Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New brake hard lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
My front hard lines are hosed (914-6 suspension). Would a flaps have replacement hard lines? Whats the flare size? What do I ask for?
maxwelj
I found a new set on e-bay.. Just straight, but with the proper flares.. (Bubble flare) and cut to length. might search there. About $40 for the entire set. A new one in the proper form is over $120 for just the long front one.

MattR
I should have specified, I just need the line from the flex line to the caliper on the strut. The long lines are fine, and so are the rears. My -6 suspension came with crappy hard lines that were removed with pliers... so they're toast.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (MattR @ Jun 26 2005, 08:44 PM)
Would a flaps have replacement hard lines? Whats the flare size? What do I ask for?

the fittings are 10,0x1,0 bubble flare.

you will definitely be able to find a line that is 'close' in length; usually only a bit of creative routing will take care of minor length issues. they won't have concours-correct anodise color, of course.

why? because you will find the answer?
Quadlinear
My closest friendly NAPA store here in Cinti carries the 10X1.00 bubble ended lines in various lengths. I need to get cranking soon with some bending exercises to mate the BMW front calipers to my -4 strut mounting. Promises to be a challenge. Since I'm replacing the Master Cylinder with a 19MM I am also replacing the whole section of the front hard lines. I'll prob go with the preformed variety ordered thru my friendly dealer.
Korijo
ph34r.gif

sheeplove.gif

ph34r.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Quadlinear @ Jun 29 2005, 02:28 AM)
I'll prob go with the preformed variety ordered thru my friendly dealer.

you are probably in for a surprise (BTDT).
when i ordered factory lines - especially the horrible Z-shaped one that runs through the double firewall from the center tunnel junction to the proportioner valve - they did NOT come preformed. they were just the right length, which was a nice thing, but i still had to do a lot of work.

go to the FLAPS and buy a tube bender - it'll help A LOT to make good, kink-free bends. you do not want a kinked brake line...
xsboost90
yeah i bought some at the FLAPS and they said european and were really close but no cigar, ends up they were the british ones in the wrong place, look close but just a tad smaller. Once you get the right ones though, bending it up is cake! wink.gif
Quadlinear
Well the tool chest is full of at least 4 types of benders. Haven't bought a bubble flaring too yet but prob will before it's over. Guess I thought the front main run of tubing was avail preformed from the dealer. I guess I can bend that section it's pretty straightforward. It's the jump from the strut anchor point to the new to the car BMW calipers that has me alittle stumped currently.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Quadlinear @ Jun 29 2005, 09:28 AM)
It's the jump from the strut anchor point to the new to the car BMW calipers that has me alittle stumped currently.

suggestion: go to the hardware store and get some big plumbing solder. solid is probably best. then use that to play around with different routings and bend locations, making sure there is no way you can foul on the brake disk. once you get a configuration you like, straighten it out, measure it, and get a line that's not shorter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.