Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crazy wipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80’s old school
I have a 1970 914-4.

The wipers have a mind of their own. They work fine when needed, but sometimes they wipe on their own for no reason at all.

A lot of the times they will wipe back and forth several times right after starting the engine without turning them on.

Any ideas (besides replacing motor) to fix this?
914Sixer
Check to see if you have intermittent wipers. Bad relay has been know to create this problem.
FlacaProductions
Intermittent thread: http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/Wip...nstructions.pdf
80’s old school
I will do some checking.

I have a feeling it is some kind of relay or switch glitch.

However my car is a 1970 which definitely did not have intermittent wipers.

I will keep digging in.
RickS
Make sure your fuse block hasn’t gone TU.
80’s old school
I fixed it... at least fixed it for now.

Since mine is a 1970, it has a dash mounted wiper switch. I disconnected the wire from the switch that powers the wiper motor to return the wipers to the “home” position when you turn them off.

Now I have to stop the wipers when they are in the home position. No big deal...I live in SoCal....it never rains!
914Sixer
May be a faulty switch. New ones on theSamba.com , same as the Karman Ghia 1970.
flipb
QUOTE(80’s old school @ Jul 22 2019, 10:41 PM) *

Now I have to stop the wipers when they are in the home position. No big deal...I live in SoCal....it never rains!

As long as I've had my 914, the wipers haven't "parked" when I turn them off... they just stop instantly when I switch them off. I love it; I use it to park them on the passenger side instead of the usual spot in the driver's line of sight. Only astute 914 owners notice. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.