Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaky front end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DickSteinkamp
1976 V8 conversion. Stock front suspension. Not rebuilt (under my watch, anyhow)

If I push down on a front fender, I get a pretty good "squeak". Somewhat louder on the left than the right. Same with going over even minor bumps.

Is there some way to isolate where the squeak is coming from? Are there typical bushings or other worn parts that produce a squeak?

Thanks.
iankarr
Very likely that's your torsion bar rubbing against the inside of the A-arm. Same thing happened on mine.

Over time the bushings wear out-of-round, allowing the bar to rub. Def something to address sooner than later. I made a video of the process. Link in my signature below.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 7 2019, 04:24 PM) *

Very likely that's your torsion bar rubbing against the inside of the A-arm. Same thing happened on mine.

Over time the bushings wear out-of-round, allowing the bar to rub. Def something to address sooner than later. I made a video of the process. Link in my signature below.

Excellent video, Ian! Thanks.
Mikey914
Yep there is a reason we made them.

The tool really helps too. The job requires installing the bushing while it's hot.

They are even on sale now too
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/c...-install-tool-1

dr914@autoatlanta.com
lubricate the upper strut bushings and torsion bushings with rueglyde, that will solve it, standard procedure when doing a 914 major service

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jul 7 2019, 04:19 PM) *

1976 V8 conversion. Stock front suspension. Not rebuilt (under my watch, anyhow)

If I push down on a front fender, I get a pretty good "squeak". Somewhat louder on the left than the right. Same with going over even minor bumps.

Is there some way to isolate where the squeak is coming from? Are there typical bushings or other worn parts that produce a squeak?

Thanks.

DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 8 2019, 10:01 AM) *

lubricate the upper strut bushings and torsion bushings with rueglyde, that will solve it, standard procedure when doing a 914 major service

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jul 7 2019, 04:19 PM) *

Thanks.

Thanks Doc. I’ll try that first.
Tdskip
Worth noting that poly bushings will squeak, so if that is what is in there it may be hard to totally get rid of it.
Mikey914
Poly bushings will not hold up anything like the rubber for this application. Hate to say they would install easier, but you’d be doing it more often. A lot more often headbang.gif
DickSteinkamp
The Ru-Glyde did the trick. Thanks again, George. No more squeaks.

The downside is that it's only available in 1, 5, and 55 gallon sizes w00t.gif The 1 gallon is only $14, however and available at NAPA. If anyone near me needs some, come and get it.

I remember "in the old days", before ArmorAll and other tire dressings, we used to buy it in a much handier size to clean and dress tires...

Click to view attachment
iankarr
Good to know about this stuff and glad your squeak has been silenced. No disrespect to the Dr, but I'd want to make sure this isn't masking an issue instead of solving it. If you're still running the original stock bushings, there's a really good chance they're sagging and allowing the torsion bars to rub. You don't want one of those to fail while driving. If it just started, you should be ok for a while, but def something to put on the list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.