Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Visiting the US from UK
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Darren C
Hi Guy's,

I'm visiting L.A from UK on July 13th-19th. This will be my first time on the West Coast.
Are there any meets taking place that week where I could meet some fellow Fourteeners?
Or any general recommends of car stuff to see & do?

Kindest Regards
Darren C

Thanks in advance
bdstone914
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 4 2019, 03:38 AM) *

Hi Guy's,

I'm visiting L.A from UK on July 13th-19th. This will be my first time on the West Coast.
Are there any meets taking place that week where I could meet some fellow Fourteeners?
Or any general recommends of car stuff to see & do?

Kindest Regards
Darren C

Thanks in advance

@Darren C

Where on the west coast will you be? There are some cars and coffee meets usually happening on Saturdays.
Darren C
Huntington/Newport Beach Area
sb914
You’re super close. There are lots of car events but I’m sure we could arrange
A meetup and or a Pch drive !
ValcoOscar
I'm near Huntington Beach.

Can't commit to an outing however feel free to swing by my place. I'm always working on my 914's.

Maybe lunch chowtime.gif

See if others want to join.

Oscar
Darren C
Thanks Guy's, would be really good to put something together, meet folks & see their cars!
Steve
On the 13th (Saturday) there is a cars & coffee at crystal cove at 7am. We then head over to the San Clemente outlet mall cars & coffee at around 8:30.
Tdskip
There are quite a few of us in that immediate area.

Marconi Auto Museum is worth a visit.

Multiple cars and coffee events that weekend

Not sure about any broader Porsche events.

Some neat Porsche / classic shops to visit in Costa Mesa.

If a day trip to LA is in scope that opens up a lot too.
ValcoOscar
Darren

As you see, loads of options when come out for your SoCal visit on the 13th.
I'd enjoy meeting up with you.
There should be at least 3 other members at my house that day and more than eight 914's. Some 4 cyl, some 6 cyl and a few V8's. Both narrow and wide bodies.

I'd love to hear more about your restored blue 914.

Come on over.

Oscar

PM me
Darren C
Thanks for kind offers, it'll be a privilege to meet you guys!

My Alaska Blue 2.0L has been a whole load of fun since importing from Desert Hot Springs to UK & finishing the restoration (in Build-off Challenge a couple of years back) I've been to many shows over here in UK & we've got a BIG 14 meet a couple of days after I'm back in UK to mark 50 years of the 914 at Brooklands, the worlds oldest & first racetrack. Hoping to get most of the UK 14's & a few over from France/Germany to make it a great day.

Beforehand though, it's all systems go for a meet in CA next weekend/week after.

Kindest regards
Darren
Tdskip
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 6 2019, 12:19 PM) *

Thanks for kind offers, it'll be a privilege to meet you guys!

My Alaska Blue 2.0L has been a whole load of fun since importing from Desert Hot Springs to UK & finishing the restoration (in Build-off Challenge a couple of years back) I've been to many shows over here in UK & we've got a BIG 14 meet a couple of days after I'm back in UK to mark 50 years of the 914 at Brooklands, the worlds oldest & first racetrack. Hoping to get most of the UK 14's & a few over from France/Germany to make it a great day.

Beforehand though, it's all systems go for a meet in CA next weekend/week after.

Kindest regards
Darren

Was your car written up in one of the UK classic car magazines a couple years ago that did a feature on 914’s by chance? Classics and Sports Cars maybe?
Larmo63
Watch out for Oscar. He will make you drive one of his beautiful 914s.

Ask James how we treat you Brits when you visit!

driving.gif
Darren C
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 6 2019, 06:23 PM) *

Was your car written up in one of the UK classic car magazines a couple years ago that did a feature on 914’s by chance? Classics and Sports Cars maybe?

Yes!

That's the one. Got a neat write-up in the Magazine & the Build Thread is still live on here too.
Darren C
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 6 2019, 06:24 PM) *

Watch out for Oscar. He will make you drive one of his beautiful 914s.

Ask James how we treat you Brits when you visit!

driving.gif

Aha!

I know James! yes I've seen the photos....all the pieces of the puzzle are coming together now...

REALLY excited it's "that" Oscar :-)

Mind you, if any of you guys come over to UK, I've got a few toys here you can drive too in reurn.
Olympic 914
Good to see you back on the World. Too bad I'm on the wrong side of the country to be part of this meet-up.
Mueller
Who from the Bay Area wants to drive down there to meet Darren? I don't think the wife will let me drive that far by myself.

Hi Darren, so glad to see you posting again!

Mike
Mueller
Monday bump for Darren driving.gif

Darren C
Thanks for the bump Mike, not really been away ;-) I have been checking in regularly to see what you guy's have been up to! Was really waiting until I knew if my trip was going to happen before posting anything. It's been a long time coming.
Socalandy
Very cool, I'll be at Oscars Saturday for the meet icon_bump.gif
23e Heure
Watch out guys, Darren is a detail maniac, he'll be all over your cars!

Show him half as warm a welcome as you've been showing me, and he may teach you some more English vocabulary ;-)
Larmo63
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Jul 11 2019, 04:57 PM) *

Show him half as warm a welcome as you've been showing me, and he may teach you some more English vocabulary ;-)

My jalopy will drive him nuts if he's a detail freak. driving-girl.gif
Archie
It would be a blast to drive down from up here in Canada to meet another 914-shriven English bloke, but alas, too much on at the mo!
Don't worry Darren, these blokes make you really welcome! Have a good trip!

Archie, up in Vancouver, Canada. '

'72 1.7. L21E (Blood orange, brown interior) Completely stock.
914SIXXation
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Jul 11 2019, 06:57 PM) *

Hi Darren,
So glad to hear that you will be coming to southern California. Paul and I would love to meet you so we are presently planning to pop up from the San Diego area Saturday morning. I've looked at some of your posts and I am very impressed with what you have done with your 914.

Unfortunately, we won't be coming up in our 1970 914-6 as it is needing some work. So we cleared it with Oscar that it's ok to stop by......we'll hide our "non Porsche" away from view.

(We don't know where and time frame the gang of 914s will be Saturday so if someone could confirm that would be great as we may go and check out the events on our way up.)

BTW, We've been in your part of the world, Chichester, in the mid 80's and 2015, visiting my past room mate who is married to a lovely man from Chichester. We stayed in their little cottage outside of Chichester and could hear the cars racing at Goodwood! Love your area! We may get over there again in the next couple of years.

See you on Saturday! (Sorry we didn't get to meet James while he was here.)
Margie & Paul driving-girl.gif (Yankee Sheila) biggrin.gif
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(914SIXXation @ Jul 11 2019, 06:30 PM) *

Hi Darren,
So glad to hear that you will be coming to southern California. Paul and I would love to meet you so we are presently planning to pop up from the San Diego area Saturday morning. I've looked at some of your posts and I am very impressed with what you have done with your 914.

Unfortunately, we won't be coming up in our 1970 914-6 as it is needing some work. So we cleared it with Oscar that it's ok to stop by......we'll hide our "non Porsche" away from view.

(We don't know where and time frame the gang of 914s will be Saturday so if someone could confirm that would be great as we may go and check out the events on our way up.)

BTW, We've been in your part of the world, Chichester, in the mid 80's and 2015, visiting my past room mate who is married to a lovely man from Chichester. We stayed in their little cottage outside of Chichester and could hear the cars racing at Goodwood! Love your area! We may get over there again in the next couple of years.

Wait a minute, those other beautiful Porsche’s in your signature line and you’re driving up in a non-P car? dry.gif maybe we get a couple of Turbo Carreras together sometime idea.gif

Anyway, I wish I could meet up with the group too, I surely could use a cheerful crowd of like minded enthusiasts right now!
Darren C
Thanks guys, waiting to board the plane as we speak
Don’t worry about a hundred point check on your cars, I’m on holiday and left my clipboard at home!
Oscar, will call you this evening when I arrive
Kind regards
Darren
914SIXXation
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 12 2019, 12:43 AM) *

QUOTE(914SIXXation @ Jul 11 2019, 06:30 PM) *

Hi Darren,

Wait a minute, those other beautiful Porsche’s in your signature line and you’re driving up in a non-P car? dry.gif maybe we get a couple of Turbo Carreras together sometime idea.gif

Anyway, I wish I could meet up with the group too, I surely could use a cheerful crowd of like minded enthusiasts right now!

Would love to drive them soon, both are on non-op status presently and the GTR is strictly a race car. Sure would be cool to get a couple of Turbo Carreras together sometime....

Have a nice weekend.....

ValcoOscar
Ok, Darren landed safely. beerchug.gif

Tomorrow morning he and his friend are starting off at Cars & Coffee at Crystal Cove around 7am before heading to my house. Just in case someone wants to meet up with them and possibly convoy to my house. They will be in a 356.

This is our project for tomorrow.

Click to view attachment

Oscar
ValcoOscar
Click to view attachment
1adam12
popcorn[1].gif
jim_hoyland
Pic from Crystal Cove: me, Darren, Keith (914Toy)
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Delete
ValcoOscar
Delete
ndfrigi
Finally Jeffrey’s engine run for the 1st time after months of restoration.
Good too see lots of 914 guys and with UK guest Darren who helped Andy to figure out the issue. Wow Jeffrey has an import mechanic who is just visiting SoCal for the 1st time but was able to helped since morning till afternoon.

Nice seeing Larmo, Jerry, Keith, Margie and Paul, Ed, Andy, Darren and offcouse Oscar (our host again to used his shop).

Hey Ed, pm me your phone number so we can exchange phone number and you can try sending me the video Jeffrey’s engine running so I can add a youtube link here.
Darren C
I just want to say a MASSIVE thank you to Oscar for his hospitality & a big thanks to everyone I met today at Crystal Cove & Oscars place for making me feel welcome.
You’re a great bunch of guys!
Felt right at home helping trouble shoot & get the motor running smile.gif
Must have been my lucky 914World T shirt, that I packed especially
A Day to remember !
Thank you again

Kind regards
Darren
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 13 2019, 07:03 PM) *

I just want to say a MASSIVE thank you to Oscar for his hospitality & a big thanks to everyone I met today at Crystal Cove & Oscars place for making me feel welcome.
A Day to remember !
Thank you again

Kind regards
Darren

Hi Darren, can you share the website of the various projects who have done. Can’t find it or maybe I didn’t get the right site name.

Thanks for being so nice and helpful also even with just a week vacation here in SoCal you still managed to hang out with us the whole day.

Noel
Darren C
Hey Noel,
I wasn’t gonna leave the team until we scored and got that motor running!
Great to meet you

Here’s a link to Dowsetts on YouTube, you’ll see more short movies on there too plus google Dowsetts Classic Cars to find out more

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LfgSMgktC4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-EoUzrh4cw

You can check up all sorts of car stuff I get up to on my Twitter feed @classiccarguru1
And my 21st Century Outlaw build here

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...=28&t=62147

Plus I work as engineering consultant at Rolls-Royce motor cars + all the TV & film stuff

So I’ve got this car affliction thing real bad smile.gif
Kind Regards
Darren
ValcoOscar
To Darren beerchug.gif

Our latest honorary SoCal Member. beer3.gif

Special thanks to Margie and Paul for driving up from San Diego.

Oscar

ndfrigi
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 13 2019, 07:28 PM) *

Hey Noel,
I wasn’t gonna leave the team until we scored and got that motor running!
Great to meet you

Here’s a link to Dowsetts on YouTube, you’ll see more short movies on there too plus google Dowsetts Classic Cars to find out more

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LfgSMgktC4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-EoUzrh4cw

You can check up all sorts of car stuff I get up to on my Twitter feed @classiccarguru1
And my 21st Century Outlaw build here

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...=28&t=62147

Plus I work as engineering consultant at Rolls-Royce motor cars + all the TV & film stuff

So I’ve got this car affliction thing real bad smile.gif
Kind Regards
Darren

Yes Darren we noticed that you will not give up because you know it’s just a simple issue for you plus you have Andy too!

Hope you enjoy your week vacation here in SoCal!

ndfrigi
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 13 2019, 07:28 PM) *

To Darren beerchug.gif

Our latest honorary SoCal Member. beer3.gif

Special thanks to Margie and Paul for driving up from San Diego.

Oscar

Yes sir Oscar we have a great guest today at your house.
Darren who is an amazing builder and our SoCal own great and well known racer Margie Smith-Haas and Paul Haas! It could have been better if the new guy of Wheeler Dealer was able to join us also.
914_7T3
Another Great Day in the SoCal 914 Community @ValcoOscar 's
Thanks for opeining your home garage to everyone:

@Larmo63
@914Sixxation
@Ed_Turbo
@LS1V8Jerry

Special thanks to @SocalAndy for spearheading the non-spark issue on the '73 resto-project

Many thanks to
@914Toy
@ndfrigi
for guest wrenching and

@Darren C for the special guest appearance in getting her fired up to end the day!

So what if we burnt up a couple of PerTronix Electronic Injections and went back to points! Swapped the ignition harness back to OEM, coil, starter and cleaned up some grounds. It was all in a days wrenching!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Great Support and what a line up of awesome cars!
76-914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jul 13 2019, 11:28 PM) *

So what if we burnt up a couple of PerTronix Electronic Injections and went back to points! Swapped the ignition harness back to OEM, coil, starter and cleaned up some grounds. It was all in a days wrenching!

Two sets? That may be a first! Someone want to share what happened? Too many cooks in the kitchen?
914_7T3
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2019, 07:22 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jul 13 2019, 11:28 PM) *

Two sets? That may be a first! Someone want to share what happened? Too many cooks in the kitchen?

Burnt one set for sure, however the Ignitor II did not fit the distributor so its going back. The PerTronix that was originally in the car may or may not have been burnt, but the back-up set we put in fried for sure.

@SocalAndy & @Darren C determined that we were getting 12V with the key on, but less than a Volt when cranking. Ignition switch was the problem although it had been previously tested and swapped.

The mechanical part of the ignition lock cylinder is sticking as well so the bits in there are messed up. The entire thing needs to go.
Ed_Turbo
Nice to see old and new car buddies. We started it right up when I got there! aktion035.gif

@914_7t3 , whatever parts you thought werent working before the old ignition try them with the new ignition. They are most likely good.

Oscar said he will sell you the new ignition for $500 (it is NOS, BNIB, NLA). lol-2.gif

Bring all the parts you need so we can catchup (behind schedule!)

-The real Eddie
ndfrigi
Jeffrey, no issue with the starter. The ignition switch is. At first, the ignition key was already hard to turn. It was suggested to remove the ignition since we are loosing volt when cranking the engine and no sparks on spark plug wire. Sir Oscar said he has spare ignition switch with key.
And after plugging Oscar’s ignition, the engine started easily.
914_7T3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 15 2019, 05:30 PM) *

Jeffrey, no issue with the starter. The ignition switch is. At first, the ignition key was already hard to turn. It was suggested to remove the ignition since we are loosing volt when cranking the engine and no sparks on spark plug wire. Sir Oscar said he has spare ignition switch with key.
And after plugging Oscar’s ignition, the engine started easily.

My bad, its not the starter, but the ignition switch and possibly the ignition lock cylinder. My previous post has been edited accordingly.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 15 2019, 01:56 PM) *

Nice to see old and new car buddies. We started it right up when I got there! aktion035.gif

@914_7t3 , whatever parts you thought werent working before the old ignition try them with the new ignition. They are most likely good.

Oscar said he will sell you the new ignition for $500 (it is NOS, BNIB, NLA). lol-2.gif

Bring all the parts you need so we can catchup (behind schedule!)

-The real Eddie

Already have an OEM German switch on the way. Just need to get a cylinder in good shape that I can re-key. Will spend some time this week getting everything organized for Saturday.
914SIXXation
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 13 2019, 09:03 PM) *

A Day to remember !
Thank you again

Kind regards
Darren

Hi Darren,

It was so great meeting you at Oscar's this past weekend. We were glad we could break away to come up from San Diego to get a chance to meet you and see other 914eers. Being new participants in 914World this year, we had a fantastic time at West Coast Ramble and we feel we have met a new family of Porsche enthusiasts specializing in 914s. It didn't surprise us that there was a good size group of 914ers there at Oscar's to welcome you and help Jeffrey with his project on his beautiful car.

Next time you come, we will make sure we drive up our 914-6.

It's amazing how small the world is when we were discussing some of the people we worked with in the 80's when we competed at some tracks there and that you knew them as well. So many great memories. We love your country and the great people we have gotten to know and look forward to getting back again soon. flag.gif

Paul and I especially enjoyed sharing some of our England experience stories with you.
Sounds like you live very close to my past room mate.

I am so glad you had your "Build Off Challenge" shirt on and told us what all of it meant. Big congratulations for winning that Challenge! The photos/media you have shared are
amazing. I am so impressed with what you and so many other enthusiasts have done to restore as well as customize these awesome 914s.... what amazing patience and dedication!!! pray.gif first.gif pray.gif

And thank you Jeffrey for the yummy pizza/lunch and of course, Oscar for welcoming us to your AMAZING MAN CAVE GARAGE! Wow, were we impressed! So great spending time with all of you!

We hope you are enjoying your time in Southern California and know that you have some more new enthusiasts that appreciate your friendship here. I hope we get a chance to meet up with you again either here or in England. Would love to time our visit to come to a 914 event in England. Let's keep in touch!

Would love to get over to an event at Goodwood!

Will there be an event in England to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of 914?

I am also attaching some photos for everyone's viewing.

Have a safe journey home.

Cheers! Hip Hip.....
Margie and Paul
"Yankee Shiela"
driving-girl.gif

P.S. Jeffrey, We are looking forward to watching the progress on your 914!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.