Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frunk Extremely Hard To Open
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Minerva's 914
The front trunk is almost impossible to open unless someone presses down on the lid as the cable is pulled. Is there a simple procedure for adjusting the tension on the release latch?

At first I thought maybe it was a pinched or restricted cable but it seems to pull fairly freely with the lid open.

HELP
Rand
Lube
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 24 2019, 05:43 PM) *

Lube

Thanks,

Gubed up with lube, lithium grease.
IronHillRestorations
You can also try to adjust the latch mechanism upward a little. If everything lines up and the corner bumpers are adjusted where you want, it could put too much stress on the latching mechanism.

The easiest thing you can do is put washers in between the hood and the hook latch, and see if that helps. Just make sure the hood seal is hitting everywhere.

You can test how the seal fits by putting a strip of paper between the hood and seal, and pulling it out. If it drags or you can't pull it, it's good, if it slips right out, you need some adjustment. If you don't ever use the car in the rain, skip this smile.gif
bandjoey
Might need to pull the cable and lube or replace the cable even thought it seems to pull ok
mepstein
You need to lube the pull mechanism and the cable. Pull the wire cable out from the housing and lube the wire with a good bicycle lube. It will make all the difference and pulling a difficult cable will eventually cause something to break or pull from the cable stop. For the engine lid, you can just drip some lube from the latch and let gravity do the work.

I like using a dry bike lube (goes on wet but the carrier dries after a bit) on all the pivots and cables. It will distribute to all the moving points but not collect dirt like a wet lube or grease.
fiacra
I'm new to this, but wouldn't simply adjusting the tension on the cable possibly solve this problem? I just had the same problem with my '73 and it was easily fixed by simply loosening the cable retaining nut at the latch while I held on to the end of the cable with a pair of pliers, then pulling the cable a bit tighter and re-tightening the retaining nut. Now the latch releases like a charm....
mepstein
QUOTE(fiacra @ Jul 24 2019, 09:48 PM) *

I'm new to this, but wouldn't simply adjusting the tension on the cable possibly solve this problem? I just had the same problem with my '73 and it was easily fixed by simply loosening the cable retaining nut at the latch while I held on to the end of the cable with a pair of pliers, then pulling the cable a bit tighter and re-tightening the retaining nut. Now the latch releases like a charm....

It gets looser because the increased friction makes you pull harder and the cable starts to slip through the retaining nut. So lube and reset the cable.
Minerva's 914
All good advice, tomorrow I will check the closure, adjust the stops, pull the cable and lupe with bicycle chain dry lube, etc.

Thanks
Valy
In my case the cable jacket was loose. After I fixed it everything worked great. And lube...
rhodyguy
Is the cable sheath intact and secured by the little clamping piece At the front end? Mine was compromised and the trunk was hard to open. I put a dab of JB weld on the sheath and clamped it down. That kept the sheath in place and it worked fine. Does the trunk close rather hard too? If so, the little rubber spacers at the corners might need to be adjusted.
Minerva's 914
Okay, just to wrap this up and add my experience to the knowledge base.

Lubed the cable, and removed the rubber bumpers and it opened perfectly. Reinstalled the rubber bumpers and adjusted them properly and no more problems.

Lesson learned, do the basics first before chasing demons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.