Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 chassis dolly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Does anyone have a drawing for a dolly in can use for the tub only, while I transport it to a body shop?
mepstein
I have Rory’s dolly. I can take measurements for you in a day or two.

Base is 44” front to back & 46” wide, center to center.
Height is 18” center to top, without wheels.
Mounting holes to hold pins at donuts are 50” - both front to back and side to side, measured center to center.
@r_towle
r_towle
Please do, no rush.
What are the pins?
A couple of close ups there please, if you have time.

Much appreciated
mepstein
The pins make the height adjustable. They fit in the donuts so the chassis won’t slip off the dolly.
JC 914-73
How do you load the car on to the dolly?

-john
mlindner
Sorry, not the best shots. This is made with a center rail going into sleeves on each end.
Very strong but also can be broken down to store/ship. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
mlindner
PS, my front supports go in the factory donuts....rear went to the engine support loops because I needed to deal with rear donut rust. Again with the center rail, the length can be adjust as needed, 911 etc.
mepstein
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 30 2019, 07:14 AM) *

PS, my front supports go in the factory donuts....rear went to the engine support loops because I needed to deal with rear donut rust. Again with the center rail, the length can be adjust as needed, 911 etc.

My rack was built for a six so it mounts on the rear donuts. I believe Rory did most of the metalwork on a rotisserie and then moved the chassis to a dolly.

The bare chassis weighs 500-600 lbs so getting it on a dolly can be done by 4 adults or carefully jacking up each end and rolling the dolly underneath.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(JC 914-73 @ Jun 30 2019, 02:29 AM) *

How do you load the car on to the dolly?

-john

I used a cherry picker in the front and a motorcycle jack on the rear.
Two cherry pickers are probably a better choice. They are so available now.
I attached to the car using the rotisserie fixture on the front with chain to triangulate to the picker arm.
The same can easily be done in the rear.
As I remember my lift was 24" min. maybe more.
Having the chassis hang is less precarious than supporting it on ever higher
stands or cobbled platforms.
Thank you Mark for posting the pictures.
Rory
Superhawk996
See Jeff hails thread - page 9 for dimensions

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6791&st=160

I’ve built it and it works well for me
JC 914-73
Thx for the info Roly

smile.gif
John
rgalla9146
QUOTE(JC 914-73 @ Jul 1 2019, 02:31 PM) *

Thx for the info Roly

smile.gif
John

Hey John
As you know Mark has my dolly.
I don't have dimensions to send but Mark would likely be willing to help.
I can tell you that the vertical tubes are height adjustable and fit into the donuts at
the corners of the pan.
The rear top member is forward so that repairs can be made to the bulkhead and
fuel pump area. Also the engine can be installed or removed while the tub
is on the dolly.
Best
Rory
jmitro
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 1 2019, 04:36 PM) *

I can tell you that the vertical tubes are height adjustable and fit into the donuts at
the corners of the pan.
is on the dolly.

nice design but with such tight tolerances (tube fitting precisely into the donut holes) I would think you'd need to have some allowability for differences from one chassis to another.

Mine was built in two hours with 4x4 blocks of wood and four Harbor Freight castors. Simple, cheap, easily disposed of.
Literati914
QUOTE(jmitro @ Jul 1 2019, 10:47 PM) *

Mine was built in two hours with 4x4 blocks of wood and four Harbor Freight castors. Simple, cheap, easily disposed of.

I like this approach... Got details and pics?

Olympic 914
Did this one, pretty cheap and sturdy.

Cut groves in a 2x4 on the table saw and set the seam into it. made a couple passes so it didn't have to be so precise.

Don't have the measurement right now. but you get the idea.

Think I held the grooved 2x4s under the car with floor jacks and connected the cross pieces and then built the frame.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jmitro @ Jul 1 2019, 11:47 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 1 2019, 04:36 PM) *

the corners of the pan.
is on the dolly.

nice design but with such tight tolerances (tube fitting precisely into the donut holes) I would think you'd need to have some allowability for differences from one chassis to another.

There are any ways to skin a cat.
jmitro
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 1 2019, 11:08 PM) *

I like this approach... Got details and pics?

I would do it like Olympic 914 shows above. Mine was not quite that nice
JC 914-73
Thx for the follow up post Rory.

I'm still trying to figure what will work best in my case. My car is currently with everything attached sans engine, exhaust and transaxle. Things to do are front suspension bushings, struts and rear hubs replacement, and clutch. It's very nice to have the car on a dolly while working on all of the above. The other option I'm considering is to get the QuickJack, probably more money (~$1400 Cad) but with the convenience of raising or lowering the car at ease.

John

mlindner
Best of both worlds, dolly on the lift.Click to view attachment
beech4rd
This works.

Click to view attachment
Literati914
Thanks for posting that beech4rd, looks simple and sufficient.
roblav1
I whipped up this dolly over the past couple days out of an old industrial stainless steel sink. The leg adjusters are upside down and insert in the chassis donuts. Casters are heavy duty at 750 lbs each. Not height adjustable, but set to allow engine installation.

GT build sits now in black epoxy primer.
mepstein
Great repurpose.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jul 9 2019, 09:11 PM) *

I whipped up this dolly over the past couple days out of an old industrial stainless steel sink. The leg adjusters are upside down and insert in the chassis donuts. Casters are heavy duty at 750 lbs each. Not height adjustable, but set to allow engine installation.

GT build sits now in black epoxy primer.

Beautiful dolly.
Beautiful car......more pics please
roblav1
Pics of car immediately after removing paper and tape after color. The dolly is working great. Color is 1970 Porsche 911 Bahia Red. According to the PPG paint records I found, it's slightly different than the VW Bahia Red.
Olympic 914
aktion035.gif

Looks Good.
brettrarnold
Any Denver owners want a chassis dolly? 50"long x 73"wide x 22" tall with a shelf on the back to lift the rear of the car up and down.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.