Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 123 Distributors are worth it.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
A couple weeks back, I purchased the 1974 Black on black appearance group 1974 from @tdskip . (Great guy, honest and straight forward. just what you would want in a car sale)
When I got the car, it ran very well. My daughter and I drove it down from Orange County to Valley Center and it performed as expected.

Then, I had to do a bunch of travel for work and I didn't get to do much but watch it as I went to and from the airport. The first weekend I had it, we put the 123 distributor in and spent an hour or so trying to figure it out. The following weekend, I brought my mechanic son-in-law and his mechanic friend over, bought them a couple of burritos from Jilberto's, a 12 pack of beer and we were off to getting it running.

We had a few stumbles but decided to bring the grand daughters over, step away and take a dip in the pool to clear our heads. During that time, John (the friend) had a thought and when we got out of the pool and back to work, he put it into play. And what do you know? It worked.

It's not often that you get to really feel the difference a part makes. Like I said, the car ran very good, idled a "little" rough but nothing you wouldn't expect from a 45 year old car that had a stock distributor with Pertonics in it., and it pulled strong. When we got the 123 in place, everything went from really good to much, much better. Amazing is all I can say. And programming the curve via Bluetooth just makes it that much more fun. My daughter and I just took it out for a spin and had such a great time.

If you are thinking about putting one in and are on the fence about it, jump in. With both feet, right into the deep end. You won't regret it.

And, again, thanks to @tdskip . Just a great guy who factually represented the car to me over the phone and email in a honest and straight forward way.
Mike
Tdskip
Thanks for the kind words, glad you are having fun!
Porschef
agree.gif

Was really on the fence about getting one. Seemed like a frivolous thing in the grand scheme of life but finally (I think it was the last day of the group buy) pulled the trigger.

It really made a difference for me in that I was able to eliminate the pinging that would occur under load during hard high speed acceleration. Being able to custom set the centrifugal curve has eliminated that problem. And while I haven’t set the MAP curve yet
(not sure I have to?) it’s dialed in pretty well. Additionally, cold starting/idle has also improved greatly.

The Bluetooth feature that allows disablement is another great feature; it’s a true anti-theft that takes just a couple seconds to activate.

Glad your purchase was a smooth one, always nice to hear a positive story... beerchug.gif
914Sixer
smilie_pokal.gif Good to hear everything went smooth.
jim_hoyland
A terrific upgrade ! Also found out the cap and rotor are standard parts. Ed at 1-2-3 is always ready to help you out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.