Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Bond...alive and well in WA on HY 3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
While driving on highway 3 in Bremerton Wa, I look back in my mirror and I see white smoke coming from behind my car....my son goes wow dad, where's that smoke button,....this is cool.

I rush home and park my car and start looking in the engine bay and hear a dripping sound almost like water running......

a few minutes later, I have huge puddles of oil underneath my car...

any takers??? and is this expensive unsure.gif
joeav8tor
sounds expensive. idea.gif
Dr. Roger
White smoke is from water.

Bluish smelly smoke is oil.

Where is the oil coming from? Best you can tell?
Did the engine continue to run regularly inspite of the smoke?

My opinions are worth $.02.

Your repair will cost much more. =-)
neo914-6
QUOTE (fatlando @ Jun 26 2005, 02:31 PM)
While driving on highway 3 in Bremerton Wa, I look back in my mirror and I see white smoke coming from behind my car....my son goes wow dad, where's that smoke button,....this is cool.

I rush home and park my car and start looking in the engine bay and hear a dripping sound almost like water running......

a few minutes later, I have huge puddles of oil underneath my car...

any takers??? and is this expensive unsure.gif

what car, obviously not a teener?....

Did you notice the water temp?

Can you feel moisture out the tail pipe when the engine is running?

Sounds like a blown head gasket if white moist smoke came out of the tail pipe.

A shop should be able to do a diagnosis of the fluids to see if water and oil or fuel are mixing. A pressure test of the cooling system should be done.

If a blown head gasket, you need to decide if the car is worth repairing. If repair then you need to determine if your bottom end is worth just head repair or needs a full rebuild. In either case, expect to pay ~$1000 to 3000.

If a japanese car, there are low mileage replacement engines you can buy for under a $1k but expect to pay another $1k to remove and replace. Even a dismantler may charge ~$1k for a used engine.
fatlando
1. the tailpipe was watery.

2. dino from Bremerton said my seal on my oil cap was gone. There was some yellowish goo...he said it was condensation.

3. the car still drove fine..after the james bond...

4. It's a 75 2.0 ....why else would i be on these boards....sheesh!

thanx for the inputs
neo914-6
Haven't you noticed 914's are not the only car discussed on this forum? wink.gif You can still have the oil analyzed. Is the oil dripping on the exhaust?

When you mention water in an aircooled car it can only mean condensation in your exhaust. Bremerton is near the coast so hopefully it is only that.

SirAndy
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 26 2005, 04:17 PM)
When you mention water in an aircooled car it can only mean condensation in your exhaust.

actually, a few things.

1) white/yellowish sludge on the oil filler cap means there's moisture inside the engine. do you take the car for a lot of short runs where it doesn't get a chance to fully warm up to operating temps?
if so, that's a problem.

2) did you pressure wash the engine lately? it's not unheard of to have water getting inside.

when was the last time you did a oil-change?
idea.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
Hmmm, so it kinda sounds like a leaky oil filler cap.
Oil on the exhaust manifold will definately do a quick James Bond smoke screen. I had that going on a '65 Chevelle. Not pretty.

Also: Andy's comments about water in the engine are absolutely true. I've had the exact thing happen to a friends V dub. He did nothing but short trips in it. An oil change later and all was good. Then he would do a longer journey every once in a while to get it up to a fully heated operating temperature.

FYI: worn rings can exaggerate a worn filler cap gasket leak as cylinder pressure bypasses into the crankcase.

Can you tell i'm bored?? laugh.gif
fatlando
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 26 2005, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 26 2005, 04:17 PM)
When you mention water in an aircooled car it can only mean condensation in your exhaust.

actually, a few things.

1) white/yellowish sludge on the oil filler cap means there's moisture inside the engine. do you take the car for a lot of short runs where it doesn't get a chance to fully warm up to operating temps?
if so, that's a problem.

2) did you pressure wash the engine lately? it's not unheard of to have water getting inside.

when was the last time you did a oil-change?
idea.gif Andy

Hmmm, so it kinda sounds like a leaky oil filler cap.
Oil on the exhaust manifold will definately do a quick James Bond smoke screen. I had that going on a '65 Chevelle. Not pretty.

Also: Andy's comments about water in the engine are absolutely true. I've had the exact thing happen to a friends V dub. He did nothing but short trips in it. An oil change later and all was good. Then he would do a longer journey every once in a while to get it up to a fully heated operating temperature.

FYI: worn rings can exaggerate a worn filler cap gasket leak as cylinder pressure bypasses into the crankcase.

Andy and Roger.

You guys are truly the meistro's on the board...

I drive my car 3 miles in the morning 6 miles for lunch and back and 3 miles home daily a total of 12 miles a day.

Yes there is the white sludge goo in the oil cap.

The water in my pipe (not bong) was water no oil on it at all.

there was tons of oil on the manifolds...where does it come from?

If i do an oil change, will everything be good to go???

thanx

fat lando
SirAndy
QUOTE (fatlando @ Jun 26 2005, 05:09 PM)
there was tons of oil on the manifolds...where does it come from?

that part is not good ...

you'll have to find out where the leak is coming from before you drive the car again.
driving with a major oil-leak will kill your engine.

can you take pictures of the area that is oiled up?
idea.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.