Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The price is right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cali914
Hey guys I saw this about a month ago at a local cars and coffee. The kid was a nice young man selling his 914-6 so that he could put his energies into his early 911. Does this price seem reasonable?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
SirAndy
I don't think i have ever seen this car before even though he appears to be local ...
idea.gif

PS: If it was build right, it would cost you at least that much to replicate it.
Steve
agree.gif
You couldn't build it for that price. That's a lot of power for a narrow body car.
Adding on those steel flairs and painting the car would be another $10-20k depending on additional rust repair, dents, etc.
Cairo94507
That's a heck of a lot fo car for the ask. I would love to see a bunch of photos of the whole car. You would be money ahead to buy that if it is all done right. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 26 2019, 10:32 AM) *

agree.gif
You couldn't build it for that price. That's a lot of power for a narrow body car.
Adding on those steel flairs and painting the car would be another $10-20k depending on additional rust repair, dents, etc.

I like 5he look of a narrow body car. Way I figure it was the way they designed them and the way we saw them coming out of the dealers. The power is no longer unusual. I suppose the light car is. Point being: I like that car from what I can see.
thelogo
I think as nice or nicer cars go on bat for less
50k seems like alot but to those who know
It cost at least 65 to replicate this car .

But i think finding a buyer at 45 or 50
Will be extremly tough. Thats 993 money right ?

38k and its gone in a hour
Larmo63
Something about an Olympic blue six that's weird to me.

I love the color, don't get me wrong, one of my favorites.

Sixes didn't come in that color. Maybe it's just me.

I do love the car, I'd like to see the build first hand.
bobboinski
I think 50k is a good starting point for a 3.6. My wife saw me looking at this and said you're not getting another one are you?????
Sm914650
Dont know the guy, but Im familiar with the car. He purchased it in Burlingame sometime last year on Rollins Road. Apparently original guy had to sell due to personal issues. From what I understand, it is a very nicely built engine, good car. Disappointing to see it isnt original as id been told. Didnt know olympic blue wasnt a 6 color.
rgalla9146
A 3.2 or 3.6 makes it a dependable daily driver SLEEPER.
I hope he gets the money.
Hard to duplicate for the money.
The competition is a modern 911...the Porsche icon.
914s are still not everyones' cup of tea.

horizontally-opposed
It's a lot of car for the money, HC, and better still after selling the 15x8s and flares.

I hear Larmo on the wrong color for a six thing, but it's a perfect excuse to do one of my hot-rod looks: "Invisibly" widened rear fenders with 16x7 and 16x8 Fuchs in factory 1980s finishes. This car would be stunning done that way, with 205s and 225s or 245s. I'd leave the black bumpers to go with the black wheel centers. Done.

Just my take.

None of these are quite as subtle/invisible as the rear flares I saw on a car that sadly burned to the ground back in the 1990s—or one wearing widened VW steelies around the same time—but you get the idea. Love the 16x9s, but maybe a bit extreme. wink.gif

Also kind of like the idea of keeping this one's paint a bit more on the rough and ready side...would be a killer car for CA rallies and events.
sixnotfour
951 16 x 7 & 8s beerchug.gif
larryM

i recently considered a very nice '89 Carrera cab at $48K ask - it had the entire 3.2 top-end done & 100K miles on it - didn't like the color combo much - decided to wait awhile

the Base 2020 corvette is to be priced at $60K -

. . . that changes one's perspective
bobboinski
QUOTE(larryM @ Jul 27 2019, 10:44 PM) *

i recently considered a very nice '89 Carrera cab at $48K ask - it had the entire 3.2 top-end done & 100K miles on it - didn't like the color combo much - decided to wait awhile

the Base 2020 corvette is to be priced at $60K -

. . . that changes one's perspective

Those Corvettes will come with a large dose of depreciation. Plus it seems like the first year Corvettes always have problems.
Chi-town
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Jul 28 2019, 08:44 PM) *

Those Corvettes will come with a large dose of depreciation. Plus it seems like the first year Corvettes always have problems.

First year? Try every year laugh.gif

I'll never forget the first time I heard a guy say his FRC roof flew off at a vett meet and someone replied "yeah, that happens" blink.gif

You are correct on the depreciation, they drop fast
davehg
“Price seems on the high end.”

(Checks receipts for current 2.7 twin plug down to bare metal build, which are eclipsing $60k)

“Ummm....That’s a lot of car for the money.”
Cornerlot
The black conversion car sold by AASE days ago with the 3.6 and G50 took 2 tries to sell on Ebay. Sold for 38k, and was pretty darn nice too.
horizontally-opposed
Is this the high water mark for six conversions, at $52,000 + fees?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-porsche-914-6-gt/

It was a really nicely turned out GT-look car with broad appeal and was presented well to boot, but even then I remember being surprised at the final price over $50k given some of the details (silver paint on the Fuchs) and a 2.0-liter six making only 110 hp at the wheels. But the car sure had the look...
mepstein
It’s almost always easier and cheaper to buy than build. Even at $50k.
rick 918-S
Sometimes it's all about the cool factor assimilate.gif
mb911
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 29 2019, 11:12 AM) *

Is this the high water mark for six conversions, at $52,000 + fees?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-porsche-914-6-gt/

It was a really nicely turned out GT-look car with broad appeal and was presented well to boot, but even then I remember being surprised at the final price over $50k given some of the details (silver paint on the Fuchs) and a 2.0-liter six making only 110 hp at the wheels. But the car sure had the look...

That car lives in Wisconsin.. Its a pretty nice car..
larryM
our local German collector-broker-exporter-expert says the current $$$ market is strictly interested in "original & numbers matching"

- all else is just a used car -

-4 conversions simply can't compete in that collector (non-depreciation?) atmosphere

- one might buy a $100K museum resto quality 914-6 and almost never drive it & maybe 10 yrs hence it will be worth original cost (or hopefully more) - so long as there is no economic recession and we aging -6 cult cognoscenti do not check out of the hobby - if we regularly drive it, the elements will take a toll

but let's not forget the investment maintenance costs: $$ spent on pristine storage, trailer to transport, & collector-valu insurance etc

imho any aircooled 911 is a 'way safer non-depreciation bet

rhodyguy
The younger generation not familiar with the brand/model will have no interest in a 914 when our estates try to sell them. 0. An aging/dying consumer group/base. A $30K+ car that requires REAL maintenance, is 50 years old and comes with no warranty? Not in the world of $1.2k cell phones. owners are getting to the break even or nearly point on their cars, taking the money and walking away.
mepstein
For some it’s too old, for others it’s too modern. I think it all depends what excites you. An antique Porsche hot rod or something else. Collectible, probably not. Fun to drive, Hell yea!

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 4 2019, 11:55 AM) *

our local German collector-broker-exporter-expert says the current $$$ market is strictly interested in "original & numbers matching"

- all else is just a used car -

-4 conversions simply can't compete in that collector (non-depreciation?) atmosphere

^ "the current $$$ market" is missing out on a lot of fun. Perhaps all of it. lol-2.gif

QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 4 2019, 11:55 AM) *

- one might buy a $100K museum resto quality 914-6 and almost never drive it & maybe 10 yrs hence it will be worth original cost (or hopefully more) - so long as there is no economic recession and we aging -6 cult cognoscenti do not check out of the hobby - if we regularly drive it, the elements will take a toll

but let's not forget the investment maintenance costs: $$ spent on pristine storage, trailer to transport, & collector-valu insurance etc

imho any aircooled 911 is a 'way safer non-depreciation bet

It's a sad thing to consider the 914 market going this way, which sounds awfully 356 to me, but…I don't think it will go this way. The few original cars might, but they are few and my gut says that, just as there is a market for well-done 912 and 356 (and 911) hot rods, there will be a market for well-done 914 hot rods. These buyers tend to value the parts + labor + condition + time involved to build the car. It isn't 1:1, but it isn't 1:4 anymore, either. This market will almost by definition exclude the "safe advice" set. Which the 914 generally has for, what, 50 years?

Mainly, I don't think there is "one market" for the 914 any more than I believe there is "one market" for early 911s or other Porsches. Just my two cents...
Unobtanium-inc
This one is interesting.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/1...ZDoos_2nipcK7KA

larryM
agreed -

- i absolutely admire those in this 914 sector who have at the cash to play with -4 conversions upwards of "$100K invested"

you like it, you have $50K loose change (or maybe $125K?) - BUY IT !!!!!!!!!! - yes it will be lots of FUN (maybe)

yup - i'm in the "safe" set - - i never was in that rarefied fiscal club, & am now too old to spend pension $$ on speculative "investments"

truth be - i love my NB Miata on local mountain backroads - just drove it to-nite on a 20 mile mountain loop in 90* temps - top down, AC on ... delightful! - admittedly not as zoomy thrilling as my 3.2 GT on the track - but enuf for " an old guy" (not '2-lane blacktop', just a narrow blacktop with no center stripe - sort o like the race track - with occasional oncoming hillbilly's using the whole road cuz "they pay taxes for it" ya know

quote name='horizontally-opposed' date='Aug 5 2019, 04:46 PM' post='2735702']

^ "the current $$$ market" is missing out on a lot of fun. lol-2.gif there will be a market for well-done 914 hot rods. These buyers tend to value the parts + labor + condition + time involved to build the car. It isn't 1:1, but it isn't 1:4 anymore, either. This market will almost by definition exclude the "safe advice" set.

Mainly, I don't think there is "one market" for the 914 any more than I believe there is "one market" for early 911s or other Porsches. Just my two cents...
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.