Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another oil cooling discussion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
RolinkHaus
Just curious if this system is sufficient for cooling. Planning to mount this system to the front with hard aluminum lines to the rear. Will this do the job? I have a 76 fuel injected 2.0.

Click to view attachment
RolinkHaus
This cooler is 15" long
IronHillRestorations
Why do you need an oil cooler, and why do you think you need to plumb it to the front of the car?
ChrisFoley
I'm not too excited by that product, but whatever you choose, there's no reason for going to the trouble of front mounting your oil cooler. Even hanging it in the corner of the engine compartment will lower the engine oil temps noticeably. If front mounted on a relatively low power street car engine, your oil will never reach optimal temperatures.
RolinkHaus
Got it, that's what I was wondering. Temp gauge running a little hot after driving for 30 minutes.
campbellcj
I agree; I would pursue an under-trunk / fenderwell cooler in the back before cutting-up the car to run a front cooler. Although first definitely make sure your stock cooling system is up to snuff; everything clean and working OK, including the temp gauge. Years ago I was able to run a stock 2.0 D-jet car here on our desert racetracks with a sandwich-plate type rear-trunk cooler, 'tuna can' and of course high quality oil changed frequently. It still got hot for sure, but was fine there and also was my L.A. daily-driver for a while...
RolinkHaus
What is optimal temp? Thinking of a gauge pod ( oil temp / oil pressure / cylinder head temp)
ChrisFoley
210-215 is perfect.
Up to 220 is no problem.
Less than 210 and the crankcase may retain moisture.
DRPHIL914
my 75 2.0 d-jet was running too hot 230+ when pushing hard up the mountain passes a few years ago at Okteenerfest, so when I had the car up to Chris at Tangerine Racing he installed a square shaped aux oil cooler back up under the rear trunk and it does a super job. Last year up in Helen Georgia I didn't go over 220 with that set up. I do have a fan on it that kicks on if temp goes over 220 and that had worked great. I think the combo of the extra oil volume with the cooler keeps the temps down to where the should be, but - also consider head temps, that matters even more regarding valve seats etc.
Racer
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Jun 30 2019, 10:48 AM) *

Got it, that's what I was wondering. Temp gauge running a little hot after driving for 30 minutes.

hotter than usual?
hotter cause it was 100 degrees outside?

Agree with others that the drama of a front mount might not be needed without learning more first.

A good gauge with numbers is a good first step to learn what temps you are actually dealing with.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Jun 30 2019, 04:15 AM) *

Just curious if this system is sufficient for cooling. Planning to mount this system to the front with hard aluminum lines to the rear. Will this do the job? I have a 76 fuel injected 2.0.

Click to view attachment

Are you thrashing it on the track? If so, a front cooler is the ticket. I don't see over 215 degrees. My cooler is huge and my oil capacity is about 7 1/2 quarts.
For daily driving I like the kit Chris has, plus a tuna can. More capacity can't hurt.
Also, I had a small village of rodents living under my engine tin. (years back) Clogged up everything. It's a good thing to check before doing anything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.