Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Connecting choke linkage for 2 Weber carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
Unfortunately, when I disassembled the carbs, I did not take a photo of how the choke ("starter valve") linkage between the two Weber carbs was connected. See attached photo.

I did find a very small cable clamp that looks like it may have been used, but I sure cannot figure out how to make it work.

The choke linkage from under the dash to the left carb works fine - it is to the right in the pic. While the cable to the right carb has a plate (to the left) that it mounts to, I see no way to connect the cable from under the dash to the one going to the right carb - the one that comes from the left in the photo.

I am sure there is an easy way - or parts - with which to do this.

Can someone who has Webers show me how to do this?

TIA!

GN
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I've never seen a functional idle enrichment linkage set up, but I'm curious.

Did yours have a master and slave cable? That would probably be the most simple
Mark Henry

It's a funky system and extremely prone to getting stuck a crack open.
Activating them they can get stuck open/part open, this will dump raw unatomized fuel down the carbs, washing your cylinder walls and is a quick way of running your rings, engine etc.
I drill and tap for a pipe plug and permanently disable the plungers closed, then use an available blank plate and toss the lever mechanism.

New EMPI weber IDF copies don't even have this circuit drilled.
Gatornapper
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 27 2019, 08:25 PM) *

It's a funky system and extremely prone to getting stuck a crack open.
Activating them they can get stuck open/part open, this will dump raw unatomized fuel down the carbs, washing your cylinder walls and is a quick way of running your rings, engine etc.
I drill and tap for a pipe plug and permanently disable the plungers closed, then use an available blank plate and toss the lever mechanism.

New EMPI weber IDF copies don't even have this circuit drilled.

Mark - excellent point, thank you. Porsche dealer rigged this up when they installed the carbs about 1,500 miles ago, just a year before the car was abandoned in my friend's barn.

Wondering how hard the engine will be to start without the starter valve when engine is cold? It indeed is not a choke, as there is no plate to "choke" the throttle bore.

I'm pretty careful with using a choke, as my old Harley (rode yesterday) has manual choke, and I never leave it on.....so I'm not worried about leaving it on myself - and the mechanism to the left carb is pretty simple and clean.

IHR - Not sure that terminology is right - or wrong. Secondary cable runs from left carb to right, have to be manually connected to both work. Knob under steering wheel only works left carb. It would function as a slave.

Thank you both.

GN
rhodyguy
You don't really need the enrichment setup. 2 or 3 throttle stabs and feather it for a little bit when the engine starts. The idle should settle down in short fashion.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 28 2019, 09:58 AM) *

You don't really need the enrichment setup. 2 or 3 throttle stabs and feather it for a little bit when the engine starts. The idle should settle down in short fashion.

agree.gif I've never had an issue starting and a long time ago I drove my bug with webers most of a Canadian winter. If really cold I may have to do the above 2-3 times, but it always starts.

Only issue I had was a sticking (frozen) float but it was really cold out. The big caveat is the salt and crap is really hard on the carbs, even when only driving dry winter days.
bbrock
Awhile back, I asked about whether to use the cold start circuit. There may be some good information in that thread to help decide whether to keep the cold start circuit. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...319718&st=0

In the end, I decided to remove mine and blank them off. If I wind up with cold start problems, I may add a hand throttle like the sixes had.

I've always been curious to see these hooked up on a 914 but yours is the first. Sounds like a master/slave cable setup.
rgalla9146
Aren't those levers lightly spring loaded toward non enriched ?
Current bicycle cables are very low friction and would be ideal both from the
cockpit and for the relay cable.
The linkage can be done very cleanly.
Use a single cable long enough to extend from the dash through the holder on the first carb and then on over to the other carb.
You'll have to fab a bracket attached to the carb to support the sleeve from the cockpit.
The single wire will extend directly through one carb then the relay sleeve over to the other.
Gatornapper
Gentlemen! Thank you!

Got message loud and clear and starter valves are disconnected and will not be used.

My '72 Triumph Bonneville T120V that I brought back to life from 15 years of death (I have 3 early '70's Triumph's, all run like new & I ride them), starts on 1 kick, hot or cold - also does not need a choke - ever. Many owners remove the choke assembly because it's unnecessary. Simple engine - simple carbs. The same as the VW engine.

Only makes sense. Why risk damage & trouble! And it's a whole lot easier to not mess with the linkage too.......

Thanks to all!

GN
IronHillRestorations
I had one engine that had Webers with the cold start mechanisms. I tapped the plunger bores and put plugs in.

They'll sputter a bit in cold weather, but I've never really had trouble starting in cold weather without the enrichment set up. I was always curious if it made a difference and how it was hooked up.
Gatornapper
Thanks Perry....good news.....

GN

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 28 2019, 08:08 PM) *

I had one engine that had Webers with the cold start mechanisms. I tapped the plunger bores and put plugs in.

They'll sputter a bit in cold weather, but I've never really had trouble starting in cold weather without the enrichment set up. I was always curious if it made a difference and how it was hooked up.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.