Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Mirror ID help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
gtgroupe4
I need a bit of help with these side mirrors.

Click to view attachment

One has smaller frame, mirror and square arm; the other is identical to the current production (less the RT-210 sn). Other than the size of the mirrors the aspect is the same (not convex), so I don't think the smaller one is passenger side specific.

Are both correct for a '70 914-6? Was there a difference in year, was one country specific.. et al...

Thanks in advance, Sumner.
1970 Neun vierzehn
I believe the smaller mirror is for model years 1970 and 1971. I also think that the mirror was the same for both /4 and /6. The slightly larger mirror is appropriate for model years 1973 and later. The Dr. Johnson book on restoration and originality is consistent with this assessment. The attached photo shows a red 1972 with a yellow 1970 behind it. Both are stock. The image dates from 1981. If you enlarge the picture, you can see the difference in the mirror arm, the early one (yellow) has a sharper angle than the rounded arm on the red 914. Hope this helps you.

PaulClick to view attachment
gtgroupe4
Thanks Paul. It does.
mepstein
Paul is correct
Tom_T
QUOTE(gtgroupe4 @ Jul 1 2019, 01:54 PM) *

I need a bit of help with these side mirrors.

Click to view attachment

One has smaller frame, mirror and square arm; the other is identical to the current production (less the RT-210 sn). Other than the size of the mirrors the aspect is the same (not convex), so I don't think the smaller one is passenger side specific.

Are both correct for a '70 914-6? Was there a difference in year, was one country specific.. et al...

Thanks in advance, Sumner.

Hi Sumner,

Regardless of -6 or /4 - the top smaller mirror with the square 90 degree angle arm is for early 914s 1970 - early-72 MY, & the bottom bigger round arm mirror is for late-72 My to 76.

There's good info on those sorts of questions on p914.com (& .org & .net), & Jeff Bowlsby's website bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

There's also a couple of good 914-6 websites with resto info, VIN registry, etc., which our new O&H Mod Dave P can post here for you & all.

welcome.png

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.