pictures and details of your car? I would love to see what your building as I am sure others as well.. Take care..
mepstein
Just in time for small Porsche businesses. That's when the shop pulls an all nighter to get a car out the door the next morning. av-943.gif

Anyway. Good luck with your build and

welcome.png

beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
You're right, I shouldn't have drug AA into this, and I am truly sorry you had a bad experience with PMB, however that is unique. 99% good service is only relative if you are the 1% that had problems.

I ran a small business for over 25 years, and know JIT all too well, however that business model is difficult to apply to restoration work on vintage cars and parts. Factor in the daily challenges of a smaller operation, and sooner or later a ball will drop.

I'll admit Eric is a friend (by phone and through business only), and always been straight up with me and everyone I know. This community is tight knit and when someone slams on a known "good guy" many will come to their defense, and in that regard I plead guilty, again my apologies. It's all to easy in this era of anonymity via social platforms for tempers to flare in a situation that we'd discuss more rationally face to face.

I feel certain that PMB will do their best to rectify the situation within reason, if that's possible. I'm also certain that you won't find a better place to get calipers done.

Best of luck with your project. There are lots of good guys in this group that will go out of their way to help you, should you need it.
ConeDodger
Eric is on vacation and it’s possible he gave the guys a long weekend while he was gone.

Again, Eric doesn’t have a warehouse. He doesn’t stock things, unless he makes them. So you order a widget, he calls the widget supplier and orders it to be drop shipped directly to you. In most employees minds, that is “on the way” even if the the widget supplier hasn’t actually shipped. The supplier just ships. Tracking is for retail not commercial customers. Not sure who you talked to at his supplier, but he has specific people he deals with so you might have gotten hold of someone who truly had no idea in spite of the fact that it had been handled by someone who did.

Eric’s shop is a restoration shop and his shop is out 3 years Last I heard.

Am I biased? Yes. I’ve stayed at his house. I’ve worn an “it’s salmon” colored shirt when he picked me up at Salt Lake Airport (inside joke but most here will get it.) I’m even Facebook friends with his kids and ex. But I’m also a customer, and he has never failed to make it right when I’ve dealt with him.

As for “emotional,” I’m not. I could give two shits if he makes you happy. People who leave bad reviews are a dime a dozen and clearly don’t represent the customer base for PMB. happy11.gif

My Dad was head of a division at AT&T. He had a saying about customers like you. He’d tell his guys “if he got the death penalty he’d bitch if you weren’t going to use a brand new rope.”

Good luck with your project...
carr914
QUOTE(brainf18 @ Jun 30 2019, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 30 2019, 08:42 AM) *

Thanks for being one of the responders to take an unemotional, level headed view of this. As for your second point, I would hope so.

99% of the responses have been level headed & unemotional. Perhaps like your problem with PMB is the same that you can't see the forest because of the trees. You mention Just in Time logistics that has been around for decades, but apparently you don't understand it when it come to small businesses which comprise most of the automotive market.

I would suggest you stay with Auto Atlanta!
brainf18

My point for mentioning JIT was to illustrate that having accurate shipping and tracking information shouldn't be "to much" to ask from ANY business Large or Small. And then acting as if it's too much of an inconvenience to provide was my issue with PMB.

If he'd said, "Sorry about the mix up. I'll check on the status and get back to you with shipping / tracking info", then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Point is he didn't, acted as if it was too much of a bother, and I made decisions based on inaccurate verbal communications that turned out to be wrong. That's it in a nut shell...

I'm sure PMB is well liked and the owner is a good guy...But my "individual" experience was less than stellar.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(brainf18 @ Jul 1 2019, 10:43 AM) *

My point for mentioning JIT was to illustrate that having accurate shipping and tracking information shouldn't be "to much" to ask from ANY business Large or Small. And then acting as if it's too much of an inconvenience to provide was my issue with PMB.

If he'd said, "Sorry about the mix up. I'll check on the status and get back to you with shipping / tracking info", then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Point is he didn't, acted as if it was too much of a bother, and I made decisions based on inaccurate verbal communications that turned out to be wrong. That's it in a nut shell...

I'm sure PMB is well liked and the owner is a good guy...But my "individual" experience was less than stellar.

At this point in time, you have 14 total posts and joined 914World a little more than a month ago? To me, this means you aren’t part of this community. Almost half of your posts are in this thread! Did you join just to piss in Eric’s Cheerios?

Looking at what you said just in the above post, I wonder if you just have a need to be right?

When I order something, I hope that it will be there in time for me to get it when I have time to work on it. But if it doesn’t show, I understand that there are many things out of the business owners control. I don’t go on Yelp so I can create a headache for the business owner. I’ve had a key piece of equipment go down and need repair, shutting my doors and leaving my customers out in the cold for as much as two weeks. Did I call the repair business and complain? You bet! I worked it out toe-to-toe with the equipment manufacturer. I didn’t however, start trashing their reputation in their business circle. That would be dickish...
mb911
At this point I think it's all water under the bridge. Now can we see the car /build your working on? Would love to see it..
colingreene
I really dont understand what it is you are hoping to gain or achieve by posting this thread.
Eric has always had a track record of trying to make sure his customers are always taken care of. Occasionally its possible that someone feels like he could have done better but to blast someone on a review and then post a thread about it seems a bit intense.

Like others have pointed out not always do things go according to plan in the automotive world let alone porsches let alone 914s.
Lets put it this way he supplies to people like Jay Leno and Magnus Walker and other people of note and I haven't seen any of them bash anyone ever.
Its best if you have a customer service complaint to take it up with the vendor rather than go to that vendors friends and try to get them to agree with you.
rhodyguy
Shit happens. Consider the matter a lesson and move along.
brainf18
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 1 2019, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(brainf18 @ Jul 1 2019, 10:43 AM) *

At this point in time, you have 14 total posts and joined 914World a little more than a month ago? To me, this means you aren’t part of this community. Almost half of your posts are in this thread! Did you join just to piss in Eric’s Cheerios?

Looking at what you said just in the above post, I wonder if you just have a need to be right?

When I order something, I hope that it will be there in time for me to get it when I have time to work on it. But if it doesn’t show, I understand that there are many things out of the business owners control. I don’t go on Yelp so I can create a headache for the business owner. I’ve had a key piece of equipment go down and need repair, shutting my doors and leaving my customers out in the cold for as much as two weeks. Did I call the repair business and complain? You bet! I worked it out toe-to-toe with the equipment manufacturer. I didn’t however, start trashing their reputation in their business circle. That would be dickish...

You can throw as much shade as you want, but you haven't said anything that disputes the facts as I've stated them. But then again, according to you, I'm not part of this community...
dwillouby
Hello,

Wanted to comment a bit.

First its none of my business if someone is not happy with a vendor.

Its up to you and the vendor to resolve.

I only go by my experience in dealing with such. I don't always trust reviews as they can be biased.

I have had no complaints with anyone here that I have done business with.(AA included) smile.gif

As far as you not being welcome here. This is a small community and all should be (feel) welcomed.

FYI I live in Mt. Washington and would be happy to meet you & check out your car.

David
914_teener
QUOTE(brainf18 @ Jun 30 2019, 08:57 AM) *

I have also ordered parts from AA and have been quite happy with them. Not sure why you'd feel its OK to take a cheap shot at AA by dragging them into the conversation but its NOT OK for me to voice concerns about PMB? I can only assume your friendly with PMB and feel the need to come to his defense.

To address your second point: Companies large and small use "Just-In-Time logistics" to maximize efficiencies and reduce inventory storage costs. JIT logistics

JIT logistics is also a standard business practice. Perhaps you're not familiar with the concept but its based on suppliers providing predictable and reliable service, with accurate information about delivery times, so those downstream can plan accordingly.

This goes to the heart of the problem. A miss-match with my expectations for service and the reality of dealing with a company that's not up to normal business practice standards.

I have a minor in Industrial Engineering. This is a theory. It also assumes steady state of production and a kanban or reservoir of inventory that SOMEONE must hold the bag. He is a small company with a narrow client base, so your expectations to apply JIT is perhaps a unrealistic expectation. With JIT, you would still take into account lead time if the kanban was zero. So the theory wouldn't apply.

Not from the internet but from experience. I am sure that PMB does not hold inventory and does depend on vendors to drop ship to hold inventory. He probably take advantage of discounts that you can't and passes that along to you and maybe make a couple of bucks for the trouble.

Good luck on your 914.

Mikey914
Eric is a good guy,
That's what this boils down to. I would and do do business with him regularly. He has had some shop labor issues and honestly running a small business takes a lot of juggling, just when you have everything going smoothly, something upsets the balance, and it's back to stacking it all back up in working order.

Eric is not Amazon, but he provides a service. If things go sideways, he will do the right thing. That's why he is my #1 for our brake rebuilds we stock. We can get cheaper, but we have no issues with the quality of his work, and that is worth a lot.

I can assure you he is doing his best to try to get your situation worked out.

Mueller
Do people even read?

His gripe was about shipping and lack of tracking or updates.

I had the same issue, I ordered a bunch of parts and was hoping to get them before my build party (which was cancelled due to a trip to the ER)

Emails and calls asking about tracking, nothing.

If he has vendors drop ship I never saw that on his site, I found out once I received the parts. It wasn't a big deal, just something that would be nice to see in print.

Not everybody knows just a small operation with just a few people.

Give brainf18 some slack, I see a mob rules mentality with many of this responses.
colingreene
As a small business why would I want to declare that i have a vendor drop ship some of my products.
If anything I would think saying I dont have this in my hands but someone else does would put people off.
914_teener
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 18 2019, 08:49 AM) *

Do people even read?

His gripe was about shipping and lack of tracking or updates.

I had the same issue, I ordered a bunch of parts and was hoping to get them before my build party (which was cancelled due to a trip to the ER)

Emails and calls asking about tracking, nothing.

If he has vendors drop ship I never saw that on his site, I found out once I received the parts. It wasn't a big deal, just something that would be nice to see in print.

Not everybody knows just a small operation with just a few people.

Give brainf18 some slack, I see a mob rules mentality with many of this responses.

Yes I read it from the first post and here is what I took away when I read it:

Guy takes his car to a competitor of PMB. Then after taking his car there orders a bunch of parts from PMB. Since Eric drops ships and no tracking numbers were given or provided, the parts don.t show up when they are ready to be installed.

Guys calls up PMB and complains because there is a lack of concern from PMB about PMB's competitor and the few bucks that PMB is making on the deal and the phone rant is not worth the 2 bucks that PMB is making.

Guy then gets on an internet soapbox and in an attempt to make that box bigger and the megaphone of discontent louder quotes a logistic and manufacturering technique that has no bearing nor applicabilty to a custom car restoring business.

Yea I read it.
76-914
IMHO, this is just the beginning. As the 914 beomes more coveted the prices rise. As the prices rise the community's face and flavor changes. As we've all seen, these types of complaints are increasing with the influx of newbies shades.gif I remember when 914rubber just began. Anyone here remember buying old rubber pieces because there were no others to be found? Some of these guys posting on this thread remember writing letters in the 90's to find parts for the 914. Things have changed and are getting better everyday for those wanting to restore a 914. There isn't a vendor here that hasn't pissed off someone at one time or another. That's life! We make mistakes as humans. And the complainers will always make more noise than the satisfied customers. I'd bet a nickel to a donut that PMB has ~95% approval factor.
orthobiz
I love PMB

Paul
drem914
I have had 3 separate transactions with PMB.
Each one handled as they said they would and for what I paid for.
They have been helpful on the phone to select the correct product and if I needed any service they could be helpful with I would do it all over again.
PeeGreen 914
Never had any issue with PMB and ordered a lot from them. Sorry to hear your frustration.

Being someone who runs a repair facility, I would have expected the delay as getting parts for older vehicles generally takes forever.

Bitching about it doesn't do much good thought. As an umpire I would think you would know better. Eric is a small operation restoring and making parts and are virtually unavailable elsewhere. Most of his customers are happy with the service but shit happens, people are human, and mistakes are made.
Eric_Shea
brianf18 is customer George Perry. George asked for a "Military Discount" I gave him the steepest discounts I possibly could. I'll guarantee you couldn't find any of these items for less... anywhere. I have a great respect for "MOST" of those who served our country and try to help them when I can. I also spent 45 minutes on the phone with George discussing suspension setups and advising on which direction to take while that car was in it's present state at MetalKraft Coachwerks.

With the exception of the Sway-a-Way 17mm torsion bar set (which I was told was in stock when I ordered it) EVERY SINGLE ITEM shipped that same day we received George's payment. Not when George's payment cleared; when we received it.

We do drop ship to save on freight, reduce our carbon footprint and most of all, save our customers time. Every single parts retailer does the exact same thing. Some items shipped from Atlanta, some from Canoga Park and some from Elephant Racing in San Jose. These items were "all" detailed on Georges invoice but he didn't review it.

First call (not asking for tracking numbers BTW) was about the ball joints missing from his order and lamenting to Marquis on how we screwed that up. George was informed of the fact that the closest units were in Canoga Park and they would arrive the following day. These notes were detailed on his invoice.

Second call... we screwed up, they haven't been delivered. Marquis (who is one of the nicest persons on the planet) again informed George that they were out for delivery (yes, we're running tracking numbers for George and checking on this for him).

Third call... George now livid because the Sway-a-Way torsion bars hadn't arrived. I had no backorder notice and no out of stock notice from Brian at Sway-a-Way "at all". Sway-a-Way is one of the best drop ship vendors we deal with, that said, apparently, there wasn't a huge calling for 17mm stock 914 torsion bars. Regardless, I'm e-mailing back and forth from the tarmac at SLC as I head off for my daughters senior trip. While sitting at dinner on that same trip, I received yet another scathing e-mail from George telling me how I should apologize to him and, and, and... I decided to fire him as a customer.

So... steep, off the books, military discounts - free consultation - same day shipping on 99% of the customers order - flawless execution of said order WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ONE SINGLE LINE ITEM, the Sway-a-Way torsion bars which I found out, while on an airplane, were on backorder and; this is what we get. George immediately went to Google and left a bad review there as well. Over $150.00 in discounts, same day shipping. ONE item on backorder and, again, this is what we get.

So you see George, the world is a merciless mirror reflecting your attitude back at you. This is evident by the many responses herein. I know most of these guys (like I now know you) and... they, in turn, are very nice people. My @sshole threshold is pretty low and frankly, it didn't take long for you to cross it.

I do not like people like you so I end up treating you like you treat me and my staff. Pretty simple really.
jim912928
I dealt with Eric some time ago when doing my six conversion. Always time to give advice and the stuff I ordered was great. Having three older Porsche’s of different models (914, 911, 928) you plan around those few that play in the vintage car parts space....it’s not like going down to autozone or the local dealer on new models. Even getting parts directly from porsche is a wait as they try to locate parts for you.
Garland
“I decided to fire him as a customer.“

Stay from going insane.

My last 2 projects (never finished, always improving) I sourced the parts 5 to 10 years before starting!
Collecting project parts takes time.

If you were doing this 20 to 30 years ago, as many of us were you would have NO suppliers like you have today. Very little in aftermarket parts, other then spoilers, stripes, and parts they said would fit. And you would be doing the work yourself, due to shops pricing you out at the 911 going rate.

welcome.png
rhodyguy
Vet discount or only AD? Vet? Count me in.
BENBRO02
I talked to both Eric and Marquis on the phone and found the service to be wonderful. I found out my 75 had a mismatched early front suspension and I needed late strut housings. Eric searched his shelves, found a pair, and sent them to me for the cost of packaging and shipping. I'll definitely use them again. PMB rocks!
Mike Bellis
I bet he was born between 1981-1996...
Jacob
One more satisfied customer here! smile.gif

Sent front calipers from an 85 Vanagon to be rebuilt. Calipers were found to be NOT fit to rebuild. Eric was able to source new cores and send out nicely refurbished calipers.

I feel the turn around time was acceptable and the price was fair. I will use them again.

Thank you for providing good service Eric!
Cairo94507
Our cars are 50 years old....parts can be hard to source. People are busy and doing the best they can. People manufacturing, selling and installing parts are "car people" the kind of people I like. This is a hobby for most 914 owners and a business for the others. Eric at PMB is one of the good guys and for the almost 10 years I have known him, has never changed. In every line of work we all experience issues from time to time. It's just the way it is. You can choose to get all excited or take a deep breath and try to remain calm. The older one gets the more likely you have experienced this and approach things with a sense of calm to try to resolve problems.

I wish the OP had taken a breath and realized had he waited to actually receive his parts before scheduling his shop time, this would all have been avoided. Why put so much stress and pressure on the system for no reason? Finally, I see the OP had very few posts so I am just choosing to believe he is new to 914's and will figure this out. I bare no ill will to the OP, I hope everything gets resolved and his car gets back on the road soon. However, I stand with PMB. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.