Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oversize VW Jugs w/piston kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
Again, I apologize for asking a question that has probably been beat to death on this forum - but I can't find anything about the subject in any searches at all.

A friend is a top notch mechanic and auto engine teacher. He told me that you can purchase VW jug kits with the pistons in the cylinders that make a top-end rebuild simple, and that there are also over-size kits.

Done some searching and I can't find anything that would take a 2.0 to 2.5 liter.

Is there such a thing? Is there space in the engine bay? Anyone done this on a 914?

Seems like it would be a no-brainer move if possible.

TIA,

GN
Superhawk996

Certainly there are big bore kits but they involve machining and a whole lot of other compromises.

Not just a simple plug & play.
Mikedrevguy
Got a friend with a 2700 T4 in a Baja he drag races with.
To reach the higher displacement, not just a matter of pistons, but of stroke.
And then It’s a matter of head work, and exhaust.
Type4Store is another, higher quality retailer.

https://aapistons.com/collections/high-perf...ne-rebuild-kits
Gatornapper
QUOTE(Mikedrevguy @ Jul 28 2019, 07:29 PM) *

Got a friend with a 2700 T4 in a Baja he drag races with.
To reach the higher displacement, not just a matter of pistons, but of stroke.
And then It’s a matter of head work, and exhaust.
Type4Store is another, higher quality retailer.

https://aapistons.com/collections/high-perf...ne-rebuild-kits

Of course! Thanks!

Planning for the future.....

GN
Gatornapper
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 28 2019, 07:26 PM) *

Certainly there are big bore kits but they involve machining and a whole lot of other compromises.

Not just a simple plug & play.

Got it! Thanks!

GN
Valy
On a standard case you can use 96mm pistons without modifications.
You can also opt for a stroker crankshaft. If I remember correctly, 74mm is the largest that doesn't require major case work.
If you're willing to modify the case, there are up to 103mm cylinders and 86mm cranks taking you to over 3L.
Chris914n6
A 2270 is a relatively easy build, but cost wise you are approaching a Subaru swap.
Mikedrevguy
My wife’s 76 got a 2260. And boy does she like it. . . .so do I.
Mark Henry
Over 80mm stroke is hard to do because of cam lobe clearance, 78mm only needs minor case clearance and a reduced base circle cam.
Over 96mm, the 103mm iron cylinders are prone to distortion, for long life you require the expensive nickies.

Best combo for a rookie is the 2056cc 96mm KB pistons and a stock 2.0 crank, then the 78mm stroker and 96mm pistons for 2270cc. Once into nickies cost territory it would make me look hard at a subaru, V8LS or balls in on a /6 conversion build.

I have a 2.6 T4 in my '67 bug (78X102 nickies) and a 3.0 /6 in my 914.
MikeM
Mark...are you no longer recommending the AA 96mm kit?
My car is in the shop right now!!
Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.