Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Siding and windows
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
I know how diverse we are here so I figure I could get a good answer through the club.
I am about have siding and windows done on my 1970's house. We have had about 10 estimates done. They range from 15k to 20k. Some guys that came out were just salesmen with a tape measure other guys were workers that move up in the ranks to owners etc..
One guy says this product is better then that one and another says just the opposite. One guy says use the insulated siding another says just put thicker insulating foam board for a higher r-value. I really dont know what to decide and who has the best interest in mind. One guy had an estime over 20k we told him he was the highest and then all the sudden he could bring the price down to compare with the others.

Anybody have any help on the situation.

We are going with a vinyl siding with slide by windows. But we just dont know which person and product to use. There are alot of them.

Here's a website that basically shows all the siding and window options we have. And yes he is one of the contractors we are considering.

http://www.keystonebuildersinc.com/siding/

Thanks for any help
Brian
firstknight13
i'm a contractor!! go to your local home depot/lowes and have them do the job. they have installers and will DO IT TO YOUR SATISFACTION. the contractor your showing is all high tech and may do a great job but they (HD/L) will do you right. if not look at his other jobs; talk to his other customers and then make an edcuated choice!! wink.gif
Tom Perso
Do it yourself... It's easy!!!

We went from this...

user posted image

To this...

user posted image

And finally, this weekend...

user posted image

user posted image

And no, I'm not a contractor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night... laugh.gif

Tom
736conver
I am doing the garage myself but not the house dont have the time for that.
Mueller
QUOTE (firstknight13 @ Jun 26 2005, 03:59 PM)
i'm a contractor!! go to your local home depot/lowes and have them do the job.

you are kidding right????

sure if you have money and time to blow, I've found the Home Depot contractors to be way overpriced and unreliable...both here in CA and in LA
Bleyseng
Yeah, I would go to HOmedepot/LoWes to get a price also.

Seems like alot to me but I haven't seen the house nor the square footage.

Contractor for 20+ years here and I still dislike vinyl siding.
736conver
Quotes are high because of the work that needs to be done. Chimney being removed, exposed concrete block on three sides getting covered, windows being added where there weren't windows, the list goes on.

I dont think I will contact those hardware stores for quotes. Just for giggles we let Sears do an estimate last year as they sent a flyer out. They were 10K more then what we are getting now for quotes .

I will stick with the local contractors. Just want to know the differences in siding by brands.

So many choices. Someone must have some inside scoop on siding and windows.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.