Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buddydog
hey all i have a 76 914 2.0 i picked it up awhile ago because i was told it was a 75 i was going to fix it but i discovered it was a 76 i am in california so that meant smog i did not want to deal with that so i just left it sit never got papers it is black it has its original engine itis not rusty at all cali after all it seams like alot of these cars have been engine swapped and more so is an original car worth something like a 60s muscle car numbers matching and originality any way thanks
Cairo94507
welcome.png Good luck with the sale. Punctuation is your friend BTW. beerchug.gif
Chi-town
I thought all the 76's were 2.0?
buddydog
punctuation is over rated and time consuming weather all 76s are 2.0s are not is not the question the question is is it worth leaving it together for someone to restore if not i will take the engine and put it in my bus and us the trany in another 914 along wiith any other piece i may need
mepstein
It's worth keeping together. Not everyone lives in California and a low/no rust 914 is pretty desirable on the east coast.
2mAn
we need pics
Dave_Darling
Worth restoring? Maybe. If you're paying someone else to do the work, and only looking from a monetary point of view, then the answer is almost certainly "no".

If you're doing all the work yourself, and enjoy the process, then the answer is likely "yes".

The car is a bit of a rarity; there weren't that many 76es made. Less than 8,000 made, according to what I have read. It's not as rare as a Six, nor as desirable, but it's less common than other four-cylinder years.

--DD
IronHillRestorations
A 914 engine will fit in a bus, but not a good choice. A 914 engine was designed for a smaller lighter vehicle.
sixnotfour
great 914 anywhere , but CA...legis. in work, but dont hold your breth
Chi-town
I'd take a 914 2.0 in a bus over that slug 2.0 they came with.
More hp, more tq, yes please!
And a head designed for less detonation, nice combo
IronHillRestorations
Actually I have no first hand experience with a 914 engine in a bus, I'm just repeating what Jake Raby has posted about it.
shelby/914
I certainly would not part out a nice car just because it's a '76. There are 49 other states and maybe all don't have emission tests plus cars are going back to Europe. Colorado has emissions but only in a few counties. Even on the front range a '76 only has to pass an E test once every 5 years. My '76 actually passed once.

Dan
wes
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 22 2019, 03:52 PM) *

Worth restoring? Maybe. If you're paying someone else to do the work, and only looking from a monetary point of view, then the answer is almost certainly "no".

If you're doing all the work yourself, and enjoy the process, then the answer is likely "yes".

The car is a bit of a rarity; there weren't that many 76es made. Less than 8,000 made, according to what I have read. It's not as rare as a Six, nor as desirable, but it's less common than other four-cylinder years.

--DD

agree.gif I believe there were 4075 made in 1976 the final year. And so it is fairly rare as 914s go and final year so might be worth more in the future although nothing like the 914 6 or the 2 Limited addition cars of 74.
djway
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/pre-1983-ve...mpt-california/
You and others in Cali may be interested in this bill introduced in the legislature recently.
Don't take it apart
tejon007
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 22 2019, 05:19 PM) *

Actually I have no first hand experience with a 914 engine in a bus, I'm just repeating what Jake Raby has posted about it.

Many years ago, I actually put a 1.7 914 motor in a 1.7 Westfalia.

Not being one to disagree with Jake Raby...but, there were pluses and minuses. IMHO the benefits outweighed the detriments.

The most important benefit was 20% more horsepower that made the bus a little less like a bus and a little more like a vehicle that could get out of its own way...
sixnotfour
post a for sale ,,except CA...pretty simple
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes yes yes. 76 was the very last year of the 914, had all of the body improvements, was the rarest year of production, only 4100 made, and all were 2.0 models. No 76 was ever made in 76 as emission and crash standards changed on calendar years, and jan 1976 had a whole new standard to which vwporsche did not want to conform, I personally think that the 76 is the most valuable of all of the four cylinders, except for the 74 limited editions that Jeff Bowlsby single handedly made very valuable by his extensive research

QUOTE(buddydog @ Jul 22 2019, 03:38 PM) *

punctuation is over rated and time consuming weather all 76s are 2.0s are not is not the question the question is is it worth leaving it together for someone to restore if not i will take the engine and put it in my bus and us the trany in another 914 along wiith any other piece i may need

76-914

poke.gif Evidently spelling and/or diction is over rated as well!
bbrock
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 23 2019, 10:00 AM) *

lol-2.gif Ithinkmaybespacesareoverratedandawasteoftimeaswellsomaybeweshouldallmakeourposts
asmuchaPITAforotherstoreadaswecan
sixnotfour
CA. 76 from the 80s stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif idea.gif headbang.gif chair.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
no he is right: (LOL)

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 23 2019, 09:00 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 23 2019, 07:18 AM) *

yes yes yes. 76 was the very last year of the 914, had all of the body improvements, was the rarest year of production, only 4100 made, and all were 2.0 models. No 76 was ever made in 76 as emission and crash standards changed on calendar years, and jan 1976 had a whole new standard to which vwporsche did not want to conform, I personally think that the 76 is the most valuable of all of the four cylinders, except for the 74 limited editions that Jeff Bowlsby single handedly made very valuable by his extensive research

Ah no George. Production stopped in Dec 1975 because VW switched over to assembling the Scirocco. Only 4075 bodies were made with the last available body parts/good stampings. Porsche even looked at switching to another location to make the 914 but instead produced the 912E. I have 4063.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.