Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Water leaking into triunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RenoRoger
A few weeks ago I installed a new rear trunk seal from 914 Rubber. 2 days ago I got caught in a torrential rainstorm while driving. When I got home, I found a significant amount of water along the rear edges of the trunk. The trunk lid fits quite well but obviously doesn't squeeze the seal tight enough.

Looking at the trunk floor, repaired by the PO, it is obvious that the car suffered water damage previously. Adjusting the hinges wouldn't solve the problem in my opinion AND would require undoing those ugly, yet functional, torsion bars.

I looked at the rear trunk lid of a Boxster and found the seal to be much fatter. Anything like that available for a 914? Any other suggestions?

914Sixer
Not going to be top seal. Water is coming in on tail light seals. Do a test with a water hose and see what happens.
JFG
I found the same problem with ingress around the lights.

I smeared and rubbed in some cavity wax (the clear stuff) around the foam seal and worked in as best i could.

I no longer have ingress.
Valy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 28 2019, 03:08 PM) *

Not going to be top seal. Water is coming in on tail light seals. Do a test with a water hose and see what happens.

agree.gif
RenoRoger
QUOTE(JFG @ Jul 29 2019, 11:53 AM) *

I found the same problem with ingress around the lights.

I smeared and rubbed in some cavity wax (the clear stuff) around the foam seal and worked in as best i could.

I no longer have ingress.

Thanks, I'll reseal the lights.
bandjoey
get water seal putty rope about 4mm at Home Depot, and put that in the body around the light, and the new 914 rubber foam seal on top of that. Probably overkill but it works for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.