Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein Inserts Installation Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
Do I re-use the rubber bumper shock that came out of my old KYB shocks?

Do I put the rubber washer that came with the Bilstein between the dust cover and strut mount?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Do I re-use the rubber bumper shock that came out of my old KYB shocks? yes

Do I put the rubber washer that came with the Bilstein between the dust cover and strut mount? If you mean the little black rubber ring, no. It's just for shipping and is removed and tossed.
injunmort
I just did this on my '71. the bump stops would not fit on the bilsteins. could not find bump stops that would. I used the rubber o-ring between the insert and dust cover because the dust covers rang like bells without them. all is fine with this set up.
Chi-town
I called Bilstein on the little rubber washers, they said they are for shipping only and do not get installed in the car.
iankarr
My Ground Control kit said to cut that bump stop down at the crease and reuse.

See 7:14 of this link...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCEl24tNEfo&t=4s
mepstein
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jul 16 2019, 07:38 PM) *

I called Bilstein on the little rubber washers, they said they are for shipping only and do not get installed in the car.

That’s what they told me.
I cut the bump stop to fit. It’s just a bump stop, not a precision part.
Highland
Thanks. I used the bottom third of the bump stop and that seems to fit.

Unrelated, but is the funny pin ('73 car) used to attach the strut and ball joint suppose to be hammered in? I could not push it in by hand when test fitting.

Is the pin a one time use part? If I find I need to disassemble cause of user assembly error, can I drive the pin out and re-use or do I need a new one?
mepstein
QUOTE(Highland @ Jul 16 2019, 09:48 PM) *

Thanks. I used the bottom third of the bump stop and that seems to fit.

Unrelated, but is the funny pin ('73 car) used to attach the strut and ball joint suppose to be hammered in? I could not push it in by hand when test fitting.

Is the pin a one time use part? If I find I need to disassemble cause of user assembly error, can I drive the pin out and re-use or do I need a new one?

It’s said to be one use but it’s believe it can be reused if it’s in good condition.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 16 2019, 04:59 PM) *

My Ground Control kit said to cut that bump stop down at the crease and reuse.

See 7:14 of this link...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCEl24tNEfo&t=4s

sorry not related to the thread topic!

Saw your car Ian at Oscar’s place last weekend. At the background of the pictures below.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ottomotion
I am installing the green B6 sports today in the front and have the same question....do I use/cut down the old KYB rubber stopper?

It seems the original poster is installing the green in front and somehow Ian's video installing rears made its way in the post?

My concern is what was also mentioned by the other poster...... a "ringing bell" with no rubber mount inside the dust cover.

Just curious what others have done.

...and good info about the small rubber ring being just for shipping purposes. I was wondering!
Morrie
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 16 2019, 06:07 PM) *

I just did this on my '71. the bump stops would not fit on the bilsteins. could not find bump stops that would. I used the rubber o-ring between the insert and dust cover because the dust covers rang like bells without them. all is fine with this set up.

If I understand your post, you are saying you did not install the bump stops at all? I believe you risk bottoming out the struts and damaging them without bump stops, or at least that is what ended up happening on a friends 912. Be careful.

Morrie
76-914
IIRC, I didn’t install them (on the front)because they wouldn’t allow me to start the nut on top. Ask @Eric_Shea
Steve
I read that Bilstein shocks have built in bump stops. Talking to a local Porsche shop, they said some do and some don’t.
Ottomotion
I ended up using the large plastic split 'washer' that came of the old strut insert . It installs at the base of the new Bilstein ' threaded portion of the stem' and there is provision for this machined into that part of the strut. Sorry...no picture. Anyway, when the dust cover goes on, this big plastic donut piece keeps the dust cover from from rocking and looks like it will keep it nice and centered.
Will probably be a mute point when everything gets torqued down anyway.

Thanks for the replies! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.