Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Cables
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toadman
Need to replace the clutch cable on my 1976 4-cyl car.

Have read that the 914-6 cable is a little more substantial than the 914-4 cable and that the 6-cyl cable will work on 4-cyl cars. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, among the aftermarket replacement suppliers like Cofle, Gemo and Terry, are there big differences in quality?

Thank you
rgalla9146
QUOTE(toadman @ Jul 6 2019, 07:23 PM) *

Have read that the 914-6 cable is a little more substantial than the 914-4 cable and that the 6-cyl cable will work on 4-cyl cars. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, among the aftermarket replacement suppliers like Cofle, Gemo and Terry, are there big differences in quality?

Thank you

A real 914 6 cable is a very rare item. It's not likely you'll have that choice.
I've had good luck with Gemo cables.
Terry cables look like garage door lift cable....not my choice.
Most important is having all components from the pedal to the throwout bearing and
pressure plate in proper working order.
Rand
You do realize there are other options? You don't have to buy the Porsche part. Even a bike shop can hook you up.
bbrock
I bought a cable a couple months ago. The genuine Porsche cable (for a 914-4) was only a few bucks more through Sunset than any of the aftermarket offerings so I went with that. Installed it, but haven't tried it yet. Looks to be the quality you would expect though.
porschetub
Pelican one purchased a while back,Cofle or Gemo ? don't remember,seems ok but I found it too long,cut it back no issues,never mind better than being too short sad.gif .
No experience but believe some have had issues with the Terry cables.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 6 2019, 04:29 PM) *

I bought a cable a couple months ago. The genuine Porsche cable (for a 914-4) was only a few bucks more through Sunset than any of the aftermarket offerings so I went with that. Installed it, but haven't tried it yet. Looks to be the quality you would expect though.

agree.gif The Porsche cable is beefier & OK on price....
mb911
I have a new Terry and new Gemo on the shelf waiting to be installed.. The quality looks about the same with the Terry looking a bit more robust..
914Sixer
Check the length on the Terry, you might find it is too long. Best comparison is with original cable.
NS914
QUOTE(toadman @ Jul 6 2019, 08:23 PM) *

Thank you

While the guys are giving you the deal on cables, I thought I would add in a link to Tangerines Clutch Pulley Adaptor. It takes some of the stress out of the cable as well.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

Chris will tell you, "Relocates the clutch pulley to a horizontal position for better ground clearance and improved cable routing to clear exhaust header systems. Two sets of mounting holes allow adjustment for clutch cables that are too long, a common problem."

Hope this helps a little as well. Grant

Larmo63
agree.gif

Chris at Tangerine makes great stuff, I have this part on my car! And, I used the Patrick Delrin pulley.

Click to view attachment
toadman
Thanks for your responses.

I have ordered a Gemo cable for the 6-cyl car. I will take some measurements and let you know how this new cable stacks up against the original one I will remove from my car.
flmont
Can U install a clutch cable with the white sheathing cracked in a few spots ??
jcd914
QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 10 2019, 08:53 PM) *

Can U install a clutch cable with the white sheathing cracked in a few spots ??

You can but you risk pieces of the white sheath breaking off and becoming jambed in the clutch tube in the tunnel. This can cause a stiff pedal with poor clutch operation.
I've also had a few cables that were very tough to remove while replacing.

Jim
toadman
OK. My new 914-6 GEMO clutch cable arrived yesterday and I promptly removed the old one from my 1976-4. Have not yet installed the GEMO. It is marked "Made in Germany" so that is somewhat reassuring.

My "original" cable may not be original to my car as it does not have a plastic sheath for the cable portion that runs through the tunnel. Cables for the 914-4 should have this plastic sheath.

I also found an NOS, 914-4 Cofle cable among my spare parts so I am including measurements for it, too. This cable does have the plastic sheath.

The metal cable diameter for all three clutch cables is 0.11 in.

The black sheath for the GEMO cable, including metal ends, is 1.12 in. shorter than the other two cables.

Regarding overall length, the GEMO is 1.43 in. shorter than the removed cable and 2.43 in. shorter than the Cofle cable.

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I measured some NOS cables I had, the 6 cables were slightly larger in diameter.
toadman
Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Installed my new 914-6 GEMO cable in my 914-4 car this week. No particular problems except the overall length was close to being a bit too short. If I had it to do over again I would figure out a way to pre-stretch it before installation.

I installed the 11 mm nylon lock nut at the shift fork so that the cable end was flush with the top of the nut and held my breath. Got the car out today and the transmission shifts smoothly and the clutch disengages in the correct zone of pedal travel. As the cable stretches out I will tighten the nut and expose more threads. Eventually I'll add another nut like was there before.
Olympic 914
You should have it double nutted to lock it in place. Would suck to have it come loose down the road somewhere.

Isn't there adjustment at the pedal cluster end you can back out a little to give you more threads at the trans?

Mine was a little long and I cut off some threads at the pedal end so I didn't have to use a spacer at the trans end.

GeorgeRud
Regardless of which you get, having a cable (with a new trunion and two 7mm nuts) coiled around your spare tire will insure you never break one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.