Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mid-Engine Targa, What A Brilliant Idea!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
Well the new Corvette is out, refreshing to see a mid-engine targa as part of the Corvette development. I'm not really Vette fan and I probably should be growing up in the Detroit area and once working for GM.
Here are a few pics and Haggarty has a nice article if interested. Me, I"ll stick to Porsches and love my 914 and 911SC driving experiences.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
pete000
Looks pretty good, glad to see the top comes off. I hear it is base priced at around 80K which would probably make it the cheapest mid engine semi super car out there.

When and where did you work at GM??

injunmort
I just saw base is around $60k with 450hp. screaming deal if true.
betz
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 19 2019, 08:41 AM) *

I just saw base is around $60k with 450hp. screaming deal if true.

Starts at just under $60k

495 HP, 0-60 in less than 3 seconds and an all new dual clutch transmission.

Jesus. What a deal. It's gonna be weird seeing regular people in super cars everywhere.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 19 2019, 08:38 AM) *

Looks pretty good, glad to see the top comes off. I hear it is base priced at around 80K which would probably make it the cheapest mid engine semi super car out there.

When and where did you work at GM??

Tech Center, Fisher Body Division, Warren MI, 1967-1968 and due to time in the military 1972-1974

Base is 60K beerchug.gif

driving.gif white914.jpg
sithot
Always a value. The gauntlet has been thrown down.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes FINALLY they came out with it, and a huge bargain, yet not as attractive as these two!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Beebo Kanelle
Wasn't one of the CERV's based on the 914?
Beeliner
My wife is showing me the photos of the vette now.

All I need now is my inheritance check.....

Under $60,000: 0-60 under 3 seconds....

driving-girl.gif
I hope she lets me drive it......
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Jul 19 2019, 10:29 AM) *

Wasn't one of the CERV's based on the 914?

1973 Chevrolet Corvette XP-897 GT
flyer86d
No stick shift! I am not interested then.

Charlie
iwanta914-6
I watched the reveal show last night. I was skeptical about this but after watching it and hearing sub $60K base model with 0-60 under 3 seconds, I was impressed. Best looking "Corvette" since the 60s.

That being said, I wish they could have just made this a sub model and have both the classic front engine and mid engine variants available. But regardless, I'm not a customer so my opinions don't matter...
Prorallye
Watched the reveal last night too. I believe the 0-60 in under 3 seconds was for the Z51 package. I'm sure a base car is probably not far off. The C5 and C6 didn't do much for me but I've always thought they were great performance for the money. C7 I liked. However I think they hit the ball out of the park with this one. I like dual clutch transmissions so I'm ok with that.
twistedstang
Great news for those that may be in the market for a tough transaxle.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Prorallye @ Jul 19 2019, 02:39 PM) *

Watched the reveal last night too. I believe the 0-60 in under 3 seconds was for the Z51 package.

You're right, though every click bait headline uses $60K and 0-60 under 3 seconds in it's headline so it's misleading and a bit confusing...
TravisNeff
I bet in a month or two you can pick up a brand new 2019 C7 for pennies on the dollar! I did that with my mustang before the new body styles came out and saved a ton.
90quattrocoupe
I am not a fan of edgy body styles.
The door blades are huge. The rear end does nothing for me.
My folks raced a 63 corvette back in the day and I see nothing here to make me want a new one over an old one.
I don't like the edgy body styles on the new motorcycles either. Last one I liked was my 750 Interceptor.

Greg W.
Cairo94507
I had a C2, '67 Stingray with a 427, side pipes, etc. Loved that car. Then I was not a fan until the C7. But I would buy the C8- love it and the mid-engine is the reason. My wife can't stand Corvettes, except she loved the C2's. I will have to wait to see what she says when she sees her first C8. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Were probably looking at ~66-68k for the Z51 package, which comes with enough goodies that any petrolhead should automatically gravitate towards it.

Im looking for something in the next few years and this ticks every box...
worn
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 19 2019, 01:35 PM) *

Were probably looking at ~66-68k for the Z51 package, which comes with enough goodies that any petrolhead should automatically gravitate towards it.

Im looking for something in the next few years and this ticks every box...

Yeah. I just wish it didn’t look so...so... like a marvel movie. Cause I think they have all whatever it takes to stake a claim without going all dayglow about it. Bu t then I am old, and I have to take that into account.
Valy
I find it interesting that the industry keeps creating new donors.
914Sixer
Let see now, I can have a High Country Crew Cab pickup or a new Corvette for the same money. Going to have a tough decision.
gereed75
Wow. They finally did it. Mid engined and A Vette that you can take pride in as a true American production super car.

Only 5 hp difference with the z51 - sounds like the base model will be no practical difference in that 0-60 time.

And passes the two golf bag test.

Was thinking seriously about a Cayman GT4. Now thinking about this for very different reasons.
Garland
In 1973 at GM
XP-987 GT
To increase the car’s appeal in global markets, the decision was made to downsize this Corvette concept, which would also save weight and increase the performance of the two-rotor RCE. Without a suitable platform in-house, GM looked to Europe for a mid-engine car of roughly the right size, opting to purchase a Porsche 914/6 for the project. Even this wasn’t small enough, and GM reportedly cut 6.5-inches from the Porsche’s wheelbase before widening the track in front and rear. The stock Porsche suspension was retained (with altered mounting points to accommodate the widened track), as were the original brakes, and the platform was fitted with the RCE (mated to three-speed automatic transmission) before being sent to Pininfarina for the body.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 20 2019, 04:59 AM) *

Wow. They finally did it. Mid engined and A Vette that you can take pride in as a true American production super car.

Only 5 hp difference with the z51 - sounds like the base model will be no practical difference in that 0-60 time.

And passes the two golf bag test.

Was thinking seriously about a Cayman GT4. Now thinking about this for very different reasons.

Z51 has different gearing thus it has the better 0-60.
914forme
agree.gif will also have a bit more software to keep you going forward.

Hopefully you can turn that crap off for days when you need to feel the edge again., or for when your about to replace the tires and want to drop 11s all the way to the tire store.

Anyone know does the Z51 give you true limited slip, and not the electronic version.
Andyrew
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 21 2019, 06:03 AM) *

agree.gif will also have a bit more software to keep you going forward.

Hopefully you can turn that crap off for days when you need to feel the edge again., or for when your about to replace the tires and want to drop 11s all the way to the tire store.

Anyone know does the Z51 give you true limited slip, and not the electronic version.

They specifically went over "ELSD" in the announcement.......

Larmo63
Personally, I don't think the current model is a bad looking car. I'm not a buyer, so it's only my opinion, and if someone gave me one I'd drive it. (for a few months)

One of my clients has a white convertible and it is quite a car. But, Corvettes (newer models) have always grabbed me as a "mid-life crisis" type of car for both men and women. Where is the adventure in a sports car that you get in, turn the key, and everything actually works? Nothing to do on it but polish it? Not mechanically user friendly?

What is that like?
GeorgeRud
All modern digital cars don’t really appeal to me that much. Like a refrigerator, they work well, but have little personality. However, for the price, they’ll certainly give the Boxster and Cayman a run for their money.
jfort
I’ll have to study it more and see/hear one in person to decide if I like it. I know this though, I’d never buy the first year model.
jim_hoyland
Some car, it’s a real head turner. I am surprised Chevrolet didn’t take the opportunity to go green, an electric car like the Tesla. Even Porsche is edging into e cars.
sithot
EV? Here's some thought provoking links.

http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2019/...ve-history.html

http://www.autoextremist.com/
maf914
QUOTE(sithot @ Jul 22 2019, 03:10 AM) *

The Autoextremist.com site is one of my regular weekly sites. I always enjoy Peter Delorenzo's articles concerning the auto industry, new models, and auto racing. He is a long time Corvette guy (as well as other cars, including Porsche), so I assume he will have some interesting comments on the new Corvette. Recommended.

I like the new Corvette so far. I look forward to seeing the Corvette racing team version at Daytona in January.
dcheek
Finally a Corvette that is really world class, and you can actually SEE the engine.

Hear that Porsche? You can SEE the motor for all the cash you lay out.

While I love the new 992 911, I hate the "window air conditioner" look of the "engine". Just doesn't cut it for the 100K+ you are spending.

The one bad thing on the new Corvette is no manual offered. I will sacrifice the few tenths of a second 0-60 to be able to row the gears. Other than that, GM nailed it. I'm also skeptical of the 60K entry point. I would guarantee your are not going to get one on road for less that 80K. That said it's still a bargain compared to its competition.

Maybe there will be a negative backlash like when Porsche only offered the PDK on it's special models and caused an uproar in the Porsche community. They came out with a manual as an optiion the nexts year. Maybe that will happen to the Corvette??

Dave
Cairo94507
I would bet there is a manual offering in the pipeline. Regardless, I would not but the 1st year of the C8- let them get some real world miles and use on them and shake them down a bit.
FourBlades

But will the drivetrain fit in a 914???

happy11.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 22 2019, 07:00 AM) *

But will the drivetrain fit in a 914???

happy11.gif

With a little cutting, it should.

Now not very many are going to put a 40k drivetrain into their 914 if the manufacturer doesnt start with a "P"...
horizontally-opposed
Looks like the high point for styling among modern Corvettes for me was probably the C6 Grand Sport convertible. My head turns every time I see one.

The C7 coupe never grew on me, and not sure why. But this thing is slowly growing on me...we'll see. Looks like killer performance for the price—something several Porsche engineers have mentioned over the years as a high point of Corvettes along with their curb weight.

Have always wanted to like the Corvette, and have been impressed with aspects of the C5, C6, and C7—or very impressed in the case of the Z06 and ZR1. Dampers and ceramic brakes come to mind, as do engines. It's the rest that usually let me down, the "almost" seen inside and out. It's part of why I'd rather have a base Cayman or Boxster of any generation in almost all cases—but I can certainly get why others feel differently.
Amphicar770
I've been telling friends for a while that the new Vette is finally catching up to the 914. But, seriously, Chevy has hit it totally out of the park with this one. Want is high.
Chi-town
I wonder if they've finally fixed the outdrive issue they've been nursing along through the last few generations. If not it'll do 0-60 in 3 a few times before they snap laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.