Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird electrical thing going on - Need some help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AHudson
My 1970 914-6 has just finally gotten back together, I'm enjoying driving it for the first time in about a year!

Last night I got in the car and turned on the headlights. All good. When I pushed the stalk for high beams, they came on BUT my tach instantly died. Turned the back to 'normal' and tach bounced back to life. What in the heck???

I have recently gone to LED bulbs for gauges and tail lights, so if thats causing some oddball resistance problem, just wanted to share the only change I've made.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
914Sixer
Did you change the flasher relay to one that would accept the voltage changes? You might need a EP26 LED flasher unit.
Jmkorfha
When operating one electrical device affects another, unrelated device, the problem is almost always ground related.
Porsche 914s suffer from ground problems more than most any other car.
The problems are well known.
I would start with the body to transmission ground strap.
Make sure the Battery to body negative lead is clean and tight.
After that, get a long piece of wire, attach it to the neg terminal on the battery and clip it to the place where the tach gets it’s ground.
I suspect you will have proper operation at that point.
If so, clean and check all your grounds.
76-914
QUOTE(Jmkorfha @ Jul 18 2019, 07:19 AM) *

When operating one electrical device affects another, unrelated device, the problem is almost always ground related.
After that, get a long piece of wire, attach it to the neg terminal on the battery and clip it to the place where the tach gets it’s ground.

Neat trick! Thx for sharing that. thumb3d.gif
AHudson
QUOTE(Jmkorfha @ Jul 18 2019, 09:19 AM) *

Oh my gosh, is it too early in our relationship for me to profess love!?! smile.gif Thank you!

I'd cleaned both the battery ground and trans strap ground, BUT, the last tech in there (who removed both) may not've reattached as securely. In fact, my 'charge light' comes on now when it didn't before, but goes out after a few moments. I bet you you're right on the ground!

OH, and thanks for the recommendation #914SIXER on the relay. No I did NOT replace that, but plan to right away.

Super good advice guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.