Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selling my SURVIOR '73 2.0 - $79,500 OBO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
914Next
Some of you have had the chance to see my '73 914 at the 2017 Octeenerfest. We were honored that it was recognized as the People's Choice and 1st place in the Stock categories.

I won't go into a lot of additional detail in this post but rather will refer you to the link below. It has tons of pics and info that I have posted about this car over the five years that we have owned it. It's TRULY a time capsule. Hardly a cars and coffee goes by that someone doesn't walk up to me and ask If I did the restoration. Nope....all original. I'd place it in the top 5% of all 914's out there for originality. It was a one owner until 2014 and does have 47k miles on it but....well, read my thread below. I know....you may tell me that it's not low mile enough to command that kind of price. May be true but I think there is someone out there like me when I bought it five yers ago. One who recognizes that you only get a chance like this very rarely. I paid above market at the time. Has worked out well for me.

Sara and I are moving to Mexico and I just can't let this one sit. I'm going to be honest....I'll be picky about the buyer...if one steps up. And if no one steps up to pay my asking price, then I'll just keep it in storage until the right person comes along.

Let the rash of shit begin...... : )

Click to view attachment

Steve
Cairo94507
Beautiful car. GLWTS. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Nicest original 914 that I've ever seen in person. I'd place it in the top 1% or better.
IronHillRestorations
I know we aren't supposed to post to threads, so I hope the seller doesn't mind. buuuuut......

I've seen this car up close and personal, and it's hands down the best 914 I've ever seen since they were new at a dealer. This is a spectacular, flawless 914, plus it's a '73 2.0. I'd venture to say as far as an original/perfect car it's more like the top 1 or 2% of all 914's. It's that nice.

For those who recently replied to a thread about being able to get a brand new 914, well this is that car.

GLWTS!
914Next
Perry and Mark.....Thanks! Your opinions mean a lot considering your knowledge of these cars.

Steve
tpines
Beautiful 914 and I believe it's worth every penny! Hope it sells fast!

Clark
iwanta914-6
I remember when you came here looking and went back and read some of your threads prior to purchasing. First, I hope you get your asking price. It will be a nice return on your initial investment for sure. I just cannot believe the car came from up here in Minneapolis. It's nearly impossible to keep any car, let alone a 914, that pristine and original up here. It really shows how well the original owner cared for it.

Funny looking back just 4 years ago that people thought it was pretty crazy to buy a 914-4 for more than $35k.

Good luck with the sale, it's beautiful!
BENBRO02
This is the best original 914 I have ever seen too. It helped make the 2017 Okteenerfest an awesome experience.
JeffBowlsby
Take this one to the auction for the broadest audience.
914Next
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 29 2019, 03:20 PM) *

First of all, thanks to all of you who have commented. We have been pretty astounded by the really nice comments from the experts and others who have seen it. Humbling in a way. We know it's an amazing example but your comments just weren't expected.

Jeff as for the auction, which one? Amelia? I know Werks Reunion happens just before Amelia Island. So one of the big auctions at Amelia could be interesting. I guess we are also thinking about the fees related to selling it there and of course the unknown factor as to whether the higher price would justify paying the fees. We're in Georgia so would be easy to get there though.

Of course we want to maximize the return on our investment but I also like the idea that this car goes to a true 914 nut first and a porsche nut or car collector second. I know, I probably have to let go of that.

Will give that some thought Jeff. Other input is appreciated.

Steve
mepstein
QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 29 2019, 04:00 PM) *

First of all, thanks to all of you who have commented. We have been pretty astounded by the really nice comments from the experts and others who have seen it. Humbling in a way. We know it's an amazing example but your comments just weren't expected.

Jeff as for the auction, which one? Amelia? I know Werks Reunion happens just before Amelia Island. So one of the big auctions at Amelia could be interesting. I guess we are also thinking about the fees related to selling it there and of course the unknown factor as to whether the higher price would justify paying the fees. We're in Georgia so would be easy to get there though.

Of course we want to maximize the return on our investment but I also like the idea that this car goes to a true 914 nut first and a porsche nut or car collector second. I know, I probably have to let go of that.

Steve

agree.gif with the high end auction. I sell the low end shop cars on pelican or eBay but the high end goes to Mecum (90 minutes away) or some other place. That’s where guys with money go expecting to spend it.
It’s sort of like real estate sales, you pay a commission or fee but it’s a ready to go network of buyers.
If you sell, I hope you and Sara stay in the 914 community.
TJB/914

I agree with Jeff, take it to the deep pocket guys. Your original 914 is worth the asking price. pray.gif
w00t.gif 914 values are climbing & restoration costs are expensive using NOS parts.

I am also thinking about selling my 914 when the market hits $50K+ for restored 914's. stirthepot.gif

Tom

jdamiano
QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 29 2019, 02:00 PM) *

Steve

Goodings at Amelia Island is the one you would want. Lots of Porsche enthusiasts there!! I personally watched a 914 sell there for 90k in 2018. It only had 3500 miles but had a couple weird things going on. If yours is as nice as described here you may go 6 figures there. Good luck!!

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1974-porsche-914-2-0/
mepstein
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jul 29 2019, 05:33 PM) *

Steve

Goodings at Amelia Island is the one you would want. Lots of Porsche enthusiasts there!! I personally watched a 914 sell there for 90k in 2018. It only had 3500 miles but had a couple weird things going on. If yours is as nice as described here you may go 6 figures there. Good luck!!

Didn’t Ross’s calypso get ~$60 at auction recently ?
sholman5
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jul 29 2019, 05:33 PM) *

Steve

You really have to see this pristine specimen of an original 914 to appreciate, not only for its value, but more so it's beauty. Saw it at Okteenerfest in 2017. Still had the green markings on the lugs from the factory.

Chris

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Those green paint marks are the subject of much conversation...

Some may appreciate their authenticity and add value, others not so much and deduct value. Personally I think Steve did the right thing by leaving them painted.
Jett
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 29 2019, 05:32 PM) *

Those green paint marks are the subject of much conversation...

Some may appreciate their authenticity and add value, others not so much and deduct value. Personally I think Steve did the right thing by leaving them painted.

Agreed... I put chrome plastic caps over mine.
thelogo
Price seems a tad sky high

But could be worth more , less etc
Nice paint icon_bump.gif

Low milage concourse is not my scene through

Takes all the fun out of it for me flag.gif

Yes my fuhrer 🇩🇪
Is this forum now north Korea or wtf

Assclown s
914_teener
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 30 2019, 01:11 PM) *

Price seems a tad sky high

But could be worth more , less etc
Nice paint icon_bump.gif

Low milage concourse is not my scene through

Takes all the fun out of it for me flag.gif

If it's not your scene and you don't know what it is worth then please leave your comments to yourself.

iwanta914-6
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 30 2019, 03:11 PM) *

Yes my fuhrer ������������
Is this forum now north Korea or wtf

Assclown s

Well, technically we are not supposed to comment on for sale posts, but we all do it anyway...

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 10 2012, 08:09 AM) *

Do not comment on people's ads unless you are interested in purchasing the item or vehicle and you are requesting further information from the seller.

If you have personal issues with a seller, keep them as such... personal.

If you think the ad is misleading, contact the seller and an Admin via private message.

Any further abuse or violations of the site rules (name calling) will get you banned.
914Next
Thanks, all. I agree that there are forum rules that prevent people from commenting and the admins will need to decide how to handle. But, for the record, I don't mind the comments, positive or negative. Learning much here and getting good ideas as to how to handle the 914. I'm beginning to lean toward exploring the auction route. Just need to research that a bit more. Maybe in the meantime that perfect buyer will come along.

It's all good....

Steve
thelogo
welcome.png

🇺🇸 ?
Rav914
I'd take it to auction. Avoid the tire kickers.

Another example: 1974 2.0 Ravenna Green smile.gif 17,288 miles, sold for $89,600 at Bonhams, Amelia Island.

If yours is as nice as they say...your price may be a little low.

(images are reversed)
914_teener
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jul 31 2019, 01:23 PM) *

I'd take it to auction. Avoid the tire kickers.

Another example: 1974 2.0 Ravenna Green smile.gif 17,288 miles, sold for $89,600 at Bonhams, Amelia Island.

If yours is as nice as they say...your price may be a little low.

(images are reversed)

agree.gif

I read the story about this car back when the OP bought it. About that time I decided that I would keep my car stock as possible and reversed course of converting it to a six.

When I bought my 987 the 914 just started sitting and it pained me to see it sit and start collecting dust. I didn't need to sell it and I too sought somebody I thought deserving who would keep it.

No offense to The World, but when I listed it here, I didn't have any serious inquires for the car even though it was well known in SoCal. I just though I'd give the crew a first shot at it.

I'd also recommend the auction route. I had more serious inquires on Rennlist then The World. It seems like the 914 is for sure gaining collector car interest particularly in the Porsche circles as the longhoods are just out of reach now.

This car is tenfold or more what my car looked like and in condition.

GLWTS and your search for the next caretaker.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 31 2019, 07:03 PM) *

No offense to The World, but when I listed it here, I didn't have any serious inquires for the car even though it was well known in SoCal. I just though I'd give the crew a first shot at it.

I'd also recommend the auction route. I had more serious inquires on Rennlist then The World. It seems like the 914 is for sure gaining collector car interest particularly in the Porsche circles as the longhoods are just out of reach now.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. "World" members are enthusiasts for the most part, not collectors. Enthusiasts will never pay up for something they cannot drive. Collectors have a lot of money but no soul, lol. j/k
JeffBowlsby
They musta got vaccinated huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THgOiEKRmsY
Tdskip
High end auction all the way, but thanks for listing it here.

Good luck with the sale (and thanks for being good natured about the discussion).
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 30 2019, 02:55 PM) *

Thanks, all. I agree that there are forum rules that prevent people from commenting and the admins will need to decide how to handle. But, for the record, I don't mind the comments, positive or negative. Learning much here and getting good ideas as to how to handle the 914. I'm beginning to lean toward exploring the auction route. Just need to research that a bit more. Maybe in the meantime that perfect buyer will come along.

It's all good....

Steve

Personally I think your price is way too high............only because I can't afford it. smile.gif
Sea Rooster
What part of Mexico are you moving to? I go there once or twice a month on business (Guadalajara and Hermosillo) and dig the lifestyle and cost of living.

Good luck with the car, it’s stunning.
914Next
QUOTE(Sea Rooster @ Aug 1 2019, 06:50 PM) *

What part of Mexico are you moving to? I go there once or twice a month on business (Guadalajara and Hermosillo) and dig the lifestyle and cost of living.

We're moving to the Lake Chapala area just about a 30 minute drive from the Guadalajara airport. Great climate and great local feel but there are quite a few gringo retirees from Canada and the US there also.
ric birks
Beautiful example of a 914. And thats all Im going to say about that.
Sea Rooster
QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 1 2019, 07:13 PM) *

We're moving to the Lake Chapala area just about a 30 minute drive from the Guadalajara airport. Great climate and great local feel but there are quite a few gringo retirees from Canada and the US there also.

I’ve been to Lake Chapala and Ajijic. Nice, sleepy little towns but to slow for me. Guadalajara is a nice.

Have fun in MEX!
914Next
QUOTE(Sea Rooster @ Aug 3 2019, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 1 2019, 07:13 PM) *

I’ve been to Lake Chapala and Ajijic. Nice, sleepy little towns but to slow for me. Guadalajara is a nice.

Have fun in MEX!

Thanks. We're moving to Riberas....just down the road a mile or so from Ajijic. You're right, by many people's definitions they are sleepy little towns but after years working at a crazy ass pace, my goal is to ride my mountain bike and get bored! It's a lovely place with great people.

Really starting to lean toward one of the auctions after getting good input here. Thinking Amelia Island next year. RM Auctions, Bonhams or Gooding. I think RM does only no reserve? Not necessarily afraid of a no-reserve auction when there is big money in the room looking to buy. Need to think about that and also research fees and requirements for each. Open to suggestions here guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.