Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil AGAIN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
I am SORRY, NEW HERE, I know oil topics grow old and repetitive. Just bought mine from Colorado and now in S Arizona where it's too hot to drive it in summer. Will drive mid Oct through end of May. Temperature lows can be 25 F and highs in those months 95. The owner in CO was using straight 30 weight, please give opinions, I know this issue is very opinionated but would still like to hear from you. Has 99,000 on the engine never rebuilt.
ndfrigi
Welcome to 914world!
That is a beautiful 914!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...25751&st=20
framos914
No input on the oil, but very nice car!
Cairo94507
welcome.png Well that is a beauty for sure. I am sure you will get tons of opinions. beerchug.gif
aharder
welcome.png
I'm going to a 15 - 50 Mobil One when I get it off the jack stands biggrin.gif
scallyk9
Yes, beautiful car in one the very best colors. 1974 1.8L I believe.

Ok, I'll start. I use Valvoline Racing VR-1 20w-50w in my stock 1974 2.0 LE for its high zinc content.

SWEPCO 306 in the '87 Carrera 3.2L motor w/MFI in the conversion 914.
Firstcar
Welcome to World! Nice acquisition- enjoy!
IMHO these three in order (in addition to the VR-1:

Joe Gobbs Racing Driven DT50
SWEPCO 306 10W40
Brad Penn 20W50
johnhora
Nice 914...

This works well and is a decent price point.

Click to view attachment

second wind
I use VR1 in my 914 and 944 because of the high zinc. Someone tried to tell me Redline oil has high zinc as well. I would hate to switch unless there is a very good reason. Anyone care to comment? Thank you very much.
gg
PanelBilly
Motul 5W40
Larmo63
Nice car!!

Find some stock mirrors for it.

welcome.png

steuspeed
Valvoline 20-50 VR-1 High Zinc. Great color on ths car!
JawjaPorsche
Valvoline 20-50 VR-1 High Zinc! Been using it in my original 914 with great results.

welcome.png
VaccaRabite
I buy Brad Penn Green racing oil 20w50 by the case. It was the first of the high zinc pushrod friendly oils and as worked really well in my car (which always ran hot while I had carbs). Chris used Brad Penn in his race car when he was actively racing, and swore by it.

That said, and of the newer high zinc / racing oils should work fine, including VR-1, and Joe Gibbs / Driven.

Zach
Geezer914
I second Brad Penn oil 15-40w or 20-50w. Use to be Kendall oil. Green stuff called liquid spinach.
Racer
15-50 or 20-50 for the summer.
Synthetic or Dino.. doesn't matter. Old cars have frequent oil changes.

Maybe 10-40 in winter.

Buy an owners manual. Old cars have great manuals, with lots of details and even how to perform certain regular maintenance.
914_teener
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 17 2019, 05:07 PM) *

Nice car!!

Find some stock mirrors for it.

welcome.png

LOL.... agree.gif

Forget out the oil. Just park it and stare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.