Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield has a smudge stripe inside
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advman89
I have no idea how to describe it...it goes around the full perimeter of the glass...looks like someone used a 2" blade of some sort when they were putting in the new glass. It feels like it's something that should come off...I tried a little rubbing alcohol, nothing.

They did a crappy job on the inside of the glass...the black glue is wavy and not even Just another reason that I'll be pulling it and putting a new base gasket at some point.

Hope you can see it in the pics.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
headbang.gif headbang.gif bs.gif
take it back.... flag.gif

Single Side Foam Installation Tape .25 X .25 X 18 Ft prevents squeeze out of urethane
Chris914n6
It's all over the interior trim too. That $&!# is a mess to clean up when it hardens.
John
I've only used the butyl rubber to install windshields in 914s. I believe I typically get 5/16". It comes in a roll along with spacer blocks. The spacers keep the windshield from sagging and I usually leave them in place. Make sure that if you pull the windshield, that you install new clips for the trim.

Hopefully, whoever you paid to do that job will man-up and do it right.

As for the crap on the glass, not sure what to tell you. Might try a tiny amount of nail polish remover to see if that cuts it, but be careful around your trim.
Cairo94507
That is upsetting to see. Have you tried some window cleaner and maybe some 0000 steel wool? Try a very small spot first. Regardless of that, the goop they used to secure the glass looks like a 5-year-old did it. I would definitely dispute the charge if you charged it and have another shop do the window correctly. headbang.gif
Cairo94507
OOOps.
porschetub
I thought folks on here mentioned several times they the shouldn't be clued in anyway as they will crack due to body movement confused24.gif ?.
Don't see an easy way to clean that mess up...hope it wasn't fitted by a so called professional.
Not sure how you would get this screen out ,could you heat up the urethane make an entry point hole and cut the joint using fishing line or similar,I've never done it.
mepstein
Looks like they got glue on the glass then scraped it off. Not good. It should be butyl tape. I wouldn’t touch it. I’d take it back and tell them to make it right.
IronHillRestorations
I'll 2nd mepstein. Take it back before you do anything, and take it up with the shop manager.

If I were going to try a solvent, I'd start with lighter fluid (naptha), chemically it's not very hot and shouldn't harm anything, and maybe a single edge razor blade.
sixnotfour
If I were going to try a solvent, I'd start with lighter fluid (naptha), chemically it's not very hot and shouldn't harm anything, and maybe a single edge razor blade.

dont touch it take it back... thats why modern windshields have a black out one inch wide black out around them to hide the mess,,, I gave em the benefit , of saying at least they should have used a barrier...

seen em both ways proper,,butyl/urethane

i hate urethane,,butt it can be done correctly
ConeDodger
Big no-no.

Your glass has now stiffened your windshield hoop. Good for your windshield hoop, bad for your windshield. They often crack after this improper installation.

Originally, they were installed with butyl tape. It is an easy two person job, and a doable one person job.

At this point, you’re basically fuched. Uninstalling will break it.

I’d guess they’ll tell you they can’t legally do a butyl tape install. So check your laws before you go.

Sorry... you can probably get them to cleanup their mess though...
advman89
This window predates my ownership...I have a receipt for a place called Glass Doctor in Danville, IL. 3/2013 is the date. Think that would hold up? dry.gif

The dash is a mess all around, so it needs to come out at some point...looks like they also used the existing gasket...trim is popped up on one side too.

I have other fish to fry on this project, I'll reach out to them, on behalf of the previous owner...it's a shit job using nice sigla green tinted glass....

mepstein
That changes everything. They might help you out but I wouldn’t expect them to.
TheCabinetmaker
It will crack. Then you will get to put in a new one. Urethane should never be used on a 914
76-914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 12 2019, 08:07 PM) *

Big no-no.

Your glass has now stiffened your windshield hoop. Good for your windshield hoop, bad for your windshield. They often crack after this improper installation.

Originally, they were installed with butyl tape. It is an easy two person job, and a doable one person job.

At this point, you’re basically fuched. Uninstalling will break it.

I’d guess they’ll tell you they can’t legally do a butyl tape install. So check your laws before you go.

Sorry... you can probably get them to cleanup their mess though...

agree.gif Just last week I was driving with my left hand upon the top left corner of the windshield. The movement was barely noticeable, but movement non the less. Place your finger tips right where the aluminum frame meets the glass then drive around a bit. beerchug.gif
toolguy
Are you sure the discoloration is on the surface of the glass?? and not in the mid layer of the safety glass itself. See if you can remove it from the surface with a new razor blade which won't mar the glass but 'plane' the residue off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.