Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PORSCHE rear reflector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cazz
Hello All. Does anyone know who sells the Porsche letter rear reflector that mounts between the taillights and the electric solenoid for the rear trunk lid?
sb914
QUOTE(Cazz @ Jul 2 2019, 02:53 PM) *

Hello All. Does anyone know who sells the Porsche letter rear reflector that mounts between the taillights and the electric solenoid for the rear trunk lid?

Don’t do it !
SteveL
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jul 2 2019, 01:56 PM) *

Don’t do it !

agree.gif
KELTY360

Put a Wanted to Buy in the classifieds here. There are lots of guys who've dumped their reflectors that would be glad to sell. shades.gif
ValcoOscar
agree.gif Don't do it...

It was nice in the 80's, it's up to you though.

I have a good working solenoid if you find a reflector.

Oscar
Cairo94507
welcome.png Please rethink that plan; it does nothing to enhance the beauty of the 914. Regardless, welcome. beerchug.gif
shelby/914
Your car, do what you want. Of course mine had a reflector when I bought it. Thought about taking it off but there were too many holes to fill and I sort of like it. Still living in the 80s and on some days the 60s depending on which car I'm driving.

Dan
Ed_Turbo
Put a WTB here I bet someone is willing to sell you one.

You can please some Porsche guys, but you can’t please them all lol-2.gif shades.gif

-Ed
oakdalecurtis
Hey Ed, I guess opinions are like....., oh, never mind. I have had a reflector on the back for a long time, and I enter a lot of car shows with my car. I get nothing but positive feedback on the look of the reflector.
I have also added an additional layer of safety with the reflector in place. I put two strips of LED's behind it. I wired one strip to the running lights and the other strip to the brake lights. Here's some photos of the results. Daytime, running lights, brake lights. Can't be "too safe".......

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wes
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 2 2019, 04:34 PM) *

Hey Ed, I guess opinions are like....., oh, never mind. I have had a reflector on the back for a long time, and I enter a lot of car shows with my car. I get nothing but positive feedback on the look of the reflector.
I have also added an additional layer of safety with the reflector in place. I put two strips of LED's behind it. I wired one strip to the running lights and the other strip to the brake lights. Here's some photos of the results. Daytime, running lights, brake lights. Can't be "too safe".......

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I’ve often thought I’d like to do this but wasn’t sure how to go about it. Did you remove the silver paint on the back?
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(wes @ Jul 2 2019, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 2 2019, 04:34 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I’ve often thought I’d like to do this but wasn’t sure how to go about it. Did you remove the silver paint on the back?

Was 20 years ago, but mine was already translucent....
tejon007
Cazz,

I believe it's a cut-down 911 reflector, so you could buy one of those and customize it yourself...if the following doesn't work for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Center...redirect=mobile

(listen to what makes you happy with your car...hell, go ahead and cut it up and put a Chevy V8 in there if you want)

OakdaleCurtis,

Could you share a photo or two of HOW you put the LEDs behind you reflector? It looks really great and for sure makes you more noticed and safer out there...
oakdalecurtis
OakdaleCurtis,

Could you share a photo or two of HOW you put the LEDs behind you reflector? It looks really great and for sure makes you more noticed and safer out there...
[/quote]

Hey Tejon, I didn’t take any photos at installation of the sticky back LED strips, but it’s super simple. Buy some 12 volt strip LEDs online and cut length to go across metal trunk back. Then you solder some lead wires on to the LED strip, feed the leads through a small hole in back into trunk and connect to appropriate trunk light leads. Then peel of LED strip sticky back and press into place. LEDs are polarity sensitive, so check operation before installing lens.
pvollma
Here's the installation I used:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The shop sanded off the reflector where the LEDs were to be installed and then glued them to the back. The LEDs are wired into the brake circuit, which I believe provides more of a contrast than just a brighter light, serving as a somewhat third brake light. The car had the reflector when I bought it, and the remote trunk release was too much of a hassle (took 2 people, one to press the under-dash switch, the other to press down on the trunk latch), so as part of this installation I had the shop drill a hole in the reflector and reinstall the keyed latch. Since the original installation, I've added a pulsing relay to the connection that pulses the LEDs 4 fast and then 4 slow, finally staying on as long as the brake pedal is pressed.
Larmo63
Think the rear reflector is a fashion that has come and gone.

The cars that still have them have that "period" vibe.

Nothing wrong with that. confused24.gif
bbrock
I'm a dedicated originalist so will never put one on my car, but will admit that I still think they look cool.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 2 2019, 08:13 PM) *

Larmo, I’m still hanging on to my bellbottoms! piratenanner.gif
RickS
I still have mine on and love it.

Click to view attachment
Steve
I like the reflector look, but like the stock look better. Thanks to Oscar, for helping me fill the holes and put it back to stock. I still have the reflector and solenoid collection. Mine was a cut down 911 reflector. I was going to bring it to the next swap meet.
tejon007
Pvollmo and Oakdalecurtis,

Thanks for the info and photos!

So, now there's a couple options for the reflector lighting. Both look great, so I'll have to think about it. Like the brake light option with the auto-flash system.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 3 2019, 03:13 PM) *

Well said ,they are barf.gif barf.gif
Stratfink
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 2 2019, 11:48 PM) *

I like the reflector look, but like the stock look better. Thanks to Oscar, for helping me fill the holes and put it back to stock. I still have the reflector and solenoid collection. Mine was a cut down 911 reflector. I was going to bring it to the next swap meet.

Steve - looking to remove the loose/cracked reflector from my car. Any tips,on how you filled the holes to return to stock?

Thanks - Joe
B3owulf
OakdaleCurtis that looks awesome! also love the license plate!

Cazz do what you feel man, if you like the look go for it. I think it looks cool too! If people dont like it thats cool too!
Steve
QUOTE(Stratfink @ Oct 1 2022, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 2 2019, 11:48 PM) *

Steve - looking to remove the loose/cracked reflector from my car. Any tips,on how you filled the holes to return to stock?

Thanks - Joe

Oscar had a washer assortment. He tack welded the washer in and then found a smaller washer to fill the center washer hole. Then mig welded everything in including the small washer center hole. The rest was bondo, primer and paint.

These days If I wanted the rear reflector I would use magnetic strips to hold it on versus the big holes. This way you could easily remove it.
emerygt350
If you are going for the 80s, go all the way.

Click to view attachment

I need to do that brake light thing though.
mgphoto
I’ve had one for more than 20 years, on the shelf, I can’t bring myself to drill holes that aren’t factory. It’s a great looking piece but holes?
Maltese Falcon
The first one that I installed late 70's had the lettering in black. When the later '84-'89 Carreras came out with the "Ghost" lettering I switched out the early reflector for the Carrera unit. Simple measure + trim the (too long) 911 reflector, left and right sides. I sourced the 12v solenoid at an electric supply house>>still working* The French rear tail lights are the bees knees !
*I also utilize an emerg pull-line...for when the solenoid (eventually) goes kaput.
marty914.jpg
Click to view attachment
cali914
I like the reflector. It kind of ties the back lights together. Almost like the back of a Rivian.
cali914
I like the reflector. It kind of ties the back lights together. Almost like the back of a Rivian.
BillJ
I have one i took off my 6. Willing to sell it is in fine shape

dstudeba
QUOTE(BillJ @ Oct 2 2022, 08:31 PM) *

I have one i took off my 6. Willing to sell it is in fine shape

Just a heads up, the OP was looking for this 3 years ago.
kerensky
Gotta love zombie threads! biggrin.gif
BillJ
Hahahahaha. Well if anyonr wants one lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.