Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
Can someone tell me how to disassemble this CV? It's locked together and won't budge.
I already have it off the axle.

Click to view attachment
bobboinski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsytyVzokBg

Mine came apart pretty easily. Trickier going back together.
Highland
I think this one may have been assembled incorrectly so it's locked up and will not rotate. Anybody have a clue how to disassemble or is this thing scrap. All parts are new.
bobboinski
I would put it on the splines and try tapping the the outer ring with a mallet to try to get it to pop loose.
Rob-O
Have you taken off the snap rings at each end of the axle? In the pic above I see the ends of the snap ring with holes in the end. Snap ring off, CV comes right off.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Highland @ Jul 9 2019, 08:29 PM) *

I think this one may have been assembled incorrectly so it's locked up and will not rotate. Anybody have a clue how to disassemble or is this thing scrap. All parts are new.

Yes it is assembled incorrectly. Difficult to achieve !
Try to rotate the inner ring and outer shell in opposite directions, one toward the
shaft one away from the shaft.
Re-assembly requires a wide segment of the outer ring to be across from a
narrow segment on the inner piece on the shaft.
If it was assembled it can be disassembled.
SirAndy
Should be the reverse of this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=458313

idea.gif
Highland
Thanks for putting up with my frustration guys. Found a Pelican thread recommending tapping on the ball bearing along the race and that seem to do the trick. Reassembled and the CV seems to articulate per the video now.
Highland
Somewhat related; can some tell me the highest the roll pin can extend past the surface the flange presses against.

Click to view attachment

My pins press in a little less than 10mm. My stock CV's were about 8.5mm. The depth of the hole on my original CV's are about 3mm deeper than the new one.

I did assemble one CV and torqued the flange (31 ft-lb). The gasket compresses where the bolts are but a little loose (very little) at the pin locations. Is this normal?

Hoping I don't have the drill these holes deeper. sad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Highland @ Jul 10 2019, 04:56 PM) *

Somewhat related; can some tell me the highest the roll pin can extend past the surface the flange presses against.

Click to view attachment

My pins press in a little less than 10mm. My stock CV's were about 8.5mm. The depth of the hole on my original CV's are about 3mm deeper than the new one.

I did assemble one CV and torqued the flange (31 ft-lb). The gasket compresses where the bolts are but a little loose (very little) at the pin locations. Is this normal?

Hoping I don't have the drill these holes deeper. sad.gif

Probably easier to grind the pins a little shorter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.