Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okteenerfest Sponsor AASE Sales 993-G50 914 on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Minerva's 914
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Porsche-914-9...RIAAOSwObBc5-pF

Looks like a nice one
SirAndy
Damn, they hacked up that chassis good! WHY?
icon8.gif

Minerva's 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2019, 03:36 PM) *

icon8.gif

Yeah, pretty brutal approach to fitting all of the stuff in but there is a lot of stuff to stuff in.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2019, 02:36 PM) *

icon8.gif

The workmanship is excellent, but I don't agree with the design choices.

To run a G-50 in a 914, you have to redrill the bell housing bolt locations and flip it upside down. You can't flip the diff, there is no room for the ring gear on the other side. And the engine to trans bolt pattern is not symmetrical. To get the motor in the right position in the engine compartment, you have to raise the back of the trans up, so the rear trunk floor has to go.

And a G-50 is over 10K to buy in rebuildable condition, and probably about the same again to rebuild it. wacko.gif

In the front, I don't see why they had to add the power brake booster from the 993. Even with a 3.6, a 914 is no way near as heavy as a 993. Seems a waste to me.

tejon007
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2019, 12:36 PM) *

icon8.gif

Maybe they started to make a 914 limo...and then though better of poke.gif it??

Their car, their choice...Lots of work and fabrication in it that shows & I bet it goes!!

And look at those cool Porsche-vanity valve stem caps !!
SirAndy
QUOTE(tejon007 @ Jul 24 2019, 08:30 PM) *
icon8.gif
Maybe they started to make a 914 limo...and then though better of poke.gif it??

You compare this to giving two wrecked cars that were destined for the crusher a new lease on life?
confused24.gif
tejon007
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2019, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(tejon007 @ Jul 24 2019, 08:30 PM) *
icon8.gif
Maybe they started to make a 914 limo...and then thought better of poke.gif it??

You compare this to giving two wrecked cars that were destined for the crusher a new lease on life?
confused24.gif

Hey, if somebody wants to take a couple of 914s and make a limo...more power to them, really. Best wishes for a successful project!!

And, if somebody wants to criticise a 914 limo project and say something like "they
hacked up those chassis good, why?"...well, isn't that just being arrogant and snobby??

No worries. Just hoping that there will be less flaming on projects/posts and that members can be more open-minded to other's cars. (Yes, probably a delusional hope)

Some people take a different path in their projects than we or others might...encouraging them to share/post here benefits and enriches us all...even if it's a path we wouldn't take ourselves.

Here's to more 914 projects...more limos and more 993-G50s!!

SirAndy
QUOTE(tejon007 @ Jul 25 2019, 11:33 AM) *
And, if somebody wants to criticise a 914 limo project and say something like "they
hacked up those chassis good, why?"...well, isn't that just being arrogant and snobby??

Again, those two cars were about to be crushed. We had nothing to lose by trying to see if we could take the two good halves and put them together.

IMHO, it's a whole different story to cut up what looks to be a otherwise solid chassis to make some shiny parts fit.

I doubt there was anything wrong with the rear firewall and the upper portion of that trunk floor before they decided they needed space to make a flipped G50 fit in there.
dry.gif
tejon007
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 25 2019, 11:48 AM) *

IMHO, it's a whole different story to cut up what looks to be a otherwise solid chassis to make some shiny parts fit.

OK, that's cool and you have a right to think so...but, other owners have different opinions and different ideas. Aren't their opinions equally valid?

For example, there are lots of 914 owners with V8s, Subaru, LS motors, etc. They might disagree, might even have cut up their 914 for enhanced performance and shiny parts... biggrin.gif

Are they wrong too?
Steve
Yep... just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should. The 915/916 trans is a nicer option, even though I bet the G50 probably shifts better. Not worth the hassle. The limo is a cool project. Hopefully we will see it done someday. I would love to go for a ride in it!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(tejon007 @ Jul 25 2019, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 25 2019, 11:48 AM) *

OK, that's cool and you have a right to think so...but, other owners have different opinions and different ideas. Aren't their opinions equally valid?
For example, there are lots of 914 owners with V8s, Subaru, LS motors, etc. They might disagree, might even have cut up their 914 for enhanced performance and shiny parts... biggrin.gif
Are they wrong too?

I'm not sure why you think i'm trying to oppress someone's opinion by simply stating mine. That's not how opinions work.

Just because you don't like my opinion does not mean i'm trying to take yours away or even "flaming" a build.

I don't like the build and you won't "shame" me into saying otherwise or not saying anything. The fact that you are offended by my opinion is really your problem, not mine.

I never said anyone was wrong. I never said my opinion was more "valid".

I said i didn't like the fact that they cut up half of that car to build it.
Not sure how you interpret any of that as anything other than the words that were written.
confused24.gif
tejon007

Please, let's just forget it...

You're completely missing the point...I like you & your opinion and support/defend your ability/willingness to express your opinion. It's just that sometimes isn't it better when "opinions" that denigrate others' projects are just kept to ourselves? (Your comment wasn't nearly so bad as others have posted, but when it comes from an admin member, it might mean something more to the members of this community).

The 914 limo project is cool.

The 993-G50 914 project is cool.

The current Car of the Month (COTM) project is cool. In fact, it mesmerizes every time it pops up on the screen.

But, the limo project is no more saving a 914 than the 993-G50 project is destroying one...they're both valid projects for the cars' owners, just different. The COTM is not an example of destroying a 914 either, even though the trunk and other parts were cut up significantly more than the 993-G50 project. An interesting question to ask yourself is: when you reviewed the COTM project, did you think, say or post... "Damn, they hacked up that chassis good! WHY?
icon8.gif"

So, the point is: just because someone builds a 914 project differently than you or I would, why denigrate their work? There was an awful lot of time, money, and skilled execution in the 993-G50 project...and throwing shade on it only serves to reduce the willingness of others to share their projects. How many either don't post or stop posting due to negative comments? And when that happens, we all lose.

In other words, if we can't say something nice about someone's project, why not consider saying nothing?

My very best to you & peace out!

Minerva's 914
A little less than 3 hours to go on this and it sits at $35,000. Be interesting to see where it ends up.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Jul 28 2019, 03:13 PM) *

A little less than 3 hours to go on this and it sits at $35,000. Be interesting to see where it ends up.

Looks like one legit bid and 3 shills by the same person trying to push the price up ...
dry.gif

CODE

8***g(886)    $35,000.00    28 Jul 2019 at 4:25:34AM PDT
8***g(886)    $35,000.00    22 Jul 2019 at 6:07:42AM PDT
8***g(886)    $30,000.00    22 Jul 2019 at 3:28:47AM PDT
r***7(249)    $20,000.00    19 Jul 2019 at 7:25:02AM PDT
Starting Price    $20,000.00    18 Jul 2019 at 6:00:00PM PDT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.