Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool 914 Flow Simulation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joemo5
I snuck some time in after work today to toss in a 3D model of a 914 into Solidworks flow simulation. Shhh... don't tell the boss!

I found the model on Grabcad from Eric O. If he's here.. Thanks! I figured you guys would love to see this so here's a plot of the velocity streamlines. The lines show the flow path, and the color shows how fast the air is going.

Click to view attachment

Better yet, here's an video showing the flow in 3D. If you've got the band width, watch in HD 1080p

URL Link: https://youtu.be/-1dZOuYtUiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1dZOuYtUiU

In order to finish the simulation without running overnight, I had to limit how fine the mesh was which means that the simulation is not 100% accurate. The model is pretty basic too and not completely accurate. If by chance anyone has a more accurate model, I'd love to rerun the simulation with a finer mesh and better model. idea.gif
mepstein
That’s really cool. Thanks for sharing.
beerchug.gif
wes
Excellent beerchug.gif thanks!
BPic
Very cool. Thank you for sharing this. beerchug.gif
sb914
Post of the month! :Qarl:edit : of the year ! Thanks
IronHillRestorations
I remember reading in an old Panorama that said the 914 with the lights down had the best CD of any production Porsche up until the 924 (I think). I'll have to see if I can find that article.
Joemo5
Thanks guys. I looked up the Cd value once and remember thinking it was low. @IronHillRestorations I'd like to read the article especially if its got any real world values for comparisons
IronHillRestorations
Can you add the flaps at the bottom of the firewall?
JeffBowlsby
Mo Aero stuff:
Joemo5
@JeffBowlsby Sweet documents. Thanks!

@IronHillRestorations Sure. If I get some more free time I'll add them in. I don't know what they look like though. My car came partially disassembled. Got any pics?
wndsrfr
Any way to add a front spoiler and rear spoiler to the model? Sure would be neat to see how the flow is on Kermee at 100-140mph....
Here's a few pics...Oh, and ground clearance at front is 4 inches....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Thanks for sharing!!
Andyrew
Can you show it at 180mph? Curious to what happens at the rear end.
914-300Hemi
Thanks for sharing. Great video. Would interesting to see where the heat escapes.
Mikey914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 12 2019, 05:01 PM) *

These
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/f...air-deflector-1

The only problem is that your model will treat the engine area as a flat surface, not a cavity.
76-914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 12 2019, 07:14 PM) *

Can you show it at 180mph? Curious to what happens at the rear end.

agree.gif And at 130mph.
Tdskip
Thanks for posting this-super cool
johnhora
Thanks for taking the time to run this...very cool and interesting info.
jd74914
QUOTE(Joemo5 @ Jul 12 2019, 08:19 PM) *

@IronHillRestorations Sure. If I get some more free time I'll add them in. I don't know what they look like though. My car came partially disassembled. Got any pics?

More important than flaps are likely spinning wheels to be honest. Lots change when wheels move and the ground moves in my experience. smile.gif

SW started using a version of Mentor FloEFD-does it let you set turbulence models and all of that fun stuff? It used to be limited to a heavily damped k-e model to solve fast.

Neat stuff!
Superhawk996
Nice job with the CFD work. beerchug.gif

Looks like you'll have a new full time job as the 914 aero guy!

Bleyseng
Looks like a Ducktail would help breakup that low pressure area in the rear of the car
Joemo5
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 13 2019, 02:55 AM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 12 2019, 05:01 PM) *

The only problem is that your model will treat the engine area as a flat surface, not a cavity.

Thanks for the link. Your right though. The model I used is very basic and doesnt have an engine cavity, which makes a huge difference if you wanted to look at pressure plots (downforce) or heat transfer.

Solidworks is perfectly capable of doing both of those and I've got a suspicion that the engine cavity of the car acts like a baloon at high speeds. When I get the chance, I'll try to put in a basic engine cavity and see if there's a vw engine on Grabcad to put in there. That should give better results when looking at the rear of the car @Andyrew . I'll also run at higher speeds.

@wndsrfr Very, very nice car. I'll test out a variety of front and rear spoilers at some point. Thanks for the ride height info.

Long term goal is to get a better computer set up at home so I'm not limited to using my work computer after hours. That would give me a bigger time window.

Chris914n6
I have Solidworks at home on a decent comp. Wasn't intuitive to use so haven't gotten very far with playing with it, but I could probably crunch data with it overnight if I had files and a how-to.
Joemo5
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 13 2019, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Joemo5 @ Jul 12 2019, 08:19 PM) *

More important than flaps are likely spinning wheels to be honest. Lots change when wheels move and the ground moves in my experience. smile.gif

SW started using a version of Mentor FloEFD-does it let you set turbulence models and all of that fun stuff? It used to be limited to a heavily damped k-e model to solve fast.

Neat stuff!

Those are good suggestions. I'm still in my infancy when it comes to CFD analysis. Figuring out how to make the wheels spin sounds involved.

I dont know what turbulence models Solidworks used but I didnt dive in too deep when setting up the analysis. I used the wizard and let it choose based on my inputs. However, it was able to solve 108,000 cells in 20 mins using 8 cores, which is very fast compared to the Star CCM software I've used.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.