Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery bumper on engine bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I've always had this rubber bumper on one end of the cross bar for late engine mount which I assumed:

1. was to provide extra protection for the e-brake cable (in addition to the rubber sheath on the cable)

and

2. that I was missing one from the other end.

Then I just realized that bumper is a rear sway bar bushing which makes me now think it was probably placed there by a clever or clueless mechanic at some point. Either way, it fits like it belongs there but doesn't appear in the PET. Anyone ever seen these on an engine cross bar before? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Shade tree mods. Not stock.

I don't see a reason why it would be needed.

Zach
bbrock
Thanks Zach. Mystery solved. IIRC, one of the original e-brake cables was missing the rubber sleeve and had worn through the sheathing. Probably somebody put that old sway bar bushing there to stop the metal cable sheath from rubbing on the bar. In the trash it goes. beerchug.gif
mb911
That looks like sway bar bushing..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a lot of people have put buffers on the engine bar, especially when the heat exchanger rusts loose causing the warm air elbow and heater control valve to droop and make contact with the bar. Causes a very annoying rattle underneath the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.