Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are you using as lubricants around the car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
I'd like to know where, what, and how you're using lubricants around the car, such as door hinges, seat belts, ignition switches or wherever else you feel needs to be lubricated, regularly or not. Whatcha usin' ?
mepstein
A “dry” style bike lube works great for most moving parts. Cable and housing, latches, windshield mechanism pivots, window winders, etc. Basically anything that needs lube but you don’t want it to remain wet and attract dirt. It has a lubricant like Teflon in a carrier that evaporates.
bbrock
I also use teflon dry lube for any parts that are exposed and could attract dust and dirt. Dielectric grease for electrical parts. I use only specialty dry lube spray for lock mechanisms (not graphite). Either red rubber grease or pure silicone grease for rubber bushings (the permatex dielectric grease I use is pure silicone). Glycerine for lubricating rubber seals and hoses, and also wires for installation. Redline synthetic grease for wheel bearings (which is probably overkill). Swepco moly lube for CV joints. Everything else I pretty much follow the lubrication recommendations in the factory shop manual. Actually, I usually consult the shop manual first and then substitute with a modern equivalent where it makes sense. For example, they spec glycerine paste for rubber bushings and pure slicone grease for rubber parts is the modern version. I don't think teflon dry lube was around back then but way better than any oily crap that will trap dirt on hinges and such.
Andyrew
I keep a can of white lithium grease handy. I use it on all door hinges every year for all the cars, it's great for other stuff when needed (latches, cables, ect).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.